“un bon hôtel mais pas un 4 étoiles”

Hotel Manoir Victoria
Ranked #21 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed October 15, 2012

What I liked: The hotel location (in the heart of old Quebec City), the staff (excluding one bell hop who was a bit of a boob) were extremely accommodating, the breakfast, the bedding and rooms were very comfortable.
What I did not like: 1) The climb up the steep, steep, steep hill to reach the hotel from the train station. We decided to take a cab to the train station upon our departure- it cost less than $5.00 and we laughed at ourselves for making the climb upon our arrival. Even if you are physically fit, you are better off to take the cab.
2)There is not one person- young old or indifferent who would reach the front doors of this hotel, peer up the imposing set of stairs and think, "are you kidding me???" A hotel with so many stairs to enter its reception area wtih no elevator, lift or escalator makes NO sense at all. The bell hop will assist you however, the boob I encountered held the door for me as I struggled with my luggage over the stairs going into the hotel (not offering to help) and pointed upwards towards the stairs to register. I instructed him to carry my luggage up the stairs and he complied but should have offered in the first place. There are times when the front door is not manned because everyone who arrives or departs will require bell hop assistance so some people may have had to lug their suitcases up those stairs. The stairs also eliminates so potential patrons such as those who are ambulatory challenged, seniors or those who are ill.
Hotel is not what I would consider a 4 star but certainly adequate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent three days in Quebec City for the Indian Summer and the culture of French Canada.

Well, what shall I say? The hotel is really one of the best we ever stayed in. The location is fantastic! It is already in the historic quarter of old Quebec. You walk five minutes and are at the Chateau Frontenac, which is considered the heart of the city. The rooms are super spacious with large beds and enough space to place and open all your luggage. The most outstanding and commendable is actually the service. Everybody was super nice to us. I especially want to mention Frederic who helped us with our luggage, gave recommendations what to do and arranged the valet parking. We got the impression that these guys actually love their jobs and are not there because there is nothing better to do. I will always recommend this hotel.

P.S. We did not go to the spa or the swimming pool and always had breakfast in one of the French bakeries outside, so I cannot say anything concerning that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent the weekend here and had a very nice stay. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We found it an easy walk to all the attactions as well as having a great selection of shops and restaurants right around the corner on Rue St Jean. Our window overlooked Paillard Cafe and Bakery; not to be missed! Our deluxe room was spacious and comfortable with 2 double beds and plenty of space for the rollaway bed for our son. We did not eat in the restaurant but my chef wife was impressed with what she saw through the kitchen observation window. My only complaints: it's unfortunate that you have to pay daily for parking as a guest of the hotel. Also, wish the windows opened. I appreciate there must be some control for heating/coolong costs but I prefer fresh air when I sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Spent two nights here. Hotel is just within the old city walls. A short walk to Chateau Frontenac and down to the older city. Room was very spacious. Only negative I can think of - you must take a flight of stairs to get to the reception desk from the street. Doorman is always there though to help you bring the suitcases up and down. Valet parking saved us the hassle of finding a parking spot. Ate at the the hotel's restaurant Chez Boulay but that is for another review (it was great!) Would I stay here again? Definitely.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel during Carnival. The location isn't bad. It's not great for Carnival - but it's not horrible. It's barely inside the walls of the old city. It's a long walk to the Carnival activities and an almost impossible walk to the Night Parade. If we were to go again we would choose our hotel and location much more carefully.
There was a hockey tournament while we were there as well. The hotel staff just seemed completely overwhelmed. It was hard to get any help at the desk.
The room was nice - dated - but adequate. Breakfast in the morning is not worth the money. It's expensive and not very good.
All in all - it will do - but we wouldn't use it again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TorontoStephaniew
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently as part of a tour of Eastern Canada. The hotel was perfectly placed for seeing the beautiful city. The shops, restaurants and sights were all a short walk away. I had been a little worried beforehand about the steps up to the hotel as I have a bad knee,but they really were not a problem. We had elderly people with us on our tour and they all managed the steps fine, admittedly we did not have to carry our own luggage, which made it easier. The room was spacious and the beds were very comfy. There was a nice choice of food at breakfast and it was cooked well. There is quite a steep climb up to the hotel from the train station end of the town, but walking the other way towards the shops etc was fine. The hotel is opposite the local hospital. Tim Hortons (coffee shop) was a couple of doors away. We went to a lovely steak house in the train station building for a meal which was very nice. There was free wifi in the rooms at this hotel which was a bonus. All in all a great hotel to make as your base when visiting this lovely city.

1  Thank Merv49
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel has a nice history. It is very elegant. Our "superior" room was large and clean. The service, including valet, was very friendly and helpful. Wifi is free and has good reception in the room. Our room was very quiet. We would stay here again.