“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 108 Hotels in Quebec City
Rockwood, Canada
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Don't get the wrong impression about the 3 out of 5, this place can easily be a 5, and in many ways I wanted to give it just that, but had a few setbacks. First off the conceirge service of Julie Gagnon was second to none, she helped me arrange limo from the airport, set up spa appointment, set up a car rental. Exception service in regards to that. The location is perfect, 5 minute walk to the Old City, 10 minute walk to Lower Town, and right beside Grand Allee which has some really cool places to eat and drink. I recommend Cosmos Cafe for breakfast. If you feel like fast food there is a Mcdonalds right beside the hotel, skip it and go to Chez Ashton across the street. The hotel itself is clean, and very little to complain about. Now the things that dropped my score of it were, they have 4 tiers of rooms, express, standard, superior and deluxe. Now I don't know if this is the hotel's fault or Hotel de Glace, but the only reason we even stayed at Hotel Chateau Laurier over something like the Frontenac is because it came in our romance package at Hotel de Glace. Now we paid just under $1500 (at Hotel de Glace) for a 3 night package, 2 of which were nights at Hotel Chateau Laurier, and for all that money all we got was an express room, which was one double bed and about 2 feet of space on one side and maybe 4 feet on the other, about the size of a cruise ship cabin. We're not too picky and we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyways, but it still irked us a little to spend that kind of money and be so cramped (the hotel was empty so it's not like we couldn't have been upgraded). The spa was almost impossible to find, as it was under renovations and moved up to the 6th floor in what i think used to be a bathroom lol. Still though, I do recommend this, was very relaxing nonetheless. As we were checking out I had already made up my mind to give it a 4 out of 5 upon return home, but our invoice charged us nearly $400 for the spa, we had given the spa a $100 gift card that that I had cashed in a lot of my air miles to acquire, so the bill should have been less then $300 for 2 massages and 2 facials. The girl at the counter called the spa, then told us this was the reduced price, my wife simply said no it wasn't, and if it was she wants proof on the receipt that it was taken off, they just gave us the phone number for the spa's head office and sent us on our way, my wife was furious and we still had our night at the Hotel de Glace to go, so I tried to calm her down and forget about it until we're back home, and now we get the lovely opportunity to play phone tag with the spa. Despite this, I still do recommend the hotel, I just think we ran into some bad luck.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Bonjour JayMc11, thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review of the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec. We are happy that the service provided by Julie met your expectation; your positive feedback will be a source of motivation for her and her teammate. By the time you read these lines, the Bioterra spa will have been in contact with you confirming that a credit of 100 $ has been issue on your card, very sorry for the confusion and delay. We hope you enjoyed your night at the Hotel the Glace; it is such a unique product. Johanne Caron Director of sales and marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had pre-booked our room for a 2 day break from our trip to the east coast. Unfortunately,I had broken my ankle. We had called the hotel about 5 times to cancel our reservation but they refused to let us cancel our booking. Not only was my ankle broken but it was set incorrectly. Which I had told all 5 times that I had called them. So, instead of just not going to the hotel we opted to stay 1 night on our way back so we wouldn't loose all of our money. I don't know if they were mad that I had tried to cancel our reservation but when we got there to check in they gave us a room that was so far away. We had to take the furthest elevator that was up and down 2 ramps(inclines) to get to. And not my that our room was at the end of another decline. Day 4 on crutches is is was I get. We had asked to switch rooms but again they refused us. And when we went to check out the girl said " Oh, you re booked for 2 nights" I told her that I was aware of that but that her hotel wouldn't let me cancel. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about, and looking at her name tag, I'm pretty sure that she was one if the people that I talked to the 5 times I called. Horrible customer service.

Room Tip: D not stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Bonjour Kbeans_13 , we are very sorry to hear about your broken ankle, and hope by now, that it is all well. We are concern and sad that your stay at the hotel was not up to your expectation. When booking a hotel reservation via a third party web site, someone may select various options. A nonrefundable one, would usually translate by a reduction in price. Should a guest wish to cancel, they would have to contact the third party site with whom they have reserved, not the hotel. We always try to show flexibility, within the guideline available, in this case we did change the arrival dates twice, considering the unusual medical circumstances. The month of August is a very busy month; sometime with full occupancy we are not able to facilitate particular needs. Our objective is to provide each guest with a memorable experience, we will continue to focus on this very important aspect of our mission. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was wonderful and I enjoyed it with my family. But the one downside I found was that there was no hot tub. The pool was beautiful but I was looking forword to sitting in a hottub only to be dissapointed when there was none.

Room Tip: The higher up the more you see out the wondows
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Natasha G
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Bonjour Natasha G, we are grateful for your comment; we feature two outdoor hot tubs. Guests may access them via the pool area. I’m assuming that unfortunately you did not find them…I’m very sad since it is always great fun! Hopefully next visit you will be able to take advantage of this additional service. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went in winter and they also had a indoor warm pool, very nice people, and perfectly located next to Quebec Tourism Company and Plaines of Abraham for skiing!! Simply spectacular!!! Love it!! And I definitely go back!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Tamaris H
Bonjour Tamaris H. it is so gratifying to learn that we met your expectations. Thank you very much the operation teams..will be very happy. We look forward to welcome you again soon. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
pompano beach florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We chose this facility for the most two important reasons in a larger city. 1.) location and 2.) parking. We were not disappointed. I found it so refreshing to walk out of the front door to a vista of the city and rivers. and the fort...and the restaurants.

Our rooms did not look like some of the smaller depicted. Guess one could have that happen. We booked only 2 weeks in advance. We dined elsewhere. Valet parking was efficient and mid range in cost. This is a walkable city.

It was great to have Carlos Santana performing at an outdoor venue only 300 meters from my window. Yes it was Jazz Week. Half of our raison d`etre. Black Magic Woman.

Our floors Wine Dispenser worked. I'm certain the "kids" away from parents hoped so as well.
Pretty novel --- and fair priced. Breakfast in the adjoining restaurant appeared over priced.

Return? Oui.

Room Tip: Light a candle. I saw a wide variation of size of rooms when scrolling, after the fact.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank volvo57
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Bonjour, we truly appreciate your appraisal regarding your last visit with us. We hope to see you again during the Summer festival! Johanne Caron director of sales and markeitng
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just got back from Quebec. Its beautiful, but I suggest a smaller hotel elsewhere.

Let me be quick to point out many great things. The hotel has a great location, on the main street and if you book ahead a quiet room can be found on the Plains side of the hotel or overlooking the courtyard. The hot tub was full and hot -all the time. The small salt water pool was a nice touch but rarely used.

Now the bad news: The rooms were designed with money in mind. Our king size bed was the majority of our room. The hotel is under-staffed and ill equipped to handle capacity ,in my opinion. Rooms were still being cleaned at 4pm and the 2 small elevators were at capacity or took up to 5 minutes each use. We asked twice for a wine opener at the front desk and then follow-up call. The Bottle dispenser and ice machine did not work with our card. There was one bathrobe in the room, yet two people. The tv is dated and is an indication of the hotel itself.

The most disappointing is the parking and restaurant (St Hubert) They seem to be contracted out to do the hotel breakfast. The eggs tasted powder made and the food was cold and coffee tasteless. The fruit and cheeses were the only thing that saved us. The prices change. Day 1 was $15 day two was $18 each. We had the same thing two days in a row. Our bill and everyone else's came within a few minutes of sitting down, in an apparent rush to turn tables. Save yourself the trouble and head over to Astral. With comparable prices you get gourmet food.

The parking was by far the most expensive and with NYE festivities and closures became our first choice. The prices change if you go out for a day of skiing so ask about rates before. It varied $19-20 plus taxes/per day. It requires a separate elevator to access.

Room Tip: Call ahead for a quiet room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank vacati0nnati0n
Bonjour, your evaluation on your last visit has been more than constructive and we want to thank you for the information you provided to us. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Let me start with the positives : this hotel is very conveniently located (near la Grande Allée where there are tons of restaurants and just outside the walls of the old city). I also found it reasonably priced and found the front desk and concierge staff to be friendly and helpful.

However, with a name like "Chateau Laurier" and a four star rating, I was expecting a nicer room. My room was on the second floor of the Grande Allée wing and it may have been older than the rooms in other wings. It was an acceptable, functional room, particularly in view of the price, but it was certainly not a luxury room nor did it have any charm. I haven't stayed elsewhere in downtown Quebec City so I can't say how it compares value-wise to other options.

The other issue during my stay was that I was there for an Xmas party and they put me on the 2nd floor right above another Xmas party (both the night of my party and the second night). Some of my colleagues managed to get moved to the 4th floor but I asked too late and was stuck on the 2nd floor. The good news was that the music ended at 1am (as opposed to 3am!). I can understand that they put people there for Xmas parties in rooms adjacent to Xmas parties in the hope that they won't be in the rooms and won't mind the noise but that doesn't change the fact that I was stuck in a very noisy room. Glad I brought a book to read!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank James M
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Bonjour, thank you very much for all your comments, good and not so good. We need feedback in order to be better in the future, so it is greatly appreciated. Each comment is read by the executive comity in order to find solutions…so your intervention is not in vain! Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing.