“Wonderful little suprise”

Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful little suprise”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

You really don't need to stay at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City for a lovely time or location. Le Manoir d' Auteuil is a small inn with the most wonderful staff! Top entrance to the old city, this is a clean, convenient property located within walking distance of everything. Did I mention that every single member of the staff was delightful and helpful as could possibly be?

Room Tip: Our room and we think most rooms are very quiet. It helps that the inn is not in the center of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Bonjour JohnnJack! Thank you so very much for your support and for taking a moment to write a review of your stay with us at the Manoir d'Auteuil. Most of our rooms are very quiet, but the rooms situated on the back side are much more quiet than those street side. On the front side, you get great Parliament Hill views, but you will hear some city noise. I guess that is just part of being centrally located in a city.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you here with us once again in the future. Until then, we wish you the best. Un gros merci, Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Korean first
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Clean! Welcoming ! Wonderful staff and very nice breakfast! We will add this hotel to our list of wonderful memories of our holiday!We will recommend this hotel to family and friends!! Relaxing accomodation close to excellent restaurants and charming old world streets

Room Tip: No elevator so hope u don't mind the stairs! Part of the charm of this hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour, and thank you for writing a review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Old Quebec. Good point on the stairs, and yes, I agree, it does add to the charm as the building dates to 1835. If stairs are an issue, please reserve direct by phone so that we can accommodate your needs.

Again, thank you for the review, and we all wish you many more happy memories in your travel adventures ahead! Un gros merci, Linda
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Being our first time in PQ, indeed in Cananda, we had stuck to our routine of staying at the Accor chain, which were rather soulless but reliable. We decided to try this establishment on the strength of the TA reviews and we were not disappointed. The rooms were the best part, being well appointed and very charming. The location for a tourist sightseeing was excellent, being situatated just inside the walls in Vieux Quebec. One does carry a little too much when travelling three countries and two seasons, but the staff were helpful with our luggage up the narrow stairs. The front desk clerk, who is a local, was very helpful with local advice. Our only regret was not to have met our host, Linda, until the last morning, as she had a few days off.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Bonjour M. Barry, I remember you very well, and yes, I am sorry I did not have the chance to meet you until the morning of your departure. You were most definitely in good hands though with Nancy. She is a great person, and being local, definitely has some great insights on what to do while in Quebec City.

I am glad you enjoyed the charm of your room. I see you normally stay in the chain hotels, and I want to thank you for taking a chance on trying a small heritage property like ours. You most definitely cannot go wrong with our location, it is perfect.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We wish you the best as you return back to Australia. I hope you have a treasure trove of beautiful memories of your trip to Quebec and Canada. Un gros merci, Linda
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have just returned home after six nights in Québec City at Le Manoir d'Auteuil. I was absolutely thrilled with my time there. I have stayed in many fine hotels in cities all over the world, and I can honestly, truthfully say that Le Manoir d'Auteuil is the nicest place I have ever stayed. Seriously.

To begin with, the location in Vieux Québec is incomparable. It is a few minutes walk to anything you would ever want to see in that gorgeous city. The building is beautiful, both inside and out. My room (#51), in the back of the building, was astonishingly quiet. Not only was there no street noise, I could not hear *any* noise! The street is not particularly busy anyway, so I am sure that rooms facing the street (and thus also facing the Parc de l’Esplanade), are also very quiet.

I don't really know how to describe the sublime, dreamy comfort of the bed, except to say that I fell asleep easily in it and slept very soundly every night. This is unusual for me. Normally I don't sleep particularly well when I'm away from home, but I slept perfectly at Le Manoir d'Auteuil.

The breakfast every morning was delicious -- perfect croissants, fresh fruit salad, toast, yogurt, granola, orange juice, coffee.

The hotel owners and staff were so lovely and helpful. It was a joy to see their smiling faces, and it was clear to me that their hospitality was absolutely authentic and sincere.

I was in Québec City for a conference, held about a 10-minute walk away at the conference centre. The conference organizers recommended several large chain hotels, where they had obtained special rates. The rate for my room at Le Manoir d'Auteuil was lower than the discounted rates of the "official" conference hotels, and Le Manoir d'Auteuil was also closer to the conference centre than several of the "official" hotels! My colleagues who stayed at the other hotels were envious when I described my experience at Le Manoir d'Auteuil.

In summary, I will just say that Le Manoir d'Auteuil is without question the ideal place to stay when visiting Québec City. I am sure that I will visit Québec City again some day, and when I do I will stay at Le Manoir d'Auteuil.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OldCowpoke
Bonjour Mme. Tara,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us as well as your room. Room 51 is one of our classic one queen rooms, and this room is situated on the back side of the building adjacent to the bar. Because of the location next to the bar, we took special care in insulating this room with lead sheeting, so it is very very quiet. The rooms situated on the back side of the building are quiet, but if you want a view room, you will be exposed to some city street noise. I am so used to the city sounds at night, that I sleep right through, but I realize that is not the case for everyone. It always helps if we know your preference at reservation, and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. I am really glad we had a room available for you that is situated on the back side since you are such a light sleeper.

Given our proximity to the Quebec City Conference Center, we do often receive travellers here on business. I am glad you found us! The conferences usually work only with the large chain hotels, so I am delighted you did some research and discovered us. We are in fact, the closest hotel to the conference center that is located in the walls of the old city.

My sincerest appreciation for your support and for having chosen to stay with us. Maybe we will again have the opportunity to welcome you here with us again one day. It was really nice to have you here with us for six days. It gave us all a chance to get to know you during your stay. Perhaps your next trip will be solely for pleasure, but I cannot imagine a better city to come to for business, as you cannot help but enjoy all that Quebec City has to offer. Take care, and again....un gros merci, Linda
Atlanta
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the wonderfully helpful staff, the unique rooms, the convenient location (near the St. Louis Gate and the Citadel), and the tasty continental breakfast. The owners were often present and very friendly and interesting. It was a great stay!

Room Tip: We were in room 30 and the bathroom was up about 8 stairs but still in the room. It was no problem...
1 Thank Hiker65
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Bonjour, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 30, one of our classic queen rooms, is situated on the back side of the hotel, with a small stairway that leads to the private bathroom. We have 4 rooms with this feature, and although not for everyone, if you can do stairs, I highly recommend them. It is such a lovely and interesting touch to the room. I especially like the art deco metal rails that lead up the stairway. It adds so much character and charm.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community. Your tips and suggestions truly help others to make the right personal choice while considering lodging in Quebec City. The location is perfect, and I will pass along that you found everyone so friendly. We all love working with and getting to know new people. It makes our job so much fun. Un gros merci pour tous, Linda
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were back for a 2nd visit to Quebec City after completing a cruise from Boston. I decided to look for an accommodation that was within walking distance of the sites we wanted to visit and after reviewing Trip Advisor selected Le Manoir. As other reviewers have stated, location was superb. Our room overlooked rue d'Auteuil and listening to the clip clop of the horses pulling carriages on the cobblestones added to the ambiance. We were in Room 7 and other than a minor issue with cleanliness, would heartily recommend this 2nd floor room. The service was excellent with Linda providing great ideas and suggestions including making reservations for us at a local restaurant. Breakfast was reasonable but possibly not as extensive as others would expect. Strong recommendation from myself for Le Manoir if looking for a place with character, history and a great location.

1 Thank Gateway1_10
Bonjour M. Abbotsford, I remember you both so very well and enjoyed hearing about your culinary adventures while here in Quebec City. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I think you are absolutely correct, that anyone looking for history, character and charm will really enjoy their stay with us. I am delighted you did as well. I see your photo of the shower in your room, which is one of our historic junior suites. This shower does indeed have 7 shower heads, and thus, your photo. The shower is really quite something, somewhat of a full body experience.

We love this room as well as the Edith Piaf Suite because of their gorgeous art deco bathrooms, but this winter we will have to go in and do some major work in those bathrooms. We will do our best to preserve the beautiful tile work, but the fixtures are at the end of their lives as well as the plumbing. Unfortunately, this means we will lose some of the vintage tiles. I think this is probably where you found your issues with cleanliness, as it is very difficult to maintain this bathroom. No matter how hard we scrub, some of these tiles and the fixtures have really lost their luster. But I do wish you would have mentioned it to me, as I could send the housekeeping team in to ensure all was up to your standards. We try our best, but at times we do miss things.

My sincerest thanks to you for taking the time to write a review and for having chosen to stay with us. Being such a small business, we truly depend on word of mouth from travellers such as yourselves. Enjoy the rest of 2013, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you on our end once again.

Un gros merci, Linda
USA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were very happy with our stay at this friendly hotel. The staff was very helpful and it was a treat to meet the welcoming owners as well. The location in the old city could not be better.

Many rooms have been renovated. We were pleased to learn that the breakfast area will soon be moved upstairs near the bar. We enjoyed the croissants and pain au chocolat as well as the fresh fruit for breakfast.

For those extra sensitive to noise, we would recommend a back room since the front rooms face a street with some traffic. However, we loved the generous size of the suites facing the front. The owners have retained the special charm and decor of the original house.....

It is the caring staff and owners who made such a positive impression on us. We hope to return to this "hotel with heart" in the future.

Room Tip: We would choose one of the suites.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Bonjour and thank you so very much for the review. It is an honor to be summarized as a hotel with "heart". You are absolutely correct, the junior suites are by far the most special rooms, and if they are in your budget, I highly recommend them. You are also correct about the front view facing rooms, you will have some city noise, but compared to most cities, it is fairly quiet and the parliament view at night is well worth it. A room situated on the garden level or in the backside of the building will be very quiet.

We only have 3 classic queen rooms that have a parliament view, the rest are situated on the back side. So, if a view of parliament hill is a must for you, all junior suites do have this view.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for supporting a small business such as ours. We truly appreciate it. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to welcome you again. Until then, happy travels ahead. Un gros merci, Linda