“Must be experienced!!”

Paillard
Ranked #1 of 28 Dessert in Quebec City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Paillard - Le Café-Boulangerie in the heart of old Quebec City. Fresh baked breads, viennoiseries, pastries, special coffees, soups, salads, gourmet sandwiches, gelato in the summer, also known for our macarons.
Reviewed May 12, 2014

During a recent visit to Quebec City we happened into Paillard. As soon as I walked in the door I knew that I was in "heaven"! As an amateur baker, I was mesmerized by the incredibly attractive breads on the shelves so felt compelled to buy several loaves even tho` we were travelling. The bread were not disappointing!
The next morning we stopped by for coffee & croissants before setting out on the next leg of our journey. The croissants were unbelievably good, light & buttery. The latte was one of the best I`ve ever had with a deep, robust coffee burst. Wonderful way to begin one`s day.
We look forward to our next visit!.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Had a very good experience eating in Paillard. Had a delicious meat sandwich and a tasty soup! Thank god I had space to try the amazing Millefeuille and Équinoxe. Perfect! Delicous!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was staying at The Frontenac and asked the bellman for a coffee recommendation. He tried sending me to the hotel Starbucks but I explained that I wanted something local instead. He sent me to a little cafe down the street- La Cafe Baude I believe it was called. I ordered a cappuccino and the man proceeded to set a cup down under a machine and hit a button which did the whole thing- it was basically like one of those "cappuccino" machines you find in gas stations. I was SO upset! I literally walked outside, took one sip, and then threw the whole thing away. I walked further down the street with the intention of finding illy- which I had passed a few days before- but they were close. I was on the point of giving up, but asked a lady in a shop, and she sent me to Paillard. I had read about their cronuts in a guide book so had been wanting to go there anyways- so this was just perfect that it was right down the street. Paillard is a big, well lit bakery with plenty of seating and one display case after another of beautiful pastries. I ordered a double espresso with whipped cream and it was everything I had hoped for- by far the best coffee drink I had in Quebec. We ended up going back for breakfast our last morning. My mom had an almond crescent that was a flaky and delicate and just to die for! LOVE this place! I sure wish I had something like it near me in Atlanta- I would go there ALL THE TIME!

1  Thank LWickiser
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We went here twice on our recent trip - once for a mid morning treat and once for breakfast sandwiches. Both were great, but I would recommend them especially for their sweet treats - croissants, cakes, chocolates, etc... I highly recommend the almond croissant for something tasty that isn't too sweet. The croissants have great flavour. One of our breakfast sandwiches was a croissant too - delicious.

The seating isn't like a typical cafe - it is wide open. Different, but fine.

It is located on Rue Saint Jean in the heart of Vieux Quebec.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed just around the corner in an air bnb apartment. I was a looking for some croissants for dipping into my coffee so I wouldn't have to leave the apartment the following mornings. The owners of the apartment recommend this spot. It did not disappoint. I bought 3 different croissants. The one with chocolate I admit could have had more chocolate, it came with chocolate chips inside. It was still excellent. They had fresh from the oven flatbread pizza type breads sitting out. They looked amazing but I knew I only had so much time and only one stomach to fill. Will return in the future on my next visit to Québec City.