“Great place to stay”

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed two nights for pleasure. Owners and staff very helpful and on sight. Very nice decor in rooms and lobby. Had a chance to sit down after check in to have a beer and wine to plan our touring. Parking very convenient and that is a big plus due to being in the old city walls. Definitely worth the price.

Stayed: August 2013
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Bonjour Michael, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially that you liked our decor. The building dates to 1835, but due to a fire in the early 1920's, the interior was completely redone in the art deco style during the 1930's. With the recent renovations, we have really tried to keep the art deco spirit throughout, and of course, refused to remove any of the authentic art deco details. I am not sure which room you stayed in, but some of the junior suite rooms still have the vintage bathrooms that date to the 1930's. Most of the light fixtures and chandeliers throughout the hotel are original to the 1930 remodel. I have become an art deco convert since owning the hotel, and really enjoyed the creative process with the remodel.

Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to share your experience with the travel community. We truly appreciate it. Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you both again to Quebec City one day. Un gros merci, Linda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights prior to our cruise and were very pleased. Just inside the old city walls and very close to Rue St. Jean which is a main drag for restaurants and fun stuff. Just remember that Quebec has streets that go up and down, so enjoy the downhill swing as it reverses on the way back. Extremely friendly staff that answered our emails promptly; offered to confirm any reservations we had and helped with advice and seemed that they were genuinely pleased that you were there . Originally was going to utilize the hotel's parking (4 spaces in back), but because of the city's music fest decided to drop the rental car at the airport and taxi on in. As others have stated, the hotel is sans elevator. We were in Room #5 which is on the ground floor (in the back), so no stairs which was nice as we had some luggage. The drawback is that the room is a little small (about on par with a lot of European rooms); has no closet; has 2 single beds and is a split level format. It was however very quiet and does have individual room temp. controls (Quebec was warm and we were happy that we had A/C) and a nice bathroom. The hotel is across from a park and is a good location to scope out the town. Nice intimate bar area with 2 for 1 drinks ($8). Breakfast was fine with delicious croissants (do not miss the chocolate ones); juices and fresh fruit. Other options are available in the area. All in all an inviting choice with a great location. Would stay here again. Note: the hotel responds to comments on this site which to me is a good sign vs. just ignoring what concerns people have.

Room Tip: Since the hotel has no elevator, you should either ask for a lower level room or count on having the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour M. Gatorboy, (I love your online name!), I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us in the former chapel of the manor. You have done a great job of outlining our location, and I appreciate that. We do have a perfect location for visiting the historic Old City, and it sounds like you took full advantage of that. With September just around the corner, we will start to see more seniors at the hotel, so I appreciate you mentioning the "sans elevator" and hills. Quebec City is full of hills! So you can definitely eat all of the chocolate croissants you want while staying with us in Old Quebec, because you will most likely burn off those buttery calories.

Your room, room 5 - the former chapel, is situated on the 1st floor of the hotel. We have many lower floor rooms that are ideal for anyone with difficulty using stairs, but we do need to know this information at the time of reservation, or you might find yourself on an upper floor.

Again, many thanks for the detailed review. Being a small business, we depend on word of mouth from clients like you. Your support is truly appreciated. Un gros merci, and I wish many happy travel memories ahead! Sincérment, Linda

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Wonderful hotel with a great location. Staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful in assisting us with things to do and see. Unfortunately, being seniors with recent back surgery, we were unaware of the hotel not having an elevator (thought we were back in Europe) so made it somewhat difficult in climbing stairs and taking stuff out of the suitcase so it could be lifted up to the third floor. If you can handle your own bags this is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Make a reservation and ask for first floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeM_12-20-2015

Bonjour, and thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. Yes, indeed, you will feel like you are back in Europe when staying with us. We are very similar to the small boutique hotels you find in places like Paris.

I can completely understand your difficulty with stairs. We really try to let everyone know that we do not have an elevator, as we are a historically protected heritage property that was built in 1835. I am sorry we were not aware that you were seniors at the time of reservation. We do really try to choose a room situated on a lower floor for anyone with difficulty on stairs.

Again, thank you very much for the review. Outside of the stairs, it sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am thrilled to hear that. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your support. Un gros merci, Linda

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights, on the third floor. (there is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags up.) The location is excellent, just inside the old city walls and close to all the sites in the Upper Town. Walking to the Lower Town only takes 15 minutes. The room was an adequate size, and clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern. Didn't care for the fact that the sink/mirror/vanity was outside the bathroom, but that was a minor inconvenience. Breakfast was served downstairs in a nice size room and was good, with homemade croissants, fresh bread, hard boiled eggs, great fruit bowl, yogurt, and granola. I do wish that they had some other cereal, however. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Parking was closeby, in a nearby lot, for $18/ daily. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjrpaul
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Bonjour and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I wish I had a chance to meet both you and your wife during your stay, but I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you noticed our high quality mattress and bedding. Those are two items that are very important to me, as well as cleanliness and location when choosing a hotel. I see you have written many reviews, so you are most definitely well travelled!

Because we are a heritage property, each room is unique and different. Some rooms have the sink and vanity outside of the bathroom, whereas others will have them in the bathroom. Likewise, due to historic preservation rules, we cannot install an elevator. We are most definitely there to help carry your bags though, so please, do not hesitate to ask. It helps us to keep in shape!

Again, my sincerest appreciation for your support. Being a small business, we truly depend on word of mouth from clients like you. Merci beaucoup, Linda

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We found this hotel via Tripadvisor and loved it. We were right downtown in Old Quebec City, and within walking distance of the Citadel and great shoppin. Price was very reasonable, and the staff were very warm and attentive. We found it charming, even though we had to climb stairs (no elevator) but the front desk staff helped with the bags. The bar was nice - low key and comfortable, and good restaurants within an easy walk. The breakfast available in the basement dining room was very good: help-yourself to coffee/tea/juices and a table of pastries (try the chocolate croissants for a real treat), toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit salad. Delightfully friendly staff. The room was also comfortable and well appointed. Parking was awkward, but that seems to be the norm in the old city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour et Merci! Thank you so much for your review. I too love the freshly baked chocolatines, but being around them on a daily basis, I have to limit my indulgences. It makes my day that your enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass along your kind comments. They will most certainly put a smile on everyone's face.

Thank you for commenting that we do not have an elevator, as it is very important to contact us directly to reserve so that we can designate a lower floor room should anyone have difficulty with stairs. We are most definitely there to help anyone with their bags though, so please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, my sincerest thanks for the review, and for having chosen to stay with us. We truly appreciate your support. Merci, Linda

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We totally enjoyed our stay at this lovely gem of a hotel. The location allowed us to walk to most restaurants, attractions and areas of the city. Be prepared that there is no elevator, but there is always a willing and helpful staff member (and owner) to assist you with luggage. The owner is present and the staff is fluent in both English and French and they are knowledgeable, professional and, best of all, warm and welcoming to the guests. Nice place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour, and many thanks for the kind words in your review. I truly appreciate you taking the time to inform travellers about our hotel, and yes, I agree, it is a true "gem". I really believe that the little heritage hotels one finds in Old Quebec are some of the true treasures of this Old City. You can stay at a large chain anywhere, but there are very few places in North America where you can still experience a stay in such an historic area and property. I am delighted you appreciated it.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for sharing your experience with the travel community. I hope we will have the chance to welcome your here with us again some time. Un gros merci! Linda

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed 3 days in August. Top floor 'European' room; lady on reception helped with our bags: no lift! Brilliant location in the old town, but on a quiet street. Very nicely equipped and furnished. Excellent 'continental' breakfast served in basement. Good bed and linens. Great location for 'wandering' - old town, citadel, parliament area. But noisy fan in bathroom (room 42).

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour M. Stuart, Un gros merci! Thank you for the review. I did not have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay, but I love how you cut to the chase! I am thrilled your enjoyed your stay with us, and maybe we will be lucky enough to welcome you again one day.

You did stay in one of our european rooms situated on the 4th floor. I hope you did receive our email after reserving concerning the 4th floor rooms, because we do not have an elevator. We really try to communicate that with everyone, so that we can assign the appropriate room for our clients. Being historically protected, we cannot add a lift, but yes, there are days I sure wish we had one. It keeps me in shape though.

Again, my sincerest appreciation for the review. Take care, and enjoy the rest of summer! Merci, Linda