“Very good stay”

Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Colares, Portugal
“Very good stay”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Le Manoir d´Auteuil at the room 35 in the 3rd floor without elevator. The hotel is inside the walls and close to the main attractions of the old city. The room was large, the bathroom reasonable with the lavatory in the room. The bed was good and the internet fast. The room was not with the windows to the front but to the rear side and perhaps this did the room a litle dark. The service and the cleaning fine. The breakfast at $7.0 was not bad thinking it was continental breakfast, but some egs, meats etc were missing to be fine to me. So the "Le Manoir d´Auteuil" is a good option to visit Quebec City.

Room Tip: Choose a Luxe room if possible with view to the front.
1 Thank elica49
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Bonjour, yes I remember you and your husband so well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 35 is one of our more spacious deluxe king rooms, and yes it is situated on the back side. If we know you prefer a view side room in advance of the reservation, we will do our best to accommodate you, but we cannot guarantee it, unless you reserve a junior suite. Those rooms all have front parliament hill views. It is important to know, however, the view rooms will have some city noise which is not always best for someone who is not used to living in the city. The more we know about your preferences at the time of reservation, the better we can accommodate you!

My only regret was that I do not speak Portugese. It was a pleasure meeting you both at breakfast each morning! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Canada. Un gros merci, Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Oregon
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here for four nights in Quebec City. The location is excellent, within walking distance of lots of great restaurants and sites. The room was very clean,pleasant, and quiet. The staff exemplary in terms of friendliness,courtesy, and willingness to help with anything (reservations, directions, restaurant advice, etc) Staying here made our trip extra special and romantic in this lovely city.

1 Thank PippinSophie
Bonjour, and many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We truly depend on word of mouth, so my sincerest thanks. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to help in making it so special. It was an absolute pleasure, and I hope we will have the chance to serve you again in the future. Enjoy the rest of 2013, and again, un gros merci! Linda
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after a cruise, and the only regret we have is that we weren't there longer. I had made reservations after reading the glowing reviews online, and we were not disappointed. Because we had to be off the cruise ship quite early in the morning, we showed up at about 10 a.m. on our check-in day with quite a bit of luggage. We were warmly welcomed and allowed to leave our bags until our room was made ready - and that was arranged a number of hours before usual check-in time.

We stayed in room 10, which was a spacious and airy king room, with a beautiful bathroom. Incredibly comfortable bed, and great temperature controls in the room. The entire hotel is just lovely - obviously restored with love and care to its original glory with much attention to detail. I thought the light fixtures throughout were exquisite, as well as the artwork. Location is perfect - just inside the old city walls: close enough to easily walk anywhere, but just far enough removed form the main tourist attractions to offer a taste of the quiet beauty of Quebec City.

I celebrated a "milestone" birthday during our stay, and Lucia, who was at the front desk, went out of her way to recommend and make reservations for us at an amazing French restaurant. It turned out to be the best dinner we have ever had. The care and concern shown us by all the staff at this hotel was just over the top.

Hard to say enough positive things about this gem of a hotel and its incredible staff in a beautiful and historic city. Thank you for making our stay in Quebec City memorable!

Room Tip: We loved room 10 - really comfortable king sized bed, high ceilings, and spacious.No view, but very...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your review, your support, and for choosing to stay with us for your "milestone" birthday! I am really touched. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got the chance to meet Lucia. She truly is a gem! There are so many wonderful restaurants in Old Quebec, but we like to share our favorites with our clients. I have no doubt Lucia's recommendation was a fabulous one.

Your room, room 10, is one of our deluxe king rooms. This room is not a view room, but being on the back side, it is exceptionally quiet. The king rooms and junior suites are quite spacious compared to our european and classic queen rooms, so if you have the budget for one, I highly recommend reserving in that category. I still love the charm of the one queen rooms though. They really make me feel like I am in Europe again.

Quebec City has really become a wonderful destination spot for cruisers. Because the ships debark early in the morning, we do receive some fairly early arrivals. We will keep your bags and move them into the room when it is ready so that you can go about your day visiting Old Quebec. Two days is enough to visit Old Quebec, but just barely!

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Especially for a small independent property such as ours, we really depend on word of mouth. Review sites like Trip Advisor are a great tool to help in making the right choice for you. I am glad we met your expectations and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again in the future. Un gros merci, Linda
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our first visit to Quebec City. I chose this place to stay based on Trip Advisor reviews. I have to say that this was a very good choice. It was in walking distance of everything in old town Quebec. We had room #12, which was an upgrade to the smaller rooms. It was in the new section and was a large room with a nice bathroom. It was also pretty quiet, although the street noise does come in a bit. The staff was extremely helpful. We had the breakfast for $7 each both mornings, since there didn't seem to be any good breakfast places real close. It's basic - boiled eggs, croissants, cereal, fruit and yogurt. It would be nice if they added a meat option, even if it meant charging a couple of dollars more. They have another room, #8, which we were able to view, and it was pretty awesome, especially the bathroom. Supposedly, this is the room that Edith Piaf stayed in when she was in Quebec. I would stay at this hotel again if we choose to go back to Quebec.

Room Tip: #12 is an upgrade, but worth the price. Choose #8 if you want to pay an even higher price, but stay...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review. We all really appreciate it. Your room, room 12, is one of our deluxe king rooms. The deluxe king rooms, as well as the junior suites are really quite spacious. They are not only spacious compared to our one queen rooms, but they are very spacious for Old Quebec. If you do have the budget to spend a little more, I highly recommend jumping into one of these two categories. Because the buildings within the walls are very old and historic, the rooms in the small hotels will vary in size. For the most part, however, just like in Paris, they will be very small.

If, however, you do like the charm of feeling like you are in europe, I highly recommend our classic queen and european rooms. They are smaller, but adorable.

I am also glad you enjoyed our continental breakfast. We will be extending the menu for the next season, with other choices. And, as you suggest, we will vary the breakfast price based on the menu item. For the meantime, however, we are still serving the continental breakfast with our freshly baked croissants. Don't worry though, we will still be serving our croissants on the new menu as well.

Again, my sincerest appreciation for writing a review. We really depend on word of mouth as we are such a small business and do not have the advertising budget that the big chains do. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future. Un gros merci, Linda
Waterbury, Vermont, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Breakfast starts with hot Croissants right out of the oven. What else is there to say! Friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance to every tourist spot in Quebec city, and right down the road from Grand Allee just outside the Old City, where you can find great restaurants outside the tourist area. Rooms are all brand new and modern, and the beds perfect.

Bonjour Jed,
Thank you so very much for the review. I delight knowing you enjoyed the croissants in the morning. Our continental breakfast is a light one, but we really try to make it perfect by baking fresh croissants in the morning, making our own fruit salad and of course, strong coffee! Of course, the earlier you rise, the fresher the croissants. We take them out of the oven at 7:30.

Because you are from Vermont, I hope we will have the chance to welcome you once again with us here in Quebec City. It is not too far away from us! Take care, and enjoy the remaining foliage season back home. Un gros merci, Linda
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2013

It was our 40th wedding anniversary and we wanted something small, romantic and not cookie-cutter. As previous reviewers have said, you don't need to stay at the Chateau Frontenac to enjoy the old city. Le Manoir d'Auteuil is inside the city walls, close to parking, but away from the center of town and the crowds. We stayed for two nights, in a deluxe room. The bed was super comfy, and the room has a fireplace for those cold evenings. The staff were exemplary, especially our breakfast concierge. She had great information on the city, places to eat and visit.
The hotel is located on a very quiet street and we only had to walk for ten minutes to get to the Chateau and the promenade. Incredible location, wonderful staff, comfortable rooms. There is no elevator, but it's not that bad.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour Beach Girl Amy! First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Second, I am very touched that we could be part of your celebration of 40 years together. Congratulations! We have two rooms with a fireplace, so it sounds like that was the right choice for your special occasion. Our mattresses are very high quality, and quite comfortable. I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

One of our favorite things is to share our local finds with clients. It sounds like you explored some of our recommendations and enjoyed those as well. Quebec City is full of fabulous restaurants.

Again, thank you so very much for the kind words and also for having chosen to stay with us. It is so nice to step away from the "cookie cutter" chains. I am glad you took a chance! Take care, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Au revoir, Linda
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2013

You really don't need to stay at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City for a lovely time or location. Le Manoir d' Auteuil is a small inn with the most wonderful staff! Top entrance to the old city, this is a clean, convenient property located within walking distance of everything. Did I mention that every single member of the staff was delightful and helpful as could possibly be?

Room Tip: Our room and we think most rooms are very quiet. It helps that the inn is not in the center of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour JohnnJack! Thank you so very much for your support and for taking a moment to write a review of your stay with us at the Manoir d'Auteuil. Most of our rooms are very quiet, but the rooms situated on the back side are much more quiet than those street side. On the front side, you get great Parliament Hill views, but you will hear some city noise. I guess that is just part of being centrally located in a city.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you here with us once again in the future. Until then, we wish you the best. Un gros merci, Linda