“Perfect Base of Operations,”

Hotel Chateau Laurier
Ranked #36 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
pompano beach florida
“Perfect Base of Operations,”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We chose this facility for the most two important reasons in a larger city. 1.) location and 2.) parking. We were not disappointed. I found it so refreshing to walk out of the front door to a vista of the city and rivers. and the fort...and the restaurants.

Our rooms did not look like some of the smaller depicted. Guess one could have that happen. We booked only 2 weeks in advance. We dined elsewhere. Valet parking was efficient and mid range in cost. This is a walkable city.

It was great to have Carlos Santana performing at an outdoor venue only 300 meters from my window. Yes it was Jazz Week. Half of our raison d`etre. Black Magic Woman.

Our floors Wine Dispenser worked. I'm certain the "kids" away from parents hoped so as well.
Pretty novel --- and fair priced. Breakfast in the adjoining restaurant appeared over priced.

Return? Oui.

Room Tip: Light a candle. I saw a wide variation of size of rooms when scrolling, after the fact.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank volvo57
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Bonjour, we truly appreciate your appraisal regarding your last visit with us. We hope to see you again during the Summer festival! Johanne Caron director of sales and markeitng

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just got back from Quebec. Its beautiful, but I suggest a smaller hotel elsewhere.

Let me be quick to point out many great things. The hotel has a great location, on the main street and if you book ahead a quiet room can be found on the Plains side of the hotel or overlooking the courtyard. The hot tub was full and hot -all the time. The small salt water pool was a nice touch but rarely used.

Now the bad news: The rooms were designed with money in mind. Our king size bed was the majority of our room. The hotel is under-staffed and ill equipped to handle capacity ,in my opinion. Rooms were still being cleaned at 4pm and the 2 small elevators were at capacity or took up to 5 minutes each use. We asked twice for a wine opener at the front desk and then follow-up call. The Bottle dispenser and ice machine did not work with our card. There was one bathrobe in the room, yet two people. The tv is dated and is an indication of the hotel itself.

The most disappointing is the parking and restaurant (St Hubert) They seem to be contracted out to do the hotel breakfast. The eggs tasted powder made and the food was cold and coffee tasteless. The fruit and cheeses were the only thing that saved us. The prices change. Day 1 was $15 day two was $18 each. We had the same thing two days in a row. Our bill and everyone else's came within a few minutes of sitting down, in an apparent rush to turn tables. Save yourself the trouble and head over to Astral. With comparable prices you get gourmet food.

The parking was by far the most expensive and with NYE festivities and closures became our first choice. The prices change if you go out for a day of skiing so ask about rates before. It varied $19-20 plus taxes/per day. It requires a separate elevator to access.

Room Tip: Call ahead for a quiet room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacati0nnati0n
Bonjour, your evaluation on your last visit has been more than constructive and we want to thank you for the information you provided to us. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Let me start with the positives : this hotel is very conveniently located (near la Grande Allée where there are tons of restaurants and just outside the walls of the old city). I also found it reasonably priced and found the front desk and concierge staff to be friendly and helpful.

However, with a name like "Chateau Laurier" and a four star rating, I was expecting a nicer room. My room was on the second floor of the Grande Allée wing and it may have been older than the rooms in other wings. It was an acceptable, functional room, particularly in view of the price, but it was certainly not a luxury room nor did it have any charm. I haven't stayed elsewhere in downtown Quebec City so I can't say how it compares value-wise to other options.

The other issue during my stay was that I was there for an Xmas party and they put me on the 2nd floor right above another Xmas party (both the night of my party and the second night). Some of my colleagues managed to get moved to the 4th floor but I asked too late and was stuck on the 2nd floor. The good news was that the music ended at 1am (as opposed to 3am!). I can understand that they put people there for Xmas parties in rooms adjacent to Xmas parties in the hope that they won't be in the rooms and won't mind the noise but that doesn't change the fact that I was stuck in a very noisy room. Glad I brought a book to read!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank James M
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Bonjour, thank you very much for all your comments, good and not so good. We need feedback in order to be better in the future, so it is greatly appreciated. Each comment is read by the executive comity in order to find solutions…so your intervention is not in vain! Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing.
Luseland, SK
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This newly renovated, full service hotel was a great place to stay. The meals for our conference were truly amazing! Presentation & good food quality at its best! Meeting rooms & service were excellent. Free Wifi in our room. Pool looked inviting; although I didn't use it. The hotel is a bit of a maze getting to & from hotel locations... but this seemed a minor concern. Staff were more than willing to give directions as needed. One block from the Plains of Abraham & Old City made seeing the sites an easy thing to do. Suggested restaurants nearby were fun & cultural! I'd return...

Room Tip: Fun trip, I'd recommend & return!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marilyn K
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Bonjour Marilyn K., thank you very much for the time and effort you put into writing this detail testimonial on Trip Advisor concerning your visit at our facilities. To get feedback from a business traveler are not customary. Our teams at the catering and banquet services will be pleased to read your lines. Observations like yours are a source of motivation for the entire staff. We hope you will visit again. Johanne Caron director of sales & marketing.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

A friend and I stayed there for 5 nights in October. The location was excellent. We had to ask to have our room cleaned 3 out of the 5 nights. Our room access cards didn't function well, sometimes to our room and especially to fitness and swimming pool area. I was also very surprised that in order to use my iPad they wanted $5 per hour or $30 per day, just for WFi access. Their suggestion was that I could go out on the street and access WiFi or in their restaurant. It did work on the street but not in their restaurant. It poured rain most days so the street was not that appetizing as an option, although they did offer me an umbrella. In this market where even Tim Horton's and most accommodation offers free Internet access, I think that a "4 Star" hotel sHould have at least free WiFi. I will be unable to recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Joan H
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Bonjour , we understand that this client will not be coming back to our facilities based on his last experience. We are sorry that our accommodations or service did not meet his / her expectations, especially since we take great pride in our hotel services. We provide an extremely reliable wireless high speed Internet service at a reasonable price of 5$ for 30 minutes or 15$ max for 24 hour. The St-Hubert restaurant located within the hotel provides free Internet access; some clients find this service helpful. We will sure examine the efficiency of the door key cards. We would recommend strongly when having a problem during a visit at the hotel to contact the front desk director on duty who could help ease the situation. We hope this customer will continue to visit our great City. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing.
Cambridge, ON
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Last year we stayed at the Chateau Frontenac and this year at the Chateau Laurier. We loved both. Both my hubby and I agree we preferred the room here over CF. we stayed in the deluxe room with whirlpool tub it was a corner room with big bright windows overlooking the Plains of Abraham. It is a 15 minute walk too Lower Old Quebec (a MUST to visit) but the location introduced us to new parts of QC we didn't visit last year. We decided while it is a close one, we do prefer this location over CF. however we do enjoy walking and did quite a bit of that from here. Another MUST while you are here: Le Cochon Dingue for breakfast. THE BEST. it's in lower town so the walk too and from helps with the "guilt factor" with indulging in such CRAZY GOOD food. We oth had the eggs Benedict.
The staff at Chateau Laurier were always amazing and beautifully accommodating. We WILL be back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe and it was big and bright. It is a corner room with huge windows on two of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillandSean
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Bonjour, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Hôtel Chateau Laurier Québec, especially to have compare two different options. We hope this may help future visitors in selecting the perfect option. You have best summarized the main objective of the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec which is to exceed the expectations of our customers. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing
Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went to Château Laurier for the week-end of the 7th of December. One thing I didn't know is that week-end there was some specials events in the city so a lot of hotels were completely booked. So my original reservation to another hotel got cancelled and I was booked at Château Laurier instead. What a desapointement!!! First they assigned me a tiny room (and tiny is not small enough) facing the elevators with the outside view of a wall. I called the reception to request another room. The manager I spoke with was very nice and accepted to change my room. There is a BUT! The other room had a view of Grande Allée which is nice, but the room is outdated, the carpet gross and dirty and the bathroom so small that I don't have any space to put my toothbrush anywhere. The bed couldn't be harder. I guess I was put in the old part of the hotel...I work for the biggest Tour Operator in the country and I'm used to travel around the world to hotels that our company reffers us to and NEVER I was that disapointed and will let them know about this.
Definitly this is my first and last time here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cainsley
Johanne C, Responsable commercial at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Bonjour Joan H,
We listen to our customers. We are pleased to announce that Internet access in now free of charge for all our clients. This comment was posted before this new policy. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing