“Wonderful Place to Stay”

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Wonderful Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights, on the third floor. (there is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags up.) The location is excellent, just inside the old city walls and close to all the sites in the Upper Town. Walking to the Lower Town only takes 15 minutes. The room was an adequate size, and clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern. Didn't care for the fact that the sink/mirror/vanity was outside the bathroom, but that was a minor inconvenience. Breakfast was served downstairs in a nice size room and was good, with homemade croissants, fresh bread, hard boiled eggs, great fruit bowl, yogurt, and granola. I do wish that they had some other cereal, however. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Parking was closeby, in a nearby lot, for $18/ daily. Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank jjrpaul
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Bonjour and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I wish I had a chance to meet both you and your wife during your stay, but I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you noticed our high quality mattress and bedding. Those are two items that are very important to me, as well as cleanliness and location when choosing a hotel. I see you have written many reviews, so you are most definitely well travelled!

Because we are a heritage property, each room is unique and different. Some rooms have the sink and vanity outside of the bathroom, whereas others will have them in the bathroom. Likewise, due to historic preservation rules, we cannot install an elevator. We are most definitely there to help carry your bags though, so please, do not hesitate to ask. It helps us to keep in shape!

Again, my sincerest appreciation for your support. Being a small business, we truly depend on word of mouth from clients like you. Merci beaucoup, Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We found this hotel via Tripadvisor and loved it. We were right downtown in Old Quebec City, and within walking distance of the Citadel and great shoppin. Price was very reasonable, and the staff were very warm and attentive. We found it charming, even though we had to climb stairs (no elevator) but the front desk staff helped with the bags. The bar was nice - low key and comfortable, and good restaurants within an easy walk. The breakfast available in the basement dining room was very good: help-yourself to coffee/tea/juices and a table of pastries (try the chocolate croissants for a real treat), toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit salad. Delightfully friendly staff. The room was also comfortable and well appointed. Parking was awkward, but that seems to be the norm in the old city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour et Merci! Thank you so much for your review. I too love the freshly baked chocolatines, but being around them on a daily basis, I have to limit my indulgences. It makes my day that your enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass along your kind comments. They will most certainly put a smile on everyone's face.

Thank you for commenting that we do not have an elevator, as it is very important to contact us directly to reserve so that we can designate a lower floor room should anyone have difficulty with stairs. We are most definitely there to help anyone with their bags though, so please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, my sincerest thanks for the review, and for having chosen to stay with us. We truly appreciate your support. Merci, Linda
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We totally enjoyed our stay at this lovely gem of a hotel. The location allowed us to walk to most restaurants, attractions and areas of the city. Be prepared that there is no elevator, but there is always a willing and helpful staff member (and owner) to assist you with luggage. The owner is present and the staff is fluent in both English and French and they are knowledgeable, professional and, best of all, warm and welcoming to the guests. Nice place to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour, and many thanks for the kind words in your review. I truly appreciate you taking the time to inform travellers about our hotel, and yes, I agree, it is a true "gem". I really believe that the little heritage hotels one finds in Old Quebec are some of the true treasures of this Old City. You can stay at a large chain anywhere, but there are very few places in North America where you can still experience a stay in such an historic area and property. I am delighted you appreciated it.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for sharing your experience with the travel community. I hope we will have the chance to welcome your here with us again some time. Un gros merci! Linda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 days in August. Top floor 'European' room; lady on reception helped with our bags: no lift! Brilliant location in the old town, but on a quiet street. Very nicely equipped and furnished. Excellent 'continental' breakfast served in basement. Good bed and linens. Great location for 'wandering' - old town, citadel, parliament area. But noisy fan in bathroom (room 42).

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour M. Stuart, Un gros merci! Thank you for the review. I did not have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay, but I love how you cut to the chase! I am thrilled your enjoyed your stay with us, and maybe we will be lucky enough to welcome you again one day.

You did stay in one of our european rooms situated on the 4th floor. I hope you did receive our email after reserving concerning the 4th floor rooms, because we do not have an elevator. We really try to communicate that with everyone, so that we can assign the appropriate room for our clients. Being historically protected, we cannot add a lift, but yes, there are days I sure wish we had one. It keeps me in shape though.

Again, my sincerest appreciation for the review. Take care, and enjoy the rest of summer! Merci, Linda
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The welcome we received from the young lady who checked us in was wonderful and this continued with all the staff we met. Our room was lovely, very clean and although the window faced the back the view was quirky and pleasant. The breakfast room was spotless and the breakfast very nice and relaxed. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour, and many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I wish I knew which room you were in so that I knew just which view you were referring to. However, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I want to thank you for your support and for choosing to stay with us. I realise that many people choose to stay with us because our location truly is perfect, but it makes my day when we meet the expectations of clients like you. Again many thanks for the review, and I am guessing that is was Nancy that checked you in at your arrival. She is truly a delightful person and I am glad you had the chance to meet her during your stay. You came a long way from home to visit us in Canada, but I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again to Quebec City one day. Un gros merci, Linda
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed three nights in the hotel. The staff was great and the location was wonderful. We were in room 9 which is a very comfortable room. The only surprising thing is the bathroom was up a flight of steps. The light for the steps was at the top of the steps so it meant going up and down them in the dark if the bedroom light was off. Also I didn't find an outlet in the bathroom but there is a closet at the top of the stairs with an outlet, hair dryer and mirror which was fine for doing hair. None of these things took away from our experience as we really liked the hotel and staff a lot!

Would we stay at the hotel again? Definitely! Would we say in the same room? Originally I would have said definitely but after seeing some pictures of the other rooms, we might decide to upgrade.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have problems with stairs make sure you tell them when making your re...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour and thank you so much for writing a review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. It is true that a total of 4 of our rooms do indeed have a stairway that leads to the bathroom. It is one of my personal favorites as far as decorative features in the rooms, but I can definitely understand that it may not be for everyone. While room 9 is situated on the 2nd floor, I do not recommend it for seniors or anyone who has difficulty with the stairs. However, if you love art deco, this is an excellent choice. The italian marble in the bathroom dates from the 1950's and the high ceilings are a real plus.

We definitely look forward to welcoming you again in the future. It is very nice that you had the chance to visit the various rooms, so during your next reservation, be sure to talk to the reception over the phone so that we can assign you your favorite room. You mentioned upgrading, and I definitely think that it is well worth the expense should you have the budget to move into a deluxe king or junior suite. Again, many thanks for your support and for having chosen to stay with us. Merci, Linda
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just come back from a two night stay in Quebec City at this beautiful hotel. We arrived early to check in but this was no problem and the receptionist was helpful suggesting local restaurants and places to visit. Our room, number 4, was spacious and had a lovely exposed brick wall. We also had a small terrace with two chairs. Everything was clean. The hotel is well situated for shops, sights and plenty of cafes and restaurants.
Quebec was a pleasant surprise and we would recommend the city and this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour Mme. Sue! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for sharing your experience with the travel community. I am so glad you enjoyed your room and your stay with us. We have three rooms with exposed stone walls, and your room, room 4 is one of them. This is a classic queen room, situated on the first floor on the back side of the building. Although you do not have a view, the back side of the hotel is very quiet.

Again, my sincerest appreciation for your support. I will pass your comments along to the staff, and I know they will be thrilled. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish many more wonderful travels ahead. Un gros merci, Linda