New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #53 of 108 Hotels in Quebec City
Austin, Texas
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Acadia. We had booked a Superior room which was on the 1st floor/basement. There were only two rooms down there which was nice - it felt kind of secluded. We never heard any noise from the people next to us or anything from above us. Also, there are no elevators in the hotel so instead of dragging our 4 large suitcases up several flights of stairs, we just had to drag them down one small flight of stairs, which was a relief. The day we checked out, we asked if we could use a "staff only" exit on our floor (it was where the valet parking guys went in and out) to load up our car and they allowed us to do that without any problems (We weren't initially sure if an alarm would sound if we opened the door). Our car was parked right outside this door and it meant we didn't have to drag luggage up the stairs, so that was a huge convenience. The view from the room wasn't spectacular - it was a view of the valet parking area, but we didn't go to Quebec City to just sit in our room and stare out the window all day long so this wasn't a problem for us.

The room itself was spacious and cozy. We had a king sized bed, a whirlpool bathtub and a nice shower. My first of only two complaints about the room was the fireplace. It was electric and for looks only. I had personally never seen an electric fireplace before, but this was basically just a screen with a projection of a fireplace on it. So it looked nice, but really served no purpose. It would have been much nicer with a gas or a fully functioning fireplace in the room. Normally I wouldn't care about a fireplace in the room but during our entire stay the outside temperature was below freezing so a warm, cozy fireplace would be a nice addition to the room. My second complaint was the shower. It looked nice and the bathroom was large and very clean, but we had a hard time getting the water to the right temperature. Moving the shower handle a teeny tiny fraction of an inch was the difference between scorching hot water or ice cold water. I feel like I spent the majority of my time in the shower just trying to find that one spot where the water wouldn't scald me or freeze me. But on a positive note, I've stayed at old hotels before where the hot water dies out after a few minutes and that wasn't the case here. There was definitely hot water! It was just very hard to get the shower at a normal temperature.

The front desk staff were very pleasant and spoke both English and French, which was a plus for me because I don't speak a word of French (though my husband does speak a little).

The location is fantastic. Its right in the old city within walking distance to everything in the historical area. We were there during a snow storm and a few days of VERY cold weather, so one would have thought it would seem like we were walking forever just because we were cold and uncomfortable, but I never felt like any of our walks were extreme. We we able to easily walk to the Citadelle, various different restaurants, the lower part of the old city (and to the Funicular if you didn't feel like walking down or back up from the lower town) and anywhere else within the old city gates.

The hotel is old, so guests should be prepared for that. In my experience most small, old hotels don't have elevators, the rooms are all different shapes and sizes and in general the place looks old. So if you don't like historical places like that, then I'd suggest finding a more modern hotel. However, if you like and appreciate old buildings then you'd probably love this hotel! We would definitely stay here again if we ever end up back in Quebec City!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brooklet425

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Hotel Acadia for 5 days 4 nights. Upon arriving on the 26th of December and checking in we were assigned room 321 (parking lot view). Checking in was a breeze, hotel personnel was polite. We took our carry-ons one flight up, no problem, until we saw the size of the bed. We thought we booked a room with a queen size bed, but it was a twin/full"?" That was a mistake. Went back down to ask the clerk if they were fully booked and would it be possible to switch to a room with a bigger bed or two twins; he checked and said no they weren't, he didn't see a problem, but he had to check with the manager. Waited outside the office he came back and stated the manager said no- the only way we could switch rooms was to pay an extra $10 per day and to spend 1 night in the small room and switch the next day since we were only staying for 5 days/4 nights... I said never mind, thanks anyway. The room we occupied needed dusting above the headboard, and the heater was a bit loud, we didn't want to turn on the tv too loud, but you couldn't hear when the heater was on. The hotel should look into investing in a new mattress for that room, it was sunken in the middle and very uncomfortable. Also a small fridge would not be a bad idea. The batteries to the tv died on our fourth day, just told the desk upon leaving that morning and they had them when we came back that afternoon. We liked the locale of the hotel which was walking distance to all such as outside the walled city, lower town, Le Chateau Frontenac and Funiculaire when you don't want to back up from lower town. Also see my review of restaurants for this trip. Our first full day there was a snow storm, which caused my daughter and I to have fits of laughter during our sightseeing as the wind was blowing us around and she thought I didn't catch on to what she was doing when she kept suggesting we go in and eat. We ended up eating 3 meals a day which we usually don't do. LOL....

Room Tip: Double check your room accomodations.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Happy-In-Vegas-1
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in Hotel Acadia. We paid a bit extra to get the superior room (210). As some noted, the sink was in the room, that didn't bother us. We had an electric fire place and an awesome shower. The shower was ultra modern with very good water pressure. The room was good size for the two of us, our suitcases and ski gear. The room was a bit hot, but that was great for drying wet clothes after playing in the snow.
Room 210 is on the first floor facing the street and next the the office, so the noise from both locations bothered us, but did not ruin our vacation. We could hear road trucks and cars on the street. If you wanted to take a nap during the day, as we did upon our arrival, the noise in the lobby and office was a bother. Thus, I would recommend getting a room at the higher floor and not facing the main street.
The location was great. The hotel is in the old city close to main attractions, but not in the mids of it, which we found good for us. We did not have a car with us, so we walked everywhere.
The staff was very friendly and spoke both French and English.
The room was very clean, especially the bathroom.

Room Tip: We tried the jacuzzi one day. It was nice. They limit number of people to 6, so ask in advance and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Friendly helpful front desk. Good size room with a lovely spa to soak away the aches of a days walking. No lifts but plenty of stairs to get the attic. Buffet breakfast around the corner well presented.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blackwidows
e.freetown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our 1st time there & it was clean, warm, parking of car was right there at the hotel, made it nice
will be back. Ask for a room on the lower floors & was given room 202 which was very nice, see
u in th spring.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank E_freetownMacky
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Acadia in October 2012 and loved it!! The location is perfect as you are right in side the walls of the city. We found it to be very quiet even though we were right by the stairs. The staff were very helpful and accomodating. We went to a restaurant right around the corner from the hotel for supper. we ate at Cafe de Paris...wow!! The service was excellent and the food was delicious!! I had the veal and it was so tender I could cut it with my fork. It melted in my mouth. For breakfast the next day we went around the corner again for a complimentary buffet. The crepes were fantastic.
You have to pay for parking at the hotel but they let us check out and leave our car there for free during the afternoon. We really thought that was really nice as there is no such thing as free parking in Old Quebec City.
I left my cell phone in the the public washroom at the hotel after we finished exploring Old Quebec. And didn't realize I had left it until a few hours later. We called the hotel and they had found it. They held onto it for me until we cold make our way back to the hotel.
We would definetly stay there again!! Thanks again to the wonderful staff at Hotel Acadia!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shelley D
frankbeo, Director of Sales at Hotel Acadia, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear guest,
We're pleased to see that you loved your stay at our Hotel Acadia! As you mentioned, our hotel is located near all the main attractions of the city and in a historic neighborhood. Thank you for writing such a nice review of our hotel. We would be really happy to welcome you again on your next visit!
Maple Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is one of the cutest "small" hotels in Old Quebec but you must be in great shape because of the stairs unless you are taking a room on the first floor. Old hotel - no elevator. The location is perfect, close to St-Jean street and Chateau Frontenac, the people are great and the room we had was very nice.

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms - but the one we had on the 4 floor was great and had a nice...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrancineZia S
frankbeo, Director of Sales at Hotel Acadia, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear guest,
We're pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel Acadia. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We would be happy to welcome you again on your next visit!