“Great hotel and impressive restoration”

Auberge Saint-Antoine
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Dallas, Texas
“Great hotel and impressive restoration”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am not sure of too much of the back ground story of the building in which Auberge Saint-Antoine is located but given its location and outside facades, it is somewhat older and was a different use at one point. Historic or boutique hotels have charms but often lack amenities and/or feel dirty and aged. New hotels are new and shiny but are often in secondary locations and feel like you could be in any suburb in the world. People often try to take the "best of both worlds" but rarely does it seem to come together. I would say that Auberge Saint-Antoine is the exception where it really does come together and offer the best of all worlds.

We loved the location which is in the lower town, about half way between the water and the Hotel Frontenac. The area where the Hotel Frontenac is located is probably closer to the middle of the town's activities, but I think I like the location of the Auberge Saint-Antoine better. It is on historic streets and tucked in the lower city only a few block from the bustle up the hill but feels like a very quaint, historic and authentic part of the lower city.

The room was spacious for a boutique hotel and the bathroom was nice, new and clean but classic as well. One wall of our room was exposed brick which I thought was a nice touch and made the room feel warm and inviting, and was all a good way to explain the entire hotel. There were many well done small touches aroudn the hotel that made it warm and inviting while also being new and clean feeling. They have little artifacts next to the room numbers outside of each door. It is a little hard to describe but was well done. Also, a good amount of wood and brick exposure around the wall ways and lobby.

The staff was also great. Nothing in particular but attentive and helpful. We changed dinner reservations one night and asked the conceirge to cancel the reservation we were no longer needing and she was great. It was a little thing but that way in which she responded was perfect and exactly how you would want her too.

This is probably one of the most glowing reviews I have ever given a hotel and truthfully, I didn't necessarily even leave the hotel blown away by it, but almost in hindsight everything about the hotel was a cut above and then taken in totality, it is one of the better hotels that I have stayed at. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Wow. This gem of a hotel is hidden on a little alley and it took us time to find it. We had taken the train from Montreal and walked from the very Victorian station. You smell the class the moment you walk up to the front door, past a playful fountain consisting of little heads spitting water in every direction.The lobby is quiet and elegant. The walls are punctuated by small vitrines that hold artifacts found in digs around the hotel grounds. These are dated and descriptions in French and English inform you of the contents. We loved looking at these. (We are fascinated by history - what more can I say?) A bellhop took us to our room, 318. The moment we walked in, we sensed trouble. It's one, narrow window looked out on a brick wall. The room was comfortable, but felt like a cabin aboard a ship. Where was the sun, which was blazing outside at the time of our arrival? We had come too far to settle for this. A trip to the front desk and we were relocated to one of the few 'antique' rooms in one wing of the hotel. We got room 326. Stay away from any room ending in 18, unless you like dark. This was not a modern room, but rather made us feel that the year was 1700, the year shown on the front door. We got a 4-poster bed with a queen-sized mattress, but that was fine. What made the room for us was all the windows. Plus we got a small balcony that we could sit on. No great views to speak of, but all those windows! The room had a kitchenette with a sink, and the rather dingily tiled bathroom had a large tub and a shower stall. (Not a jacuzzi, alas.) Ample towels, bathrobes and slippers. In this large suite was just one mirror - the small one above the sink in the bathroom. I guess in the 1700s, no one used mirrors! We got this much more expensive room for the same price as the smaller room. The front desk staff were very gracious about making sure we were happy, and props to them for that happen. No coupons for breakfast, and so we ate elsewhere. Breakfast is pricey here. Le Cochon Dingue (The Crazy Pig) is nearby and serves reasonable breakfasts in a fun part of town near the hotel. Almost everything is within easy reach of the hotel, located in the basse ville (lower town). The famous Frontenac Hotel is in the haute ville (upper town), reachable via funicular or staircase or steep winding road - take your pick. Panache, the famous local restaurant, is located within the hotel. With Pink Floyd in town that night, there were no available tables, so we ate at 'Initial', just around the corner. Very luxe and very chic. Had a very good tasting menu there. The service was painfully slow, so be patient. The hotel has a very well-appointed spa area and gym. Immaculately clean and very zen. The designers of this hotel knew exactly what they were doing. Staff were wonderful and hugely helpful. We felt sad leaving. A good sign, I think.

Room Tip: When booking, make sure that the room has lots of light (if that's important to you). There don...
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Auberge St. Antoine and I can't say enough about the service and the room. Upon arrival we were greeted with the utmost care and the attention to our needs never ended. For example, while we were there the concierge went beyond by finding us a stroller, we in our rush to depart from home left without one. Our room was incredible we stayed in a suite with old world embellishments. The room had soaring ceilings with huge wooden rafters, some of walls had exposed brick. The king size bed was absolutely comfortable. The room was equipped with a small kitchen two bathrooms, a porcelain, claw-footed tub, shower and living room. We have stayed at several hotels in Quebec City and we have decided that the St. Antoine will be our hotel of choice when we return.

Room Tip: Any room would be wonderful. We had room 322 and it was lovely. I noted that there were rooms with b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wonderful experience from the moment we walked in until the day we departed Quebec City. This is a perfect spot to see this beautiful city, walk to everything! Rooms are imaculate and well decorated, there is lovely decor thoughout the hotel, an oh so comfortable bed, an incredible bathroom with an amazing shower which makes me want to do some home renovating, a delicious five star restaurant, inviting cafe and bar and smiling faces of all the staff, genuinely happy to help with any request.
Although Quebec City is fantastic and beautiful, it is the Auberge Saint-Antoine that comes to mind when I think of this City and it is this hotel that I will go back for.

Room Tip: We loved room 514 with a beautiful balcony looking up at the Frontenac.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Love this hotel! The location is absolutely perfect. The hotel is beautiful and comfortable in every way. The room was well sized, the bathroom modern and luxurious, the bed was very comfortable. I would stay here again and would stay longer if I could. Do I have to go back to work?

3 Thank EttieneR
auberge_littoral, Owner at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Wow! A lot of thanks for this beautiful comment! We hope that your coming back to work was not hard. It will be a pleasure to meet you next time!
Boston
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel has spoiled us for any other. It is beautifully decorated in tones of gray and brown. The lighting is very high tech. We had a very large room overlooking the river (There was a little noise from traffic on the main road but not much). Our room had a piece of the original stone wall, but everything in the room was very modern. The bed was very comfortable and with good pillows. The bathroom had a tub and a shower with a rain head and a wand - your choice.

The Staff at the Auberge was exceedingly pleasant, from the desk check in to the housekeeping and bellman staff.

The location is perfect. The Basse Ville is much livelier that the Haute Ville, and it is easy enough to take the funicular to the Upper Town. We had a rainy day, so we popped into the Musee de a Civilisation, right next door to the Auberge, for a fabulous exhibit of Samurai costumes.

We were sorry to leave such a wonderful hotel.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at many of the best hotels all around the world, and the Auberge Saint-Antoine is in the top two or three.

Its very hidden upon arrival, but inside is something close to a museum. Right at the base of old town, exposed ancient stone walls and artifacts highlight the decor.

Service was 'perfect'. Upon check in they arranged for a preferred turn down service time, to accommodate my schedule. I also had a couple special requests that were handled without fanfare, and to my complete delight.

The concierge recommendations on where to eat, entertainment options, and logistics were especially useful. I was meeting with colleagues that were staying in other area hotels, and they started relying on the recommendations of my concierge on where to go and what to do. Not a single dud.

The restaurant and lounge were exceptional. Eat there at least once, and you will want every meal there.

Rooms were exceptionally clean. The bath and shower were generous streams of water with a direct temperature control. Although the middle of summer, every time I walked into the tiled bath I was met with a warm floor. Comfy!

I cannot recommend this hotel high enough. Big thumbs up!!

Room Tip: I dont have anything to compare to, since I only have tried one room. But I dont think you could ge...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business