“Everything excellent”

Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
New York City
“Everything excellent”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The rooms were clean, with ample space, and the bathroom was large. It was situated in a quiet area very close to the Frontenac- inside the walls, and to the Citadel- outside the walls. The owner Dan was an active manager ensuring great hospitality and offering useful advice. Staff were very attentive. Breakfast was most pleasing with croissants that tasted like the ones in Paris that I have not been able to find anywhere. Restaurants at all price levels were 2 minutes walk away. Book directly with hotel to get free breakfast. Air conditioning excellent. Great shower pressure. Everybody had good manners and a friendly presentation including the other hotel guests.Free computer use on the first floor. No ripoff elements. When I return will book this hotel again. I believe that staying in this hotel made my trip more enjoyable. The positive reviews are accurate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I especially appreciate you sharing the details with the travel community. Often times, smaller, independent hotels such as ours do not have the same quality that one can expect from a larger chain. We really try to ensure our clients a high quality experience that they would find in the larger luxurious hotels; like the mattress quality, climate control elements, quality bedding, etc, yet still maintain the personal touches of smaller inns and bed and breakfasts. After all, the personal contact that we share with our clients is what makes our job so much fun. All of our rooms vary in size, some with smaller bathrooms, other with those the size of a bedroom. The croissants are baked fresh daily by Paillard, just down the street. That is why they are so good! I wish I could take credit, but I can't. I have been told (this is here say, mind you) that their secret ingredient is in the butter, that they import it from France, and that this is why they taste like those from Paris. Again, thank you so much for the review. A small property, such as ours, depends on word of mouth. Un gros merci!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My mother and I recently stayed at this wonderful boutique hotel for 4 nights on our first trip to Quebec City. Located just inside the walls of Old Quebec, Le Manoir d'Auteuil provided our "home away from home" with easy access to numerous delightful restaurants and sights/excursions all within a short walking distance. Our heartfelt thanks to the wonderful, knowledgeable staff ~ Lucia, Vivienne and owner, Linda for ensuring our stay was comfortable, enjoyable and providing us with tips on where to visit; suggesting restaurants to try and also requesting feedback on our experiences from our full days exploring this wonderful city. Breakfast each morning was scumptous and plentiful ~ oh how I already miss those delicious chocolate croissants!! Our room(s) were very nicely appointed, comfortable and very clean with beautiful views looking out over the park and Parliament buildings. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip. Le Manior D'Auteuil and staff far exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend staying here if you want to experience thoughtful, warm hospitality which was demonstrated to us and also noticed to all others staying there at the same time we did. Many thanks again Linda ~ I'm still on the look out for a moose!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I sincerely appreciate your kind words. It was a true pleasure for us all to get the chance to meet you both during your stay in Quebec City. Because your trip was for 4 full days, we really got the chance to get to know you and "Gloria". I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations, and I am so glad that you found our little suggestions so helpful. Some travellers arrive having done all their research and know exactly where they would like to go, but we still like to share some of our favorite things to do in Quebec City with you all. I wish you both happy travels ahead, and of course, a few moose here and there! Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
New Zealand
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Where does one start with such a fine hotel? We chose Le Manoir d' Auteuil as a result of reviews on this site. We wanted something a wee bit smaller and cosy than the Fairmont which we had been considering and we were not dissapointed with what we found. The location is wonderful just on the inside of the city wall and overlooking a lovely green park and out to the Parliament buildings. We are very light sleepers and we were a bit concerned been in a suite on the ground floor fronting onto the road but we experianced absolutely no road noise at all whilst we were sleeping in our huge comfortable super king size bed with its wonderful quality linen! During the day I could sit in the window seat, look over the red geraniams in the planter
boxes and watch the horse and carriages go by as I wrote my diary. It was a wonderful spot! And our room was so large you could "swing 17 cats" in it and still not hit anything! It had the quietest air conditioner, a fridge, loads of seating, a fireplace, enough storage and wardrobe space for a family 12, flatscreen TV, and good lighting so you could even read (a rare find in most hotels we have found in North America). Generous size bathroom with a great shower....another pleasant surprise and lets not forget the free Wi-Fi. Really what more could you possibly want?.....except to stay longer than the two nights we did. I was truely really sad to leave. Now lets talk about the breakfast! We like to eat healtherly. If you want to have donuts and sweet cakes for breakfast this place is not for you. The breakfasts were supurb. Fresh fruit salad that was always plentiful and totally moreish, fresh croissants, cereals, toast, yogurt, coffee and tea, etc and the young mademoiselle who looked after our breakfasts was very sweet and attentive. Which brings me onto the staff who were all exceptional and literally made you feel like a much loved visitor. Thank you Vivanne for your friendly and patient manner when welcoming us in and with such a genuine smile! Lucia for all the information you gave us about your beloved city and hotel/place of work, your humour and enthusiasm and Linda and Dan the owners of this wonderful old historic building who were always pleased to see you and make you feel at home. Seriously don't bother looking anywhere else, you cannot go wrong here and you can walk everywhere around this beautiful city from this great location. We travel the world several months each year, we are very hard to please these days but we left here very happy.
Just a footnote for those who live outside Canada just make yourself aware of the local/regional/city/state taxes when staying in hotels as they can catch you unawares if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to view sevearal of the rooms. They are all very different from each other and t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Bonjour and thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth review. I especially appreciated your tips. You were in our Omer Marchand Historic suite situated on the first floor. Thank you for letting everyone know that we have so many different rooms in this historic former residence. Your room was our most spacious and was the former library of the manoir. We have from spacious and elegant to very petite and charming. As we continue to update and remodel the various rooms of the hotel, we attempt to add some period touches with a contemporary art deco decor that respects the history of the building. Every room has at least one authentic piece from the era. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, as well as the staff. Lucia and Viviane are true jewels. We all truly enjoy our jobs and the lovely people we are so fortunate to meet. Again, thank you for your kind words and your support. Je vous souhaite une très belle journée et à la prochaine!
Central NH
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Quebec City with our 7-year-old for a long weekend (8/16/12-8/19/12). I had called earlier in the week about availability and parking. So happy we were able to stay at Le Manoir d'Auteuil. Everyone was friendly and helpful, especially Katherine and Linda, explaining what to see, where to eat, and how to get around. The playground across the street was a bonus for our daughter. The room (#10) was spacious, even with the extra bed. The beds were very comfortable (lots of pillows). The bathroom was quite large. The room was quiet! We didn't hear street noise or crying babies or anything. We didn't smell the horses across the way either. Breakfast was simple: fruit salad, breads, croissants, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice and milk. They were very accommodating when my husband requested decaf and I mentioned a kiwi allergy, the rest of our stay included decaf and no kiwi. Even the other guests were nice. Such a pleasant experience. We will, indeed, be back!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you so very much for writing a review! I remember you and your family so well. You stayed in one of our Classic King rooms, which have all been recently remodelled. We have abandoned the 2 queen rooms, and converted those rooms into rooms with a king bed, spacious enough to add a twin bed for 3. I am very glad to hear that the size of the room met your family's needs. Your room was situated on the back side, which is definitely more quiet than the parliament view rooms. It was a pleasure meeting you all, and who knows, maybe we will cross paths at Sawyers in New Hampshire! Enjoy the short time to travel before school starts. Thank you for your support.
Wantagh, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I loved our stay at the Le Manoir d'Auteil. The room was a bit small, but it was large enough and very clean. The service and location were both exceptional. Every employee was very friendly and showed a true interest in us and the other guests. Of special note is Lucia. She gave us wonderful ideas of where to visit and is a major asset to the hotel. We were able to walk to all of the major attractions.

Room Tip: There are large suites for a little bit more.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thanks so much for sharing your travel experience with the community! Being a small family owned business, we depend on word of mouth. Thank You!

Lucia is truly an asset to all of us at the Manoir. We have a blast working with her, and I am so glad you had the chance to get to know her during your stay. We really try to help give our clients direction on all there is to do in Quebec City. We like to share our favorite finds with our clients. I highly recommend starting with a City Tour, and then you get a great feel for all that you want to explore further. For those that want to explore on their own from the get go, we are happy to supply you with a map of the city, ......and yes, we will mark all over it, indicating what we think you must see!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Arlington, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the perfect location for your Quebec vacation. We selected a 4th-floor room, and given the dormer window and lower price tag, I was expecting a small room, but it was actually quite spacious for two (tall!) people.

The front desk staff was extremely helpful; they took the time to make recommendations for food and events that we gladly accepted, and each one was right on. The only downside was that our room was ready a bit after the check-in time, but there is plenty of city to explore while you wait!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I realize time is so precious, so I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your travel experiences with the travel community. I find the european rooms cozy and charming, but it is true that they are on the smaller side, due to the slanted ceilings and dormer windows. We are historically protected, and as a result, we cannot install an elevator. The european rooms are not an option for someone with mobility issues. On the plus side, due to all the walking, hills and stairs in Quebec City, feel free to eat all the fresh croissants you want! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so very much for your support!
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a great little place! The staff and ownership are superb! The room and the rest of the hotel were super clean. I even saw staff cleaning the crevices in the handrail with a Q-tip. The staff was very accommodating and always willing to help with a recommendation. The room was well appointed even though we chose the Euro style. The only warning I will give is there is no elevator and it is at the top of the hill in old town. So if mobility is a problem look elsewhere. For a couple celebrating their anniversary like we were, it was perfect!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Lucia is a real gem, and we all adore her. Working with someone like her, makes our day just that much more enjoyable! Some of our rooms are definitely smaller in size, as the Manoir is an historic residence. We range from small and charming, to spacious and elegant. Keeping our rooms clean is a top priority, and I am so appreciative that you noticed. Thank you for sharing your travel experiences with the travel community!