“Know your subject matter and you will enjoy!”
Review of The Image Mill

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Image Mill
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We spent a few days visiting many museums and exhibits before seeing the multi-media show. Technically it's fantastic. The subject matter is quiet meaningful if you understand the local history.
I loved the sights and sounds. I hope to have another opportunity to see it again so I can catch some of the things I missed. A must for those of us who appreciate history. Those who do not; are destined to repeat the mistakes of past. C'est Dommage...
There is no chare but encourage you to arrive at least 30-40 minutes early to find good spot. Many enjoyed it from pier with canteen at end. They enjoyed ice cream & beer with the rockets red glare...

3  Thank RevDrRobert

Reviewed August 25, 2012

As you've seen from previous reviews, this is a multi-media presentation set to some sound effects and music that is projected (3D is NOT a correct description) on 302 tightly packed white grain silos on the Quebec waterfront. It is particularly interesting if you've een the silos during the day -- as it is just a worn-looking industrial facility that is truly transformed by this night time spectacle. It is worth seeing for the technological innovation involved, if for no other reason. Reserved seats are $18 but you really don't need to get them because you can see and hear it from many points around the marina or overlying residential area. The problem is -- the content doesn't live up to the spectacle. If this were in Las Vegas or New York, it would be set to a dramatic musical score and be resplendant in colors and cohesive in narrative. Instead, this is a hodge podge of mostly old black and white footage of Quebec's 18th, 19th, and 20th century history that really doesn't make sense to visitors unfamiliar with that history or with some of the leaders portrayed. There are a few colorful scenes -- like day and night panoramas of Quebec City, piano keyboards being played, and fireworks. But most is newsreel footage. Mixed in are images of x-rays, chemists, laser scientists, airport terminals, a rock guitar concert -- all of which seem sort of random. The subtext here is that Quebec started out as a fortified shipping depot and evolved into a modern metropolis with, you know -- airplanes and science and everything! I'd love to see the venue and technology used to display great works of art, or as a gigantic light organ set to a bold musical score, or even a properly narrated summary of historical events. But, with the content as it is -- I'd have to say it was a disappointment. I was really glad I went. And I stayed for the whole thing. But I was getting distracted and thinking about leaving after the first few minutes. Also, for families with kids -- be aware it starts at 9:30 PM and runs 45 minutes. So expect some sleeping or cranky little ones. I don't think it will hold the attention of tired young children. If only Disney were the producer!!!

1  Thank canalcruiser
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I had planned on going down to the waterfront to see this, but after a long day of driving, we just wanted to stay in our room. We were staying in a gorgeous river view room on the 21st floor of the Hilton. The concierge (Stephan) suggested that if we were tired but wanted to see it we look out our window and tune the radio to 97.5 for the sound......perfect! I thought we had the best view, until the next day when the concierge suggested we try viewing it from the ramparts near rue sous le cap......close enough to get the full experience, but far enough away from the crowds and cooler waterfront! Either way, a great show for those who want to learn more about the history and people's of Quebec.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were really looking forward to this, and while I appreciate the talent behind putting this together and displaying it we were bored silly pretty quickly. Wish we'd chosen the circ de soleil instead.

1  Thank SoPoMaine
Reviewed July 1, 2012

What a wonderful multi-image show this is. We had never seen anything like it. Arrive 20 minutes before showtime to get a good seat--earlier during weekends. Lasts about 45 minutes. Don't miss it--kids will love it, too.

4  Thank Laura B