“Nickel and Dime”

Ranked #34 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Canada
“Nickel and Dime”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

High quality, but lacking class. Luggage carts are not available -- they may only be used by luggage porters. $12 a day for internet service. Really?? <ug> Nickel and Dime thinking. This is 2013, not 1994!

Nice pool. Immature staff. Untrained kids. At $300+ per night, I can expect professional behavior. These kids were nice to my face, but guffawed when they figured we were out of earshot.

These things all point to poor training, ie, poor management.

The stay was good, but the nickel and dime treatment is so "Super-8" ... but at Super-8, the Wi-Fi is free.

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor. You pay per view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kaustin6969
DanyThibault, General Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Good morning,

First and foremost, I wish to thank you for sharing your experience. I honestly appreciate your input and sincerely apologize for the poor service you encountered from the pool staff. I completely understand your point of view and much like you, I find this behavior to be inappropriate. It does not reflect our level of service. Rest assured, I have personally advised the owner of the company that manages the pool (subcontracting) in order for him to make the proper follow up with his staff members.

As for the luggage carts, there are specific reasons as to why they may only be used by luggage porters. Firstly, we only have a certain quantity of carts for our 571 rooms. Often, guests that leave with the carts and don’t necessarily bring them back after they’re done or they simply leave them in the hallways without advising. That can cause problems for other guests that need assistance with their luggage. Also, in many cases we have noticed that the carts aren’t used properly and can cause damages in the hallways. Last but not least, the luggage porter is a free service that the hotel provides to accommodate all of our guests.

This being said, I am hoping that you will return to our beautiful city eventually. I apologize once again for what you have encountered at the pool. If ever you are considering coming back to Québec City, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of making your reservations.

Dany Thibault
(dany.thibault@hilton.com)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 10 years. This was a long overdue return. We have not been for the last 4 years.
We stayed in July for 2 nights.The hotel has had a renovation since our last visit. I feel the public areas are too modern and the charm has been lost.
A mix up at check in had us arriving to the wrong room.
A call to the front desk to resolve the issue took about 15 minutes. We were switched to the room type we booked and had to drag our bags to the new room.
The junior suite was large and clean for the most part, but all surfaces were very dusty, perhaps it had not been occupied in several days.
It has been refreshed with new wallpaper and carpets. But the faucets are unchanged and kitchenette untouched. So not a complete reno.
The view was spectacular and really the best feature of the room. Bed was comfy but air conditioning was very loud.
Breakfast buffet at Allegro was disappointing. Not a good selection. 3 large bowls of canned fruit was surprising. The only fresh fruit was apples, oranges and bananas so spotted and black they should not have been on the buffet.
The usual bacon sausage and potatoes are offered. Limited selection of pastries and breads. No bagels.
Our eggs were ordered and arrived cold. My omelet had no cheese as I ordered.
I ordered french toast as they only had pancakes on the buffet. I was served 2 pancakes. And they were cold. I did enjoy the oatmeal and coffee though.
Not a very good offering for the price.
We had breakfast the next day in the executive lounge and we enjoyed that more even though there was not as many choices.
There are other hotels in the area that I would try before returning to this Hilton. But we would visit again as the location and view are amazing. And the staff is friendly.

• Stayed July 2013
raleigh, nc
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our first time to Quebec City and i couldn't be happier with our hotel choice. As soon as we pulled up, the valet nicely gave us the rundown of all the parking options (self-park vs valet) and the costs of each. He even recommended we self park since valet has limited in-and-out and i stated we may be getting the car a few times. This is a nice change from a lot of the joints that try to squeeze every penny out of you.
Front desk at check-in was extremely helpful with food recommendations and set us up with festival passes. The concierge was friendly and helpful with directions on multiple occasions.

The room was average, had a safe and a fridge, decent sized bathroom. The view was fantastic.

The location of the hotel is great. Convenient to old quebec and st. jean street.

I would definitely stay here again.

St. John's, Canada

Location is great!

Very happy that I could get a smoking room.

Room was really clean. Fantastic view of Parliament and fireworks.

The bed and pillows were so comfortable that I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning! I've stayed in a lot of hotels, but this bed has been ths BEST so far!

The pool was inside and outside, but a little on the small side.

The wings at the bar were pretty good. The breakfast could use a bit of improvement.

Overall, it was great and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1522...smoking room...and excellent view! Bed is super comfy!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Virgina
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Spent five nights at the Hilton Quebec City. Possibly the best Hilton I've stayed. Good staff, clean rooms. Executive Level offers excellent view and snacks and drinks. Hotel is located on hill overlooking all of Quebec and the St. Lawrence River. Highly recommended. Ask/pay for Executive Level rooms on top floors. Great family hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place can be a great stay if you are aware of some things. Internet will cost you $10/24hr. The food in the hotel does not look appetizing and $30/night parking is absolute robbery. That said - the River View from floors 10+ (we were on 16th) is worth every penny of the $210/night we paid. Ask for room 10 on any floor above 10 you will not be disappointed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

NYC
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very typical of a Hilton in a major city clean but certainly nothing  to write home about. The rooms can certainly use some updating.  The towels on a daily basis were dingy, housekeeping was really stingy with the soap.  The hotel does not provide slippers or free wifi; I  have come to expect that after a certain price point both slippers and wifi should be included . There was an absence of service / pampering not that the service was poor it was just non existent.

We had a lovely view but the windows were dirty.

1 Thank NikkiJR
DanyThibault, General Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Good morning,

I wish to thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize for the service you encountered from our cleaning staff. I would truly appreciate if you could give me more details of your stay (date & room number...) in order for me to make the proper follow up with our housekeeping staff. As for slippers and wifi, please know that they are available to every guest upon request and wifi is free in all public areas at the hotel.

Once more, I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel during your stay and if ever you plan to come back to Quebec City and you wish to give us another try, please contact me directly.

Dany Thibault