“Charming little hotel”
Review of Hotel Acadia

Hotel Acadia
Ranked #59 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Acadia From May 29 - 31.

The ladies at the front desk were extremely pleasant and we were very happy with the service provided by them. Each girl was very friendly and always willing to answer questions about the city or assist us with any issues.

Hotel is in a great location (on a sidestreet)... very close to the Chateau Frontenac, St. Jean street, the Citadelle and Parliament. Everything was within walking distance and we didn't have to take any taxis anywhere.

Our room was 501... on the highest floor. The room was quite small, any only accessible by stairs, but the hike up didn't bother us! The room was very clean, and we found the bed to be comfortable. As a bonus surprise... our washroom had a jacuzzi tub! This was not in our room description but maybe it was a standard feature ? The washroom appeared to be very recently renovated and was very clean. It had an exposed brick wall and charming wooden furniture.

Our only complaint with this room was the view (just looked out onto the wall of building next to it) and a peculiar humming noise coming from the wall. Our room was basically right next to the outdoor "hot tub" area so we believe the motors for the tub were running next to our room wall or something. There was a steady humming noise coming from one side of the wall all night. As we were only there for 2 nights we didn't bother asking for another room.

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic, charming hotel for a stay in Quebec. Plus, the price was unbeatable ($95 CDN/night, which included continental breakfast each morning and some other coupons).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2009

We were going in Quebec City my boyfriend and I and decided to stay at the Hotel Acadia. The experience was wonderful from the beginning to the end. We had a very nice and clean room with a nice brick wall in the room that gave it a very nice rustic aspect; the staffs were smiling and very helpful. The restaurant "Feu Sacre" where we had breakfast was superb, very nice atmosphere and great service. There was also a free access to the Spa on the top of the hotel that we appreciated a lot. It was a perfect place to stay, the location couldn’t be better and the price was also more than decent! We will certainly go back to the Hotel Acadia on our next visit in Quebec City!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Acadia on April 13th, booking their Romance Package, for a well-deserved break. We found the room pleasant enough, but a little underwhelming—they make the rooms look far bigger in the photos, and you can't tell that the ceilings are low. The bed didn’t seem spacious enough for two either.

The package included a whirlpool bath for two. Well, they said it was for two but it was barely possible. Bubble bath would have been nice, and a moisturizer—not just a cheap looking shampoo/body gel that we didn’t touch—but the real problem started after we got out of the tub. When we were sleepy and in bed, the damn thing started blasting away on a drying cycle. Really, really, loudly. We would settle back down for five minutes and off it would go again! After 4 unpleasant blasts, we were wide awake and furious. When we called to complain, we were told that the bath is automatically set to do this for 30-40 minutes! There was no indication anywhere that this would happen.

Then at 6AM, the room became filled with light and we woke up. The curtain material was thin and there was a stained glass window with no curtain at all, so we didn’t get a good night’s sleep even after the rocky start.

At the reception desk, we were treated with indifference and even thinly veiled hostility. The 30-40 minutes of dry-cycle blasting was "normal", the woman said. (In our experience with plenty of private whirlpools in hotels, it's never happened before!) Then she said that they “try” to warn people at check-in. I said that they should have a sign on the tub instead. "Thank you, we'll make a note of it," she said insincerely.

I told her that we were unhappy after this unpleasant experience (and from her reaction, it’s bound to be repeated with other guests). This was $160 a night, after all, off season. At this the woman became very condescending and very cold. Some astounding, nonsensical arguments poured forth: "What were we doing bathing just before bed anyways—that’s not common." 'The stained glass window is pretty—other people love how the room is filled with the light." “And a discount is out of the question since the off-season rate is already a discount." It’s WE who were getting a good deal from HER, she said, and then listed the cheap bottle of wine, the continental breakfast and the (slightly strange) parking included—and I gave up trying to reason with this woman. What a horrible experience, on top of an unpleasant stay.

Contrast this with our delightful dinner at Au Parmesan, where happy, smiling staff made us feel welcome and valued. The food was super delicious. A small error was made, which was immediately acknowledged and authentically apologized for, rapidly rectified, and lovely limoncello was offered as well as two clean digestif glasses to take as a souvenir. This is the way to keep customers coming back. At Hotel Acadia, THEY JUST DON’T GET IT.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Hotel Acadia. Our room was pretty with a lovely large en-suite bathroom and comfortable bed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even when we paid with traveller's cheques which caused them to be a little flumoxed.
The addition of a free jacuzzi in the hotel was an extra bonus as was the free (or discounted) breakfast at the restaurant around the corner!

I could not recommend it for those who are unfit though, as it is not only up a steep hill, but our room was at the top of a very long and narrow set of windy stairs! Not easy with a suitcase!

But overall, a lovely hotel and excellent service.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonTbird
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I booked the Hotel Acadia with confidence after reading a review from this site and seeing the hotel images posted. This property was also listed as a level 3 hotel for the conference that I was attending. The best part of the stay was that the hotel was in walking distance to the convention center (quite a walk), and located within the old town tourist attraction area. It was also clean. Breakfast was provided off site; the food was good; the service very poor. The negatives are that I did not get the room promised. I was assigned a room on the 5th floor (extremely steep and narrow staircase and no elevator) and told I would have to change later in the stay;some day time receptionist staff were not particulary helpful. There is central heating only so I was very uncomfortable most of the stay. In addition, my refurnbished room was only passible, with the bare essentials and a tiny makeshift tbathroom. I expected a tiny room in Paris with bare essentials; however, this stay was more uncomfortable than the Paris stay. A more customer oriented staff would make up for some of the other deficiencies. I would not stay here again. Be aware that that site evidently has a wide range of room types; so what you are seeing on this site and what others have posted may not be what you get.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was positively impressed by the Hotel Acadia - the rooms were superbly furnished and had everything we needed. More surprising was the nice breakfast included at a restaurant just around the corner as well as the nearby parking made available to guests for a cost of $12 a day (very reasonable for Old Quebec). The best part of this hotel was its excellent location near the citadel in the fortified part of the city (Old Quebec) - everything was within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank crash2k8
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We just got back from a weekend stay at the Acadia. I travelled with my husband, parents, sister, her husband and their 3 yr old daughter. I stayed in room 121, in the basement. Even though the room was in the basement, I felt like I was on the top floor because it was bright and cheery. The room itself was small but enouigh space for my husband and I to move around freely in. The staff was very pleasant. We were steps away from all the attractions.
All in all, I was extremely satisfied with the hotel. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family