“Great location”

Hotel Le Saint-Paul
Ranked #46 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Have stayed in this hotel twice in the past two years. Each time, my wife and I were treated exceptionally well. A special shout out to Gabriel at the front desk for his excellent service and recommendations.
Quebec is a great walking city and this hotel is located in a good spot to explore the lower city and old Quebec. The attached restaurant, Le Veravin, has a friendly staff and good food.
Prices are reasonable.
A short stroll down the street offers many side-walk cafes and shopping. Check out this fun area to stay should you visit this charming city.

Room Tip: Junior suites offer a nice comfortable space.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Keith C
ManagementHSA, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Saint-Paul, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear guest,

We were happy to welcome you for your two visits to Quebec City!

All our team is delighted to read you had a great stay with us at Hotel le Saint Paul. Your sweet comments will be passed on to Gabriel.

We are blessed to be located in the Old Port: the Image Mill can be viewed from some of our rooms and the famous free show Le Cirque du Soleil is very close by!

Like you mentioned, we are a great walking city. The best way to discover the Old Quebec and the Old Port is by walking and our hotel position makes it easier!

We are looking forward to welcome you for your next visit!

Kind regards

Front desk manager
Hotel le Saint Paul

There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Saint-Paul

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here last year. Super impressed. Recently renovated. Great bathrooms. Clean. Only complaint- not enough light in room to read. No overhead light and VERY dim bedside light . It is right across the street from the farmers market and within walking distance of everything in Lower town.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QR8R
ManagementHSA, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Saint-Paul, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear guest,

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed staying at Hotel le Saint Paul during your stay in our lovely city! It is never too late to share your experience and we appreciate you taking the time to do so.

We are thrilled to read that you loved our newly renovated rooms. In fact, we recently renovated all of our rooms and are in the process of changing all of our bed sheets for a better quality sleep.

The Old Port is definitely the best area in town for food lovers. Every great restaurant is at walking distance. We are blessed to have the farmers’ market right across from our hotel.

We would be happy to welcome you back!

Warmest regards

Stéphanie
Front desk manager

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were planning a whirlwind tour of Quebec City on a budget and found a room at this hotel for only $107 in an excellent location. We booked a superior king room. For this price, I was expecting something rather underwhelming, but we were in for a really pleasant surprise! The hotel feels very quaint and is located in a building that is more than a century old. It is in a tremendous location--right at the foot of Vieux Quebec, tucked along the ramparts. Getting to Vieux Quebec was a mere 10 minute walk. You do have to climb all the way up, but if you don't have problems with mobility, it's a really charming journey. You feel like you leave North America behind as you ascend higher and higher.

The hotel was recently renovated. The rooms are small, but they are modern, clean, and make great use of the space. Our room had tall windows, but strangely, the bathroom windows had no covering to them, so you feel a bit exposed as you take your shower. I was astounded to find a rain shower head in this teeny tiny budget hotel. As I said, they did a spectacular job with their reno. Bed was a little bit on the creaky side but still comfortable. Loved the funky style of the room. The service at the front desk is good. The man who checked us in was perfectly patient with my basic french. Most people switch immediately to English when they hear your anglophone french, but I like it when they let you keep going. The overall vibe is really authentic and home spun. Overall, an unbeatable value. I'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank labrt2004
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We booked a package through Air Canada Vacations for the last weekend of Winter Carnival in February 2013. On check in we had a young man at the desk who didn't/couldn't/wouldn't speak English to us. We asked a few questions about the area, what to do, where to eat, etc... he didn't know anything. After we checked in he gave us our keys and walked away. Seeing that the hotel was small, we assumed there was no elevator. After hauling two heavy suitcases and bags and purses up two flights of stairs we realized there was indeed an elevator; information that would have been handy on check in. On check out, we went down to the lobby at 5 AM as we had a very early flight and it was closed. I realize this is a small hotel and probably doesn't need to have it's front desk open 24/7 but again a good piece of information to know at check in. So we had to search for a taxi number on our own and run back up to the room to leave the keys in there, I assume they got them?

We had a small room with a double bed. The bed was super comfy, lots of blankets and pillows. The room was small and angular, had a real European feel. You could not have more than two people stay in this room, it is way too small. As stated by many other reviewers the room is dark!! Really dark. I am not sure why, but most of the walls and the ceiling are painted black and there are no lights in the ceiling, just lamps. When you come into the room at night you have to trip over the bed and chair and whatever else is on the floor to turn on the lamp. I am not "old" and even with the few lamps on I found it very hard to see what the heck I was doing in the night. The bathtub and shower were AMAZING! Big tub for two and an overhead rain shower, loved it!!

Housekeeping service was great, we had "do not disturb" on the door every morning so we could sleep in and take our time. We were never bothered by housekeeping and when we did return to our room late in the evening it was all made up and cleaned.

Some reviewers also pointed out that this hotel overlooks an Esso station, yes it does but that was a good thing for us. We would go there for beer, wine and snacks any time of the day or night. We thought that was great. Not pretty to look at, but convenient!

Location of the hotel was not great if you are visiting Winter Carnival. It is at the bottom of the hill and the Carnival and most of the cool touristy stuff was at the very top. It is a long, long way up! ;-) If you have small children or mobility issues and want to see that part of the city this hotel is probably not a good choice for you. The uphill climb combined with ice and snow made it very tricky at times.

We went to the restaurant attached to the hotel for breakfast one morning and it was just OK. The staff were friendly but the food was really greasy and expensive for what you got.

The free WiFi was consistent and easy to access (call the front desk for the password).

Overall I would say this is a decent hotel for what we paid. I felt safe and it was clean. I did not like the dark walls in the room, but I loved the bathroom. I would probably not stay in this hotel again as I would like to be at the top of the hill near all the action (especially if I was attending Winter Carnival).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TRVLGRL02
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I reserved a big room in this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday! It was a renovated room on the third floor. When I called to make my reservation they really help me find what I was looking for and booked a beautiful room with 4 windows! We had a dinner and a breakfast at Le Veravin, which was very good too! Staff of both the restaurant and the hotel are very nice! The only little thing that I could say is that the beautiful bathroom was not that clean but it is not a big deal!
You also have to pay the parking :s but overall it is a really nice hotel!
We enjoyed our stay at le Saint Paul! I would come back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2013
ManagementHSA, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Saint-Paul, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience on Tripadvisor!

Our team is happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are also thrilled to hear that your we satisfied with our Suite Deluxe.

It is disappointing that your room cleanness did not meet your expectations. We have worked hard to upgrade and enhance the guest experience here at Hotel Saint Paul and we are deeply sorry for letting you down.

Being situated in the old port, we do not have parking at the hotel or included in our rates. However, there is a public parking situated right in front of the hotel for only 15$ a day.

Your nice comments about our staff and rooms are greatly appreciated: it is important all our guests enjoy great hospitality.

We hope to welcome you back for your next visit in our lovely city!

Kind regards

Reception supervisor
Hotel Saint Paul

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked a single room for two nights recently. The hotel is clean, well situated in Old Québec City (near the Old Harbour Market) and comfortable. The bathroom is modern, and the toiletries provided are good quality. I would stay there again for the same reasons for which I booked it: location, location, location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
ManagementHSA, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Saint-Paul, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor!

We are very happy to read you have enjoyed the comfort and cleanness of our rooms.
Your encouraging comments about our hotel are greatly appreciated and are for us a great reinforcement.

We are indeed very blessed to be situated in such a great location. The Old Port is definitely a great way to discover Quebec City as is it close to all the main attractions and in front of the famous Harbour Market.

We are looking forward to welcome you for your next visit!

Warmest regards

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I booked this hotel through booking.com and maybe didn't get the best room, but I was a bit disappointed. The location in 'base ville' is great, on walking distance from all the highlights and close to dozens of restaurants, but the hotel although in a nice old building was a bit outdated and could use a makeover, the dusty carpets in the rooms and stairways need to be replaced, the bathroom tiles can do with a good scrub and the window frames were falling apart. Breakfast was also poor in a room with outdated furnishing. Shower wasn't really hot.

Positives: nice old building with exposed brick walls, very comfortable bed, great coffee machine in every room, good quality toiletries.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo