“DOESN'T MEET THE HILTON STANDARDS”
Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed May 15, 2011

On all travelling occasions I always make it a point to stay at Hilton Hotels for their consistency and high-quality service. I stayed at the Hilton Quebec city on May14th 2011 on the 12th floor. The service is very good but the rooms and even the corridors are outdated on the unrenovated floors, the carpets needed to be cleaned, the room smelled musty, the old pneumatic thermostat in the room was not even working and windows looked like they have not been washed for years.... Can't tell you wich floors are renovated but the 12th is clearly not. However I am NOT suggesting that the hotel is totally dilapidated but just doesn't meet the Hilton facility standards.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dominic514

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed here for two nights (April 23&24). This hotel is minutes from Old Quebec. Great hotel, clean rooms (got renovated room) great service. Sunday afternoon for about 1 hour we could hear drilling due to renovation. I went down to front desk to complain about the noise. They were very nice and right away gave (4 adults) us access to the VIP lounge.... we had dinner, drinks and breakfast there... Sure made up for the noise. We will defiantly go back and I am so recommending this place. There are always going to be issues with resorts and/or hotels. The main thing is HOW these issues are dealt with!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We spent a week-end on business mi-March. We parked in their unground parking for 17$/day. This place is at a 10 minute walk from the beautiful historical old Quebec. Wonderfully situated. There are lots of shops, restaurants and sights to see.

The hotel room was small but adequate. We had a king bed with the view of old Quebec., the port and Chateau Frontenac. Personally, I found the bed much to soft, but that's my taste.Also, if my husband would just move a little, I felt the bed shake too much. Again, we are used to movement controlled beds or whatever they're called. We could see the sun rise. Our room and iron and board, mini fridge, coffee machine, alarm,safe (that could hold a 15 in or so laptop, wire internet, hair dryer. There is an ice machine close but not on every floor. We had a vending machine at 2,50$ for water and soft drinks. The ice machine was a floor down. There is free Wifi in the lobby, just ask for the password. Low water pressure in the shower. Not much info is in the room about the hotel. Nothing on the restaurant, massages, pool, etc...only the room service.

Take note that there is no snubbed like their website advertise...since at least 8 months. The gym and the pool are on the same level. The heated pool has an entry inside, so it's wonderful to use even in the winter.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant for 15$ each ( tip included) for a buffet. Very good selection. We headed out for lunch and dinner. You can ask the concierge for restaurant reservation and suggestions. Also in the lobby, there is a place where they organize activities. While we were there, they offered a group outing at Val Cartier (tube slides) with shopping I think. Ask for a map of Old Quebec at the reception or concierge desk.

Remember to put out the do not disturb sign, as they knocked at 8am on Saturday to do our room. Lucky for us we were awake.

I would stay here again because it's so close to the sights, restaurants and shops. I would ask for 2 double beds to get a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This is as nice as any Hilton property that I have stayed at. I was a little nervous after I read some negative reviews from other trip advisor members. I will start by saying that I was in a renovated room on a renovated floors. This meant that I did not experiance any of the problems with old and worn rooms that previous members have written about.

Another complaint I saw in a previous review was the parking situation. I drive a fairly tall vehicle so I am always concearned that it will not fit in the garage. I called after I booked and I spoke with a very nice front desk person who told me that if my car did not fit in their garage there was a parking garage nearby for oversized vehicles. She also explained to me that I could save some money by parking after 4 pm. I think the cost of this garage is 17.00 per day.

When I arrived I was greated by a very nice valet. When I asked him if my car was too big to valet he said it may too big to valet in the garage, but they had an outdoor lot where they valet oversized vehicles. I decided to leave my car with them and have the 25.00 per day charged to the room.

From the time I arrived and left my car with the valet I was greated with nothing but friendliness, respect and thoughtfulness from all of the staff. Marc the concierage was absolutely fantastic. He is a true professional and a credit to the Hilton orginization. The front desk workers were also very helpful.

Now for Hilton Honors members. This Hilton has an excecutive lounge that I was granted access to because of Hilton Honors. It is a fantastic room on the top floor of the Hotel. This is where the complmentary breakfast for Hilton Honors members is served. They also serve complimentary snacks in the afternoon from 5-7pm. The view from the lounge is probably the best view in Quebec Cifty. The staff in the excecutive lounge were very helpful. The lounge has free WIF Iinternet access.

The Gym and Pool were very nice. The pool was a little cold, but it is outside and it was cold outside. The location of this hotel is fantstic. it is a short walk to the old city and very close to some very nice bars and restaurants on St Jean street. The staff told me about an underground walkway which allows you to stay inside until you almost reach the restaurants, bars and clubs on St. Jean Stret that are near the hotel.

I know my experiance my have been different from other travelers because I am a Hilton Honors member. If you are a Hilton Honors member and you are thinking about traveling to Quebec City, give this hotel a try. I do not think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ElGueroNY
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We travelled to Quebec City to enjoy the skiing at Mont Sainte Anne nearby. We are familiar with the area and have been to the city nine times previously. The Hilton was our base for the visit and , once again,served us well.
The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and assisted us when one of our rooms was in need of changing due to size issues. They responded immediately by offering my son and his family a change to a much larger room which was reminiscent of a Junior Suite. Our room , which had been adjacent to their original room, was on a corner and had a superb outlook facing up the St. Lawrence Seaway.The decor of the room was modern and created a pleasant and relaxing environment.
The concierge desk was most helpful and the portering staff very efficient. One of them even recognised me from previous visits!
The staff in the Executive Lounge on the 23rd. floor looked after us extremely well and were helpful with any requests that we had.
We have plans to visit Quebec City again and would stay at the Hilton without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ALord
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Clean, modern rooms, roominess adequate for small family. Executive lounge is best I've ever seen in a Hilton anywhere. Within 10-15 mins walk of most of old city and Citadel. Staff was generally very helpful and pleasant. Main restaurant (Allegro) was very good - service was attentive and food was good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank oldgreywolfVT
Reviewed February 19, 2011

The Hilton Quebec is a big high-rise hotel right on the edge of the old and beautiful section of Quebec City. We got what we thought was a good deal for it through Priceline. In actual fact, we would have been better putting the 95 dollars we paid towards a little boutique hotel. The entire room was worn, lacking in care, and the hotel nickels and dimes you on things that other hotels give you for free. To be specific in my criticisms, as we entered the room we saw some old key cards lying in the middle of the room. We wondered - had the room even been cleaned? Toilet was a bit grungy, so hard to tell. On our second day we had twice as many shampoos and soaps, so again makes you wonder if it was cleaned. Other criticisms of the room upkeep - bottom of the bathroom door was missing chunks of wood and paint on both sides. Room wall corners were dented and missing paint. Despite double occupancy, we only got two bath towels and they were so small I would have called them regular towels, not bath towels. The towels were so thin and worn that when you held them up to the light you could see light through them in patches. The shower fluctuated hot/cold/hot/cold rapidly - very unpleasant. The room was small and had no fridge (heck, even Hotel 7 or Econolodges have fridges - how ca a Hilton not have a fridge?!).
So that is all the criticisms of the room. Now we get to the ridiculous extra charges. When you arrive the hotel only has valet parking - at $25 a day! For a two night stay that would push up the hotel cost by another $50! We opted to park around the block - for an additional $17 a day. Most budget hotels have free parking. Also most budget hotels have free bottles of water in the room. Our Hilton room had two tiny bottles - for $3.50 each!!!!!! Needless to say we bought liter bottles at the nearest corner store. And finally - this review is being written on the internet in the Hilton room - which does NOT have wi-fi. Instead it has a plug in cord which you pay $7.99 for three hours for, or $12.99 for 24 hours of use. If you forget to unplug, as I did, it goes on deducting hours even if you are not using it. If you and your spouse both have computers - tough luck... one cord only! Good grief! Even cheap budget hotels have FREE wi-fi in this day and age! Only this Hilton could soak you for $12,99 for internet!
So bottom line, - if you think that getting this hotel for $95 through a website like Priceline is a good deal.... think again! Incidentally, usually this room goes for $120 - or at least that's what the Hilton says on its website - an even worse deal!!!!!
Oh, the hotel does have a nice gym with no extra charge - they even give you free towels. They also have a pool, however the pool is an outdoor pool. You enter by a little indoor area, then go through hanging door flaps into the pool proper. We were here on a day when it was about -10 degrees celsius with a strong wind. It was freezing cold in the pool. The pool itself was a lukewarm temperature, but outside the cold wind literally froze your head. My ears instantly ached, my nose turned into a popsicle and I was desperate to get back inside after less than two minutes. I'm not sure if it was so unpleasant due to the wind, or if the pool was colder than usual. NOT a pleasant experience. Any other swimmers (all children) were squashed into the six by six foot section of the pool instead and screamed every time anyone went in or out through the hanging flaps, letting in blasts of sub-zero wind. The only good thing was that there were nice hot showers in the change rooms. My husband and I both chose to stay in the shower for a LONG time to recover!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank intrepidpam
yqbhi, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for voicing your opinion regarding your stay at the Hilton Quebec. If we don't know what our guests don't like, we cannot improve.
I am truly sorry that your stay didn't live up to your expectations. I can assure you that every day, we strive to be the best. In your case, it seems that we didn't succeed. We will be following up on the cleanliness of the room, given as this is one of the most important aspects of delivering a room. I would also like to let you know that we are currently renovating our last unrefurbished floors between now and the beginning of summer.
As for some of the extra charges, we are currently working on projects to more accessible Wi-Fi. In fact, as of this past Monday, guests have free Internet in the lobby.
However, being in the middle of the city, we are not able to offer complimentary parking. We do have some interesting packages including breakfast and parking that you can enquire about.
I hope you will give us another chance and come back to visit us soon.
Kind regards.