“A day to remember!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel de Glace
Ranked #37 of 108 Hotels in Quebec City
“A day to remember!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Visiting the Hotel de Glace was in my list for a long time. I didn't spend the night there, just made a quick tour before heading to Quebec City's Carnival. But it was worth it! It's amazing what those guys can make just with ice. I hope one day I can go back and spend the night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alebasi85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We did not stay here but we did visit. I suggest going there when it's less busy (not the weekends).

It's really hard to not get lost and miss a hallway with rooms and suites. If you can follow the map, I suggest you do (we couldn't really follow the map, all the halls looked the same haha).
We did not try the free tour, but maybe we should have.

The theme this year was the Inuit culture. The designs in the rooms, suites, hallways, and sculptures were really beautiful and incorporated the theme very well.

Besides dressing warm in general, if you're going to drink at the bar I suggest wearing gloves. The glasses are made out of ice so your hands get really cold really fast. It's good to not wear jeans and wear snow pants or a material similar to that so you can try the slides. There are two, the North Face one inside and the Giant Slide outside. Both were fun but the Giant Slide was obviously a lot bigger, funner, and faster. We also liked the Maple Taffy at the store outside, it was a fun and very sweet experience. The chapel is very pretty and my friend had her wedding here, it was a great experience.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kaysiah-chan
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you enjoy the concept of sculpture in ice and enjoy some novelty, this is a good activity for a couple of hours. Make sure to wear warm clothes and insulated shoes. Everything in this place is literally ice cold.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerET134
Sudbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We have always wanted to stay in an "ice hotel" so when our family gave us a Groupon for a night at Hotel de Glace, we were thrilled. Despite the unseasonally warm weather and rainy night, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and experienced the best night's sleep we've had in years. No light, no sound, nice and warm = good sleep. The person at the registration desk was incredibly helpful and we were issued a pass that enabled us to move around the hotel at our leisure, enjoy hot chocolate/coffee/tea and snacks in the overnight guests area, take tours, play games and drowse by the fire.

The hotel is amazing - creatively conceived, carved, and crafted. We loved the theme of First Nations that permeates this year's decor and our tour guide was knowledgable and friendly. After dining at a suggested (and very delicious) restaurant - La Traite in Wendake - we returned for orientation on how to use the sleeping bags and stay dry and warm in the 26 degree temperatures, quite a challenge on a rainy night. The lodge is clean, modern and warm - could use more tables and room for us high-maintenance girls who need hairdrying and make up to feel human in the morning.

A tip for anyone staying over - bring nothing into the lodge (they give you lockers) except your clothing on your back, your bathing suit, whatever you are sleeping in - recommend synthetic long johns, underwear, socks and a hat - and your toiletries. Leave everything else in the car. We dragged all of our luggage in and shouldn't have. Too much trouble.

After a warm and wet outdoor hot tub and a hot, dry sauna, we changed in the lodge and settled into our room for a comfy night. Breakfast is rather a cafeteria-style affair - could use a food upgrade. Our passes were good for wandering around the hotel all day, participating in a variety of outdoor activities and communing with the huskies that were on exhibit by a local dog-sled company (that's another experience we recommend).

We loved this one-of-a-kind experience and highly recommend it to people with curiosity and adventuresome spirit!

Room Tip: You can tour the gorgeous themed rooms all day but for sleeping (and that is all you can do in the r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TwoTravelers21
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel represents the best of technology, nature & art. Went for the day & was well worth it. The ice blocks were pure & clear with magnificent carvings. The rooms are one of a kind. Kids loved the indoor slide, the outdoor slide, maze & igloo. The Sugar Shack was generous with the maple taffy which you make on the snow. The entry fee lets you have access all day, so you make come back & see the night lights. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank JOL69
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I bought this trip via a groupon and tried to cancel as my spouse is sick. They were not sympathetic, were very unhelpful and pretty much told me "too bad." They offered to allow me to pay $175/pp to come back at another time. So, basically I would have to pay $350 in addition to the $200 I paid for to come back at another time... Rude, rude, rude. Not worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank RJ O
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The hotel is really a work of art, the themed suites are amazing. We stayed here with our two children in the Owl suite. It was a great experience. You can go in juring the day but that is when it is open for public viewing, the public leaves at 7:00 pm and you can see your room around 8:00 or 9:00. While you waite there is an information session on how to sleep there, a bar, as well as activities. When you are ready for bed they suggest you have a hot tub then a sauna, both on the premises, then get ready for bed. You sleep in a "mummy" sleeping bag, very warm but very constricting. The only problem I had was that I had a few beers at the bar and woke up having to go, it is a little way to the toilets. My son and I did not last the whole night, he was too hot and I did not go back after my second bathroom run, my wife and daughter had no problems at all. If I had a complaint it would be the powdered egg breakfast they served, for the money you pay it was very disappointing. It was a once in a life time experience, I would not do it again but I am glad I did it!

Room Tip: Get a room near the welcome center, the washrooms are a lot closer. The themed rooms are nice but yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family