“Great time at Hotel de Glace”
Review of Hotel de Glace

Hotel de Glace
Ranked #39 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here the night of February 19th, 2013 with my girlfriend and we had a great time. We showed up at around 3pm, checked in and then walked around the property for bit before having a tour of the hotel (free for hotel guests). The tour was good 40 minutes and was interesting to hear some facts while seeing the whole hotel. Before 8 pm, you can take a look in all the suites and take photos everywhere. Getting a suite for the night is not necesary as you can visit all of them during the day, in the end you are just in your room to sleep, not to hang out!
After that we had the information session as to how to properly get into your sleeping bag etc. I think this part is a definite must even if you have been camping before, the lady gave some useful tips about how to keep your socks and boots dry.
Before dinner we took advantage of the free snow shoes and walked around the paths of the properties. not that well marked, but we found our way no problem.
Luckily we had our own car and went out to dinner close by, there are a bunch of restaurants all within a 5-10 minute drive. A much better option than the simple cafe that is on site.
When we came back, we had our free drink at the Ice bar, and we went on the ice slide a bunch of times! They had some activity in the bar area to keep you busy as well.
We went into the hot tubs before going to getting ready for bed. Without going into as much detail as other people, we headed to our room (#35) in our snow suit and our long underwear. We were both quite warm with one layer and didnt get cold during the night. We couldnt believe the number of people wearing cotton pyjamas to bed! They tell you not to during the info session!
The breakfast in the morning is not great, pretty simple and not a lot of variety. For the price that you pay even for a basic room I think it would be could to have some fresh croissant and make it more appitizing. If they changed this, I think it would give it 5 stars.
Overall, we had a great time at this unique place. Would I stay here again? Maybe but not for a while. But I do recommend it to anyone visiting the Quebec City area.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a suite, the normal/regular rooms are good enough!
1  Thank optimusreim
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Glace

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Three girlfriends and I went on a short two day, one night trip to Quebec City so we could stay at the Ice Hotel. What an amazing experience! Anyone who has a Bucket List needs to put this on theirs, it is such a wonderful place that's full of magic and delight.

You don't have to worry about being cold because there is no wind chill in the hotel, the hotel website has tips for how to dress and stay warm while there as well. There are hot-tubs by Arctic Spa (they make great products) and are encouraged to be used before going to bed to get your circulation going well. You're given heavy duty sleeping bags designed for sub zero temperatures, mattress and pillow while sleeping on an actual block of ice.

There was a slide, great bar (with live DJ), sculptures and interactive things to do.

Absolutely a memorable experience that I will always hold close to my heart.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The first item you must address is price. This is not cheap. I bought on Groupon for 50% off and it was still a small fortune. A month later, my girlfriend and I upgraded to a signature room which was another couple hundred. Dividing the cost helped us ignore how much we actually spent.

In all honesty, you can probably get everything you need from the Ice Hotel in a day visit. You can see all the rooms, the amazing carvings and have a drink at the bar.

The overnight stay is to be a part of the exclusive club. It isn't so much about bragging rights as something to cross off the bucket list. I'd similarly pay a premium to sleep at a zoo, museum or old castle. If you get that, you will understand the Ice Hotel.

Regarding infrastructure, the Ice Hotel takes over an abandoned zoo. I had no expectations and feared it was built in a parking lot with porta-potties and pop up tents. I was pleasantly surprised to see a proper entrance, check in, gift shop, cafeteria, showers, and bathrooms. It is still a public, industrial space and you shouldn't expect a hotel experience in any capacity. However, the staff is excellent and they do what they can to make it accommodating.

As an overnighter, you get to use the hot tubs / sauna and some other small things like free snowshoes to explore the rest of the park / abandoned zoo grounds.

Room Tip: The signature rooms are gorgeous but expensive. A basic room will give you 80% of the experience. Ho...
1  Thank AdventureArt
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had been planning this hotel stay for years. Finally I was able to do it and took my family with me - one of these life time experiences. We got the Discovery Package which meant a deal to leave our luggage, shower, dine and have breakfast at the nearby Sheraton. A shuttle was available 24 hours to take us from one to another location - just 2 minutes away. This was peace of mind as we knew we had an alternative place to go in case we were not comfortable sleeping at the Ice hotel. Two check ins were required - one at the Sheraton and one at Ice Hotel's 'celsius' pavillion. The celsius pavillion is a warm place that one can enjoy bathrooms, showers, wifi, comfortable seats and meals. The Ice Hotel architecture is really amazing - we learned it took 2 years of learning with a Swedish team until they got a grip on how to build this. A mold (later removed) is used to build the main structure. The room's interior walls are carved by local college students and differ from each other. This year, the hotel had 44 rooms which were built in 3 stages. We stayed at Room 5 - it was one of the only ones able to accommodate 2 queen size 'beds'. The rooms have no doors, but a curtain instead. Blue curtains meant simple, spartan rooms. Burgundy curtains meant carved rooms. Some have elaborate ice furnitures and animal fur covering them. The chapel and the bar are beautiful. We got to drink apple cider in ice glasses - really hard to do it but surprisingly good. The bar has blasting music, lots of dancing customers. The hotel has created an ice slide that is now open even to adults. If was a fun! The hotel atmosphere is of a big party. We never got to feel really cold during the day as we were always moving around. Gloves and hat are a must. The experience of sleeping at the Ice hotel is quite complex. We got directions via E-mail after I requested them so I knew what to take, what to wear, what to expect beforehand. Previous Trip Advisor reviews were very helpful as well. We were a little apprehensive at first, but after going through the experience everyone had a smile at breakfast and stories to tell back home. We arrived at about 3:30PM for our overnight stay and got to pick on all rooms. It was good timing as we got to enjoy the behind the scenes tour at 5:30PM when we learned about the hotel history and the 6:45PM sabatical on how to sleep there without freezing. The tours are given either in French or English - check the time prior to joining one. The staff at the ice hotel is very helpful providing information on what to do and when. They recommended the bath tub or sauna prior to the overnight stay. I was the only one from my party doing this - it was quite an experience wrapping myself in a robe and walking back and forth to the celsius pavillion in freezing temperature. We did not think this was critical to warm up our bodies properly for the night, but I thought it was an interesting ritual. We were provided sleeping bags that were good enough for much colder temperatures. The instructions on how to spend the night were clear although we had a little trouble with closing the sleeping bag. The proper use of the sleeping bag and the inner sleeve is critical for a decent night. They recommend little clothing at night. They light up several candles in the room for extra light. We were warm at night for the most part. Although I had long sleeves and pants, I wish I had an extra layer as I felt my body temperature going down a bit during the night which made me panic. None us us slept more than a few hours. We woke up right at 8AM with the noise of people getting up. We were asked to leave the room at 8:15 so they get it ready for the 10AM tours. We decided to have breakfast at the Ice hotel to make it simple. We thought breakfast was simple and good. We thought that the dining experience the night before at the Sheraton was great - delicious 4 course meal, more than what we were expecting. One can tour the hotel without having to stay. However, I particularly think that staying overnight is a must if you can afford.

Room Tip: You do not get to chose a rom at this hotel unless you are the bride and groom. All room are quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MCNICE9
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

first off ladies . I'm always cold and I was warm here, even through the night.
dress In layers .. They will tell you once you have booked what the best clothing choices are and so on ...
we brought those "hot seats" from Canadian tire that ice fisherman use and that kept us off the Ice seats and very dry and warm.. I would recommend anyone that's going do the same. Also bring a flask .. The drinks are very expensive for a small portion ...
this place was AMAZING !!!
My bf and I are both in our 30's and the majority of the staff and guests were also in the age range of 25-35...
the club was great.. The night we stayed the Nordic group ( their sponsors) were there and so the club stayed open till 3 am. Normally it closes at 12:00.
the hot tubs were clean and nice never packed and they stay open all night.
Snowshoes are available for free .. We did the trail .. It takes about 20 mins ..
The hotel is built on the grounds of an old zoo so the trail for snowshoeing had some interesting old buildings along the way ..
our room was a suite with a fire place
No heat comes from them but it's beautiful.
We stayed at the four points hotel the night before and would recommend it.
There is a free shuttle between the ice hotel and the four points ... We took advantage of this for supper the night if the ice hotel ...
I'm so glad we went this trip is something to do once in a life time
I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and 10yr old daughter recently stayed one night at the Hotel du Glace. We had paid $1,200 for the so-called Adventure Package. At this price we were expecting really excellent service and while the room itself was very spartan (and of course cold!), so also were the associated facilities. The hot tubs and sauna were a joke, the breakfast consisted of microwaved croissants, limp bread, and a couple of cereal choices. and the breakfast area looked like a low level cafetaria. The breakfast as well as the dinner before was paid for by "coupons" that had been issued to us as part of the package. As the dinner was "couponed", we were allowed to select form a very limited menu at the Sheraton Hotel nearby. Given the price that we had paid we fully anticipated being able to select from the full menu; again shocklingly poor service and quality for what we paid. Our advice is: if you want to stay at the Hotel du Glace then book one night directly with them, do not get seduced into packages of any sort and be prepared to pay a princely sum for being able to say that you slept there. By the way, we were not cold in the least during the night and the hotel is very unique; not worth the stay but certainly worth a visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room very far from the bar area
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank gbb54
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Like others who've left reviews before, the architecture of the ice hotel is truly amazing. It's sad to think that every April they collapse it and rebuild it each December. The wedding planning and ceremony was very professionally done, right from our initial contact. Elisabeth was our wedding planner and she was nothing short of extraordinary! She made our day excellent. The photographers were also excellent and very entertaining.

As for our stay, we stayed in the premium suite with our own private hot tub and sauna. This is the way to stay as we didn't have to run down the hall to get to the general hot tub and sauna area. However, being that it was the premium suite, we had people, even when it was just hotel guests, walking into our room to 'take a look' despite the curtain being closed. That was the one downfall as we felt for $800+ a night we'd have more privacy, but even after telling hotel staff about the issue, after different times of people coming in, it didn't change - we woke up at 7:30 AM to people coming into our room, which I was not impressed about at all.

The stay was a great experience, and if you follow the instructions given from the staff you'll be fine. The only thing that got a little cold was my face, and even that wasn't bad. Like other reviewers, the breakfast was rather pathetic, given what you've paid. All-in-all I'd tell people to stay there, enjoy the moment as it's a story you'll tell over and over... and people may think you're crazy!!!

Room Tip: All depends on price, but suites are closer to the main lodge and the hot tubs and saunas.
2  Thank JPP566