“One employee can ruin a good hotel's reputation”

Auberge Saint-Antoine
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed one night (Oct 26-27, 2013) at Auberge Saint-Antoine. We arrived very early (9AM) due to our ship debarking early that morning. Even though check-in time was 4pm, Kim at the front desk was wonderful. She said our requested room was ready, and we were quickly shown to our beautiful, lovely waterfront view room. The room and hotel were both lovely with a modern, minimalist decor. Kudo's to Sarah, the hotel concierge, who did a wonderful job of confirming our return flights to the U.S.

The one big downfall was an ethical one by Emmanuelle at the Front Desk. We loved the room's shower robes, so I inquired if new ones were for sale by the hotel. They said they were for a price of $100. I said fine & was told they would be waiting for us at the front desk the next morning. The next morning my husband went to the front desk to pick them up so we could pack them in our luggage. Emanuelle gave my husband the robe folded and tied nicely. He told my husband that I should check and see if I liked the material since it was different than the ones in the room. So, I checked. I could see no difference in the material whatsoever, but they did seem a little "slightly used". Additionally, the tag on the robe's neck was cut off as were our room robes.
I called Emanuelle, apologized for my call and hoped he took no offense, but said the robe seemed used. I asked if it was new. He stammered and then said "No"; they didn't have any new ones. I said I would be returning the robe to the front desk.

When I returned the robe, I asked him why he didn't tell my husband they were used rather than saying "check the material". He said he "forgot" when speaking to my husband and remembered after he left. I asked why he didn't call our room after he "remembered" rather than my making a $100 purchase without full information. He apologized and said he would have let me know after I made my decision!

I think this is unethical behavior and reflects badly on the hotel and management. I would not stay there again for this reason

3  Thank Harriet A
AubergeSaint-Antoine, Public Relations Manager at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Harriet A,

We are very surprised about your comment. The employee mentioned is with us since a few years and he is a reliable person, who made the mistake in giving you incomplete information. Please note that we take your comment very seriously because we thrive for excellence for our guests and our image is very important to us. As a Relais & Chateaux hotel we have very high standards, therefore we do not sell used bathrobes, we never did and we never will. Neither will we or would we accept unethical behavior from the members of our team.
We are sorry to hear that the despite the service rendered and despite the fact that you found our hotel and your room wonderful, you do not consider to return to Auberge Saint-Antoine.
Sincerley,

Ingrid Lemm

Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

In fact, it would top a LOT of lists. The management of this place have thought of just about everything to make your stay more pleasurable - no half measure is taken and, to be honest, the service and amenities are above and beyond above and beyond.

From the big things like the quality of the mattresses and shower (both unbelievable) down to laying out the TV guide and channel list on your bed for when you arrive, it's obviously run in such a way as to make you say "why can't every hotel do this/have that".

Now, it's not cheap. Nor is it prohibitive, what i would say is that, normally, I'd prefer to have the best room in a worse hotel than the worst room in the best hotel... but this has made me rethink - we booked the only available room (last minute) and it was still everything we needed and more.

The room was made up every time we left it (i've never seen a room made up twice in a day!).

The bar is decent, the mini bar fair (a nice touch - bucking the trend), the brunch in the restaurant was amazing.

We will 100% return.

Room Tip: don't worry about it - we were confined to the smallest/lowest cost room and it was incredible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

You're guaranteed to be happy with your trip to Quebec if you stay at the Saint-Antoine. It combines comfort with aesthetic design and history in a way that few other places do.

The hotel breathes the history of the place. Located on what used to be the shore of the St. Lawrence River, the Saint Antoine is a prime example of how good architecture enhances the landscape, preserves historic artefacts and allows for 21st century lifestyle. The area is really the spot where Quebec was first settled by the French. Throughout the building you will see vitrines exhibiting archaeological objects found on the premises. In the downstairs lounge area, parts of the original walls from the 17th century are preserved.

We felt super comfortable in the evenings when we had some drinks downstairs in one of the two fireplace alcoves. The only negative that can be mentioned here is that the service at this particular lounge is very slow and you actively need to seek the attention of the staff to order something. If they improve that aspect, it will really be difficult to find anything to criticise.

The room was very comfortable. We had one with direct access to a huge terrace area. Because it was already quite cold outside, we didn't really use it much, except for a few minutes in the morning and evening, watching the mighty St. Lawrence River and the huge ships that manoeuvred in it.

A particular delight is the wonderful floor heating in the bathroom. What better way to warm up after spending the day out in Quebec's autumn weather!

The concierge Charles must surely be one of the hardest-working people I've ever met. He spent hours calling around for our spa treatments to ensure my wife and I got what we wanted. The hotel of course has its own spa and fitness facilities, however there are limitations as to the number of people who can use them at any given time.

The breakfast that was included in our room is pretty nice—it's à la carte, not a buffet. Try the house smoothy—it's so delicious, you wonder if it can really be that good for you!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This trip was for our honeymoon and it could not have been anymore romantic or exceptional. The staff is first rate-including our concierge Genevieve who quite literally helped us every day. The restaurant Panache is not to be missed even if you are not staying at the hotel and it turns out that Quebec has gained quite a few new restauranteurs due to their start there. Our accomodations were spectacular and they have a wonderfully cozy bar near the lobby. Would love to go back on our 10th wedding anniversary with our kids!

Room Tip: It seems that this hotel is very quiet in general, but if you want the full experience-get a suite.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

What a truly wonderful hotel to stay in. My husband and I loved every minute of it. We never heard a peep from anyone in any other room or in the halls. The room was very well appointed and I loved the fact that there was a second sink. No jostling for space. Our room faced the water which was really nice. The turndown service was a true delight after getting back from dinner. They thought of everything to help you wind down for the night. Low lights, closed drapes, soft music, water and a card with the next day's weather forecast. Old Quebec is very visitor friendly. Easily walked (except for the occasional hill). The shops were wonderful as were the restaurants. Everyone was so very friendly.

Room Tip: A room facing the courtyard is very quiet.
1  Thank rmeyerhoff
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor reports and we were not disappointed. You are within walking distance to all of Old Quebec, and restaurants...very good ones...are on every street. I won't go on and on, it really is very good.

A suggestion to you. My wife and I like to book private tour guides when we vacation. Just the guide and the two of us. We booked through the hotel. I think they booked us with Grey Line, I'm not 100% sure, you can check through the hotel. If you do book ask for a guide called "Robert". The man is the very best guide that we have ever had. An entertaining historian that clearly loves his city. Book him, he is outstanding!

Room Tip: I doubt that you could find a "bad" room.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel actually is a museum! It is loaded with finds they found when they dug up the ground underneath the hotel. Parts of the hotel are actually in an old warehoue which makes the corridors "interesting" and the rooms spacious. To be honest I have never stayed in such a place before and I was just swept of my feet. The location in Vieux Quebec is just perfect and everything is easy to reach. When I ever get back to Quebec this will be my hotel where I will definitely stay. J'aime l'Auberge Saint-Antoine!