“good value for money, great service, pet friendly”

Hotel & Suites Normandin Quebec
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Ottawa, Canada
“good value for money, great service, pet friendly”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here because we were travelling with a small dog and the hotel was pet friendly. We would stay there again, however, because the rooms were well appointed and the service was first-rate. The continental breakfast was very good, with a large restaurant available to patrons. Although not located downtown, access to anywhere in the city was easy. In terms of value for money, this is an excellent choice. (I spend 100+ nights in hotels each year.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
tilouis, Director of Sales at Hotel & Suites Normandin Quebec, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to share your experience in our hotel. Indeed, being pet friendly is a good way to accommodate our customers travelling with their companions and we are happy that it was useful for you. As you mentioned, we have a great location to have an easy access to a lot of attractions points like downtown, but also Galeries de la Capitale, Parc Aquarium du Québec or Village Vacances Valcartier water park. It was also very important for us to provide our guest with a large and inviting breakfast area so they can start their day off right enjoying our expanding continental breakfast formula.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in our hotel when you come back to Québec city.

Sales and marketing manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our room (without carpet!!) was clean and had a lot of space. Our bed was clean. It is a pet friendly hotel, so they gave us a ground floor room (our little dog was with us) (15$ per dog/room). I think it is a smoke-free hotel, cause we saw a few people smoking outside. The lobby was in renovation at the time of our stay and it is closed to a highway. Even so, it was VERY quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
WA
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here for four nights, we were tossing up between staying in vieux quebec or staying here, but glad that we decided to stay here. Parking is ample and free, roads are huge so traffic is not too bad.

The people who stayed here are civilised, no noise whatsoever during the day or night in the hallways or the rooms next door, or maybe it's because the thickness of the walls and doors, I'm not sure. I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to noise at night, so that's really important for me, and this hotel is one of the quietest I've stayed in these last few weeks.

Bed was comfortable, room is good size, internet is free and fast. Some people complained about the glass window in the bedroom that is looking into the bathroom. But this window has a curtain which closes so gives whoever in the bathroom some privacy. My thinking is this place is made for couples / grownups, so unless you're staying in the same room with a parent, or with a platonic friend who has no self-control then you should be fine.

The room came with breakfast, we had the option of having breakfast in the hotel or going to the Restaurant Normandin 2-mins walk away. The breakfast in the hotel is pretty pitiful, just few small croissants, boiled egg, etc, not a hot meal. So, we took the Restaurant option every morning for a hot meal. There's a bit of a queue every morning, since everyone is thinking the same thing. But, it's worth the wait, service is friendly, plenty of variety and portion is good size.

The only negative I could think of is they are in the middle of renovations on the ground floor. We were in fourth floor (highest floor), away from Boul. Pierre-Bertrand, and hear no noise at all. I'm not sure if they're putting anyone on the ground floor, but everytime we went past (every morning & afternoon when we leave and arrive at the hotel) there's a little bit of noise, bit of dust. Anyway, even if there's no reno, the coin laundry and the reception is on that floor, so must be bit noisy.

Room Tip: Renovations on the ground floor. I'm not sure if they're putting anyone in ground floor room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cdbunny
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Here's a hotel which delivers a lot more than its name would suggest! Normandin is better known as a tier-3 populist restaurant chain in Québec, situated between Ashton casse-croute and St-Hubert... great for breakfasts, poutine and pizza, but little else. The hotel however has rooms which rival with some of the better known bourgeois-hangouts like the Jaro-class hotels for instance. We stayed at the Jaro MUST a while back with its ultra modern rooms and I swear the humble Normandin went to school and got it right. Like most new-age hotel rooms in Quebec-City , gone are wall-to-wall carpeting, bathtubs, gaudy and old-English furnishings. In are hardwood floors, efficient and clean designs, brilliant and funky luminaires, ultra-comfy beds and pillows, free WiFi and a 40" flat screen (with both RDS and TSN !) and the nicest shower stall I have seen in a budget hotel ever. Wonderful. The lobby was being renovated when we dropped by and it promises to carry-on the same European flair. Best of all, and I mean it, all staff seem happy, friendly and helpful, and most importantly, are all local and beautiful Quebecois - an amazingly refreshing change from almost anywhere else I have been in the past 25 years. Loved it, and I celebrated our stay with breakfast at .... Le Normandin restaurant... where else...in the adjoining parking lot... had the sinful eggs benedict... Great stay, highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul M
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Very nice hotel with good staff and great rooms. We stayed overnight and were entirely satisfied. The staff made us welcomed, the room was large, clean, and had all the necessary amenities. Good bed.

It is somewhat out of the way in an industrial zone but immediately next to the autoroute thus easy access. Very near a huge shopping mall and not too far from the centre of the city. Taxis are readily available through the reception desk.

They offer free breafast and own the restaurant next door that has a good reputation although we did not use it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
tilouis, Director of Sales at Hotel & Suites Normandin Quebec, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear traveler,

Thank you for the good comments about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the comfort of your room and the warm welcoming of our staff. Our hotel is effectively not well knowed for it’s beautiful surroundings but more for it’s easy access from the main highways and the proximity of many restaurants, shopping malls and plenty of other attractions. Our visitors appreciates that we are located less than 10 minutes drive from the Old Quebec’s beauties and that we are offering nice rooms at a competitive price.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back next time you visit Quebec City.

Sincerly yours.

Louis Morency
Sales & Marketing Director
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My family stayed there for two nights and I loved it! Unlimited Wi-Fi Room service and aniamals aloud! I brougt my little kitty with me :) The breakfeast is really good with things for everyone. I think it`s even better then the Hilton!!!We stayed one night at the hilton and then discoverd this hotel. I don`t know why it only has 3 stars! Cause it`s amazing!

You should defenatly go!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your comments on our Tripadvisor page. I am very pleased that you found our hotel amazing. Lots of our visitors appreciate services like our free Wi-Fi Internet access, our expanded continental breakfast formula and recently our welcoming
Pet-Friendly policy.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Sincerely yours.

Louis Morency
Sales & Marketing Director
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Normandin twice in January 2012. Our first stay was absolutely amazing. The room was clean and had loads of space for our things. The bed was clean and confortable. the shower was great with a rain shower head and a hand held. Very modern looking room.

Our second stay was not a great experience. The room smelled stuffy. The windows do not open for any fresh air. The room was smaller and there was a window looking into the bathroom from the bedroom. It was so uncomfortable to shower and use the facilities. And to top it off, the king bed was actually two smaller beds pushed together with a join in the middle. The join split when my husband and I were sleeping and he rolled right into the hole. It pushed me over to the side and I ended up sleeping on an awkward angle/slope.

I'm nervous as I booked multiple rooms for a few days in April for my family. I'm debating cancelling in case they have a bad experience as well.

Its too bad as I work out of an office nearby. I was planning on staying every second Friday at the Normandin. I've since found other accomodations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple