“Vive le St Antoine ...”

Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
“Vive le St Antoine ...”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Quebec City has been equated to the landmark Frontenac Hotel for some thirty years of my visits there , however extensive undergoing renovation gave me the pretext to change, luckily discovering Auberge St Antoine !
Extremely we'll located in the Old city , it was easy to find and park after a 7 hour drive from the USA ..
My wife and i found the bilingual staff genuinely friendly and helpful, from front desk to the restaurant all well versed in the art of hospitality.
The grounds are architecturally intriguing and most creatively furbished.. The bar area has alcoves rooms with fireplaces for a truly intimate feeling which we and other guest cherished for a light dinner ... until a group of children and oblivious parents took over the place marring an other wise special evening. Couples beware as I was told by the management that (noisy) children were allowed in Bar area !
The full fare Panache restaurant had the best diner and brunch I ever had in Quebec, fresh produce , excellent fish and meats ,delicious combinations assorted of a truly creative wine list and a concern for special diets will make us come back.
Our room, on the 6th floor was very pleasant .. One window overlooking a not so interesting roofing skyline another offering a limited view of the fortified city above... .a large balcony- now filled with snow - was left aside for the Summer days.
Wonderfully quiet, the space was well sized, with a desk , a bar area -Expresso machine and organic teas -. The bathroom was very spacious, modern and well appointed .
To sum it up ! My wife and I had here a great start at the New year. ...oh I forgot to mention the great tour of the City in a caleche drawn by " Peggy Sue"... as organized by Auberge St Antoine part of the package for the occasion.

Room Tip: ask for top floor room overlooking St Lawrence.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Grapeman1
AubergeSaint-Antoine, Public Relations Manager at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Grapeman1,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Auberge Saint-Antoine and that you spoke so highly about our restaurant Panache. It is true that our Café-Bar Artéfact accepts children; we offer a menu that is more accessible to them. We took note about the inappropriate noise level during your stay.
We wish to have the chance to see you again in the future and wish you a happy 2014.

Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I rely on TA a lot and have learned to read between the lines from reviewers. Rarely am I interested in the #1 rated hotel in any destination. However, in regards to my personal taste - this hotel and all the positive reviews are spot on.
I was attracted to visiting Old Quebec after seeing a photo of Petite Champlain decorated for Christmas. I wanted a cozy, elegant, boutique hotel for our four day stay and Auberge Saint-Antoine was quite simply, perfect.
From email correspondence to direct phone calls, every one I spoke to was... Well, let me just say, their service is exceptional - on all levels. I booked a suite and their New Years Eve pkg.
Instead of repeating the positives of what others have said, I would rather like to add my remarks on some of the negative comments.
The "bar" has about four seats - the "bar area" is perfectly sized and suited to the size of this hotel. There are cozy tables and nooks and crannies everywhere. We had drinks and appetizers one evening - never felt rushed and the service was ... see title of my review. If you are in a rush, perhaps this isn't the place for you.
We had a corner suite, and yes it was a bit drafty (lots of windows) - the temp. was also well below zero and it was very windy during our stay - Dec., 29th - Jan., 1st. So, we turned up the heat and closed the drapes - warm and cozy. Our suite had two thermostats - one in the bedroom and one on the living area end. Heated floor in the bathroom was divine and our family of four never ran out of hot water - and we all took long, hot showers.
We ate breakfast at Panache every morning and it was the best breakfast I have ever had, anywhere - atmosphere, service and food. Since I had booked the New Years Eve pkg., we had brunch on NewYears Day. All members of my family loved the salmon dish but I wasn't crazy about anything on the menu. So, I asked for eggs and croissants - no problem. They also brought toast, reg and gluten free, for my husband and daughter, as it was at their request.
My children are teenagers, well traveled and very well behaved. I do not appreciate unruly children. During our four day stay, I never saw one unruly child anywhere in the hotel.
To sum it up... Our stay was wonderful! And to quote Genevive (conceirge) - "we want to do everything we can to make our guests happy" and, from my personal experience, they certainly did.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank people2people
Dear People2People,
We are very happy to read your constructive comments but even more that you found the hotel perfect. All comments will be shared with the department heads and allow us to continue offering a great hotel day after day to our guests.
Happy New Year to you!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment . We booked to spend New Year's Eve and Jan 1st . We reserved , at quite a costs I may add for the New Year's Eve dinner and the brunch on the 1st.

Upon arrival we decided to check in to our rooms and then to have a cup of tea in the bar. The bar was far from full, a few couples sat at tables seemingly waiting to be served. We waited, nobody came to seat us so we sat at a table which had not been cleared. We waited a further 30 minutes before anybody came to serve us, 10 more minutes for somebody to clear the table , finally the hot water for my tea arrived but no milk , no spoon. I asked for both 20 minutes later when the water for the tea was cold the milk ( no spoon ) arrived. So it took me over an hour to have tepid cup of tea. It's New Year I said to myself, they are obviously a little busy. Next we went up to our room for a nice bath or shower but neither was an option as there was no hot water, we are talking about a room @ 900 $ a night. We had a draft through the door leading from the terrace too so the room was cool and certainly not comfortable. Dinner that night was Ok but why this place is considered a Relais Chateau is anybodies guess. I have been to top class hotels all over the world and this was not what we had expected. Indeed, the Thai meal we had on the 1st in a little restaurant in the old town was way better than anything on offer at the auberge.
The following morning we went down to have BRUNCH, except there was no brunch, the menu consisted of basically the same sort of things we had eaten the night before, oysters, foi gras ect. I asked if we could have any eggs or toast, anything breakfasty, the answer was "no". I am not an expert but I am old enough to know that a brunch is meant to be just that a mix of breakfast and lunch. We left and had a lovely brunch at the fairmont.
The management did deduct the cost of the Brunch we did not have and offered us breakfast on the morning of the 2nd but overall we came home feeling we had just paid a lot of money for fairly ordinary services and food. I would not go back again. The Germain and Hotel 71 have better rooms,better services.
my late father used to walk out of places like this, stamp his feet outside of the front door as if to get the dust of his feet. I did the same thing this morning.

Stayed December 2013
9 Thank Jonathan V
Dear Jonathan V,
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment about your stay and will take note of your comments and will share them with the team. Our goal is to have happy guests and to create a great memory of their stay; we only wish that you had informed us while you were still on site. We would like to invite you to contact Martin Dufour, Director of Operations at our hotel, to discuss your comments. I believe you have met during your stay.
We hope to have the chance to see you again and wish you a very happy New Year!

Washington, DC
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had an amazing time on our first trip to Quebec City, in large part due to our excellent stay at Auberge Saint-Antoine. Here are the highlights:
1) Wonderful service, great concierge. We received housekeeping service and turndown service everyday. We were really impressed that we were asked at check-in what time we would like housekeeping to come. There was even a little "Do Not Disturb/Service Please" button next to the bed in case you can't be bothered to get up. That was just one of many sweet little touches in the room. Charles the concierge was extremely helpful, even before our stay. He sent us an email with dining ideas so that we could choose a place for our NYE meal ahead of time.
2) Beautiful room that was super functional but also amazingly cozy. We had a Luxe King room with a view of the fort walls and rue de Saint Pierre. It was absolutely quiet, no noise from the street or other rooms. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept like babies, which rarely happens for us, even in the best hotels. The room had a Nespresso machine and hot tea maker, as well as the typical mini fridge and glassware. There was plenty of closet space and even a built in hamper-- so much nicer than a random plastic bag full of laundry. There was also a comfy little sofa bed with reading lights, which turned out to be my husband's favorite place to lounge.
3) Amazing bathroom. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful with heated floors, a HUGE tub, and open shower. Perfect.
4) The restaurant, Panache, is a beautiful and romantic place for a meal. Dinner is on the pricey side, but we had a delicious and elegant lunch there one afternoon. Room service was great too.
5) Common areas were a great place to spend time. There were three fireplaces in the lobby/cafe area where we loved to read or played games. The holiday decorations were especially beautiful. You can order a snack, cappuccino or glass of wine to enjoy as well.
6) The location was prime. Tucked onto a quiet little historic block, the hotel was a three minute walk to all the most beautiful parts of Old Quebec. We rarely had to venture more than a few minutes in either direction for amazing restaurants and beautiful streets to wander. The hotel itself was actually a stop on our Quebec City walking tour because of the history of the buildings.

From the great service of the valet and front desk personnel to the farewell cookies we received for our drive home, this place impressed from start to finish. It is the only place to stay in Quebec City. Seriously. Go now.

Room Tip: We were in a Luxe King room. The bathroom in a Luxe room is well worth the extra money. We didn...
2 Thank DCMeg
Dear DCMeg,
We are thrilled to read your post and even more about the perfect note that you gave us. All comments are very important, but since we strive for excellence we are always very excited to share comments like yours with the team, especially when they are as well structured as yours.
We wish you a very Happy New and hope to see you again this year.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Felt more like a ski lodge than a boutique hotel. Disappointing dark room. Worn desk and furniture looks outdated. Signature restaurant impressed us as very snobby . When we requested to see a menu just before they opened the waiter told us there was one outside in lobby. At $42+ for entrees I think they could be a little more polite. Other restaurants in town were great! We travel all over the world and we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: The suites looked more roomy.
5 Thank Globtrotter657
Dear Globtrotter657,
We are sorry to read that you did not like your room, the decor of the hotel, the signature menu and are also a bit surprised that you found a person at the restaurant snobbish and want to apologize for this. We take great pride to make our guests feel at home at Auberge Saint-Antoine and feel very bad when this is not the case. All comments are shared with the team and a follow up will be done.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Beautifully modern hotel but cozy with well lit rooms, even warmed floors in the bathroom (separate shower with bathtub), fireplaces, and concierge and reception perfectly bi-lingual, very friendly and helpful. However, (we are not a snobby nor a particularly fussy couple), but when paying $500.00-$600.00 per night, attention to detail is paramount. The service concerning the cafe & turn down needs improvement. It took us 10 min. to get waited on (there were 6 tables), 20 minutes to get a bottle of water and in all 45 min. to get a hamburger (was prepared exactly as we wanted though). But as kind as the waiters were, the service in general seemed chaotic-the same may be said for breakfast but to a lesser extent. When turn down came, we said it wasn't necessary but almost had to give a full explanation as to why there was no trash to throw out! And also, the TV remote drove us nuts! So a star was lost for all of this. Also, just a note of caution as to location, the fun activities listed in Tripadvisor such as dog sledding, seeing St. Anne's Basilica, the Inuit Museum, and the snow sliding park are miles away (e.g. we paid $120.00 + tip to get to the dog sledding) and the snow sliding would have cost more. So you need a car. If those activities are not in your plans (and you didn't drive) then the location is perfect with lots of (always very small but incredibly good) restaurants within 5-10 min.-important in winter. We went just a few days after Christmas and the city is indeed beautifully lit up and well worth bundling up (bring ski clothes!)

Room Tip: Our room faced the St. Lawrence-great view and probably preferable to other possibilities but you do...
1 Thank Linda B
Dear Linda B.
Thank you for taking the time to publish your comments on Tripadvisor. It makes us very happy to read that our hotel is beautifully modern but cozy and to learn that our staff was friendly and helpful. We take your comment about the Café-Bar very seriously and will improve our service in that area. We want to apologize that the service in that particular area was not up to your expectations. We are perfectly located on the Old City and it is true that outdoor activities are a bit more remote and a car or even a rental car are good options to go there. There are shuttles to go to the ski hills and also guided tours to visit the great landscapes that Québec City and area have to offer.
Sincerley,
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful time at the hotel. Very warm and cosy. Food was excellent the lobby great the room superb and even had a small cinema and gym. The staff were absolutely fantastic. Very helpful and attentive. Didn't have a problem to speak English and didn't force you to tip them like the rest of Quebec City. The porters also offered to take us a few places with the hotel cars if they weren't busy instead of calling a cab. Cabs are cheap anyway. Something to improve on would be to clean the dust of the unused items in the rooms like the phone in the toilet, and change dirty sheets especially for long stayers (we stayed a week). Over all very good

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple