“My throat still hurts” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 108 Hotels in Quebec City
Ottawa
“My throat still hurts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is good, a short walk to all the attractions of old Quebec. However the parking is challenging to access- you feel like you have walked from Old Quebec as you go from the parking garage to the hotel (at least it is all indoors). The room was nicely laid out and the bed was comfortable. However the noise level was ridiculous. We felt like we were sleeping beside an outdoor cafe- even though we were on the sixth floor. There was noise of people walking and talking all night. In addition this is perhaps the driest hotel room I have ever staying in. I had to drink water throughout the night and still awoke the next morning with a scratchy voice. There are better options in town.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel while attending a conference. Great location to the conference centre and to Chateau Frontenac area (short walk) - exit to left of hotel, cross the street - walk past the roundabout and left under the archway.

Front desk staff were magnifique, especially Francine - merci beaucoup! Had a room on the 22nd floor - the view was breathtaking. Being on an executive floor, gives access to the Executive Lounge on the 23rd floor. This is worth paying extra for the room - all day access to all types of coffee, espresso, capuccino, latte, softdrinks (until 11 p.m.), morning continental breakfast, and evening hors d'ouevres (5-7 p.m.), however, the evening selection is quite the meal. Waitstaff there were fantastic and friendly, and make you feel at home. The Allegro restaurant is ok, but agree with some other writers, the pizza, is really pizza toppings on a tortilla wrap for $ 14.00. The calamari are good.

Room Tip: A Riverview room on an executive floor - can't go wrong
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Loved my stay at the Hilton Quebec City. Great check-in process and very helpful concierge. Due to the conference, had to check my bags, but easy to use and easily found on return. Amazing rooms, quiet. Phenomenally comfortable beds, pillows!!! Very clean, great wi-fi. Would stay here again!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

St. Louis, Mo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

After much consideration, and Tripadvisor research I picked the Hilton for my first ever visit to Quebec City. I could not have been more pleased. The hotel is very clean and well appointed. As a Hilton Honors Gold member I was upgraded to a high corner room with floor to ceiling windows, affording a breath taking view! The Old City just to the front and Parliament with its giant Fleur-di-lis flag flying proudly to my right. The location of the hotel was perfect as it was a easy walk to The Old City and Waterfront. I also greatly enjoyed the walk to the magnificent Grande Alee, everyone I encountered in this beautiful city were very friendly and helpful as I do not speak French. I cannot wait to return to Quebec City and Hilton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is very close to old Quebec where all the shops and restaurants are. The location makes it worth the stay otherwise it is very pricey for what you get. Not quite up to what Hilton standards should be.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here for four nights in mid April while attending a conference at the very close by Congress Centre. All in all, I had a mixed experience.

Location: I'll start with the very good news. The hotel is really ideally situated for anyone attending an event at the Congress Centre. There's an indoor link or you can literally walk less than 50m outside to go in the front door. For my stay, this was great. It's also very close to the old town. Everything in old town is no more than a 15-20 minute walk away. There were plenty of great restaurants and a grocery store located within 2 blocks.

Room: This was a mixed bag. The room had a very pleasant modern design and looked recently redesigned. The king bed was very comfortable and there was little noise to be heard from the street below (I was on the 12th floor overlooking the Parliament buildings - a stunning view!) or from other rooms. I slept very well each of the four nights. During my stay, I had a large number of junebugs / beetles that materialized from inside the heater below the window and crawled all over the window throughout my stay. About 20 dead bugs littered the windowsill and the floor close by each day of my stay. I mentioned it to the front desk who only gave it a bit of a shrug. One day they were cleaned up by housekeeping, the other days not. I expected a bit more from a Hilton of this stature. On another cleanliness item - two of my shower towels had pretty significant stains that were off-putting to say the least.

Amenities: A business-oriented hotel needs to have strong, reliable, fast wifi. This place didn't. I got better download speeds on my iPhone via 3G than the hotel's wifi. The two nights I (tried) to use the wifi it would continuously drop out and run at speeds less than 1Mb/s. This is really unacceptable for a business hotel. It's further unacceptable if you have to pay $9.95/night for it (the charge was removed either because of the conference rate or as a result of having a HHonors membership). In order to transfer some large files I literally had to walk over to the conference centre to do this. It also meant no Skype/FaceTime calls to family back home.

Staff/Management: With the exception of the one lackadaisical response mentioned above from the front desk, the staff were very pleasant and very accommodating of my basic French. A waiter in the hotel bar was exceptionally friendly and added greatly to the charm of a group get-together one evening.

Overall: I've traveled extensively and am pretty laid back when it comes to hotels. Good location, clean, reliable wifi, helpful staff and I'm a happy guest. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to return to this hotel, even for something at the Congress Centre in the future. I've had great experiences at Hilton properties recently (Denver, Pittsburgh) that weren't matched here. Although the price was reasonable and it was perfectly situated, the cleanliness of my room and the terrible wifi would make me look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room overlooking the historic old town - beautiful views of the Chateau Fronten...
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
DanyThibault, General Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your past stay. Knowing that you are a valued HHonors member and travel frequently, I must say that I was troubled by your review. I sincerely apologize for not offering you the high level quality of stay that you can usually expect from us.
This being said, I must specify that all of our employees get quarterly trainings on how to lookout for signs of bugs in a room. If ever a situation does occur, there have a very strict procedure to respect. Although it doesn’t happen very often, when an employee or a guest reports that there are bugs in the room, we assign a new room to our guest and put the room in quarantine. The room then goes under a rigorous bug inspection with PCO until the problem is completely solved. I sincerely hope that this situation was declared. As a matter of fact, I would really appreciate if you could send me more details (your room number and dates of stay) in order for me to do a proper follow up with our housekeeping and maintenance departments regarding your troubles. I can be reached at dany.thibault@hilton.com .
I am aware that we are not immune to mistakes. However, it is how we handle the situation that can help leave a positive impression. If ever you plan another stay in Quebec City and you wish to give us another try, please contact me directly and I will take care of your reservation personally.
Dany Thibault
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Hilton Hotel in Quebec City in well located with panoramic views over the old city - we had on room on the 20th floor. When the fog cleared on our 3rd day we could see the old city walls, the famous Frontenac Hotel, the Barbour and the Appalachian Mountains. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The service was good. The in-house restaurant was OK but nothing special for a city known for its french cuisine (we had excellent meals in restaurants in the old town)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple