“Charming old Quebec hotel”

Hotel Manoir Victoria
Ranked #22 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband, his mother, my mother & I stayed at Manoir 2 nights at the beginning of September. The hotel is nicely kept, clean, and definitely offers that "old Quebec" charm and experience. The room our mothers shared was a superior with 2 queen beds - very specious. My husband & I opted for a superior with 1 queen bed - same price, but MUCH smaller room, and the queen bed seemed to be a double, not a queen. Again, both the room & the bathroom were clean, and equipped with all we needed, including a clock radio with IPhone/IPod docking station. I liked that the windows opened, but unfortunately our room was facing the back of the hotel, with some massive generator running 24/7 - too noisy to enjoy fresh air.
The location of the hotel is perfect - around the corner from a street filled with restaurants & boutiques, and about 5 minutes walk from most major attractions.

The staff was very polite and helpful, the only thing that was a bit disappointing was our check-in experience. We took a morning flight, and arrived at the hotel early, around 11AM, knowing the check-in begins at 3PM. Our bags were stored by the hotel, and we were able to enjoy a nice lunch nearby while waiting for our rooms to be ready. We returned around 2:30PM to check-in. Our mothers' room was ready, but not ours, so we waited till 3PM. At 3PM, we overheard the front desk attendant on the phone, telling a potential client that the hotel is wide open, and no reservations are necessary, yet we were still waiting for our room. Finally, shortly after 3PM, front desk attendant changed our room to another, and we were given a key & a room. What would have been far nicer is offering to switch the rooms right away, and not having us wait for 30min, something I would have expected at a high end hotel with lots of empty rooms.

Overall, our stay was pleasant and met our expectations. The only thing I'd change if I were to stay there again, I'd ask for the 2-bed superior room.

Room Tip: Book on-line using CAA/AAA discount if you're a member & ask for superior room with two beds
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PypsandFriends

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Pros - Clean, comfortable, gigantic rooms (ours was a deluxe double), overlooking traditional architecture on Rue St. Jean. Large closet, dresser, desk (though no stationery other than the memo pad), sitting area by window with table and two large chairs. The staff was particularly friendly, especially Bernard. Free wi-fi, comfortable beds, centrally located. We did not dine in the hotel, but considering the high price of food in Quebec, it did not seem exhorbitant. There was a small grocery store right downstairs, which was open until 9:00, two sushi restaurants,a creperie around the corner, and Paillard across the street for breakfast or lunch. The mini-bar was large enough to keep milk and a few other necessities for your breakfast.

Cons - The pool was a bit of a let- down: though clean, it was cold and not as pretty as in the photos. The sauna was a bit worn down, and the one excercise bike was impossible to program.
The lighting in the room was rather dim - fine for a romantic getaway, but dreary on a rainy day. The modern bathroom was clean, but lacked robes or anywhere to hang your wet suit, washcloth or handwashing, or grip in the bathtub.
To me, the biggest letdown was the vinyl wallpaper. I can understand in the hallways, but not in the room, especially in a purportedly eco-friendly hotel.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend this hotel.

General recommendations: comfortable footwear, a camera with a large memory card, as you will want to photograph everything, and a rain poncho for Montmorency Falls, which is a must: take the bus for $2.75, walk across the suspension bridge, down the steps, around and across the river and back up via the gondola. Awesome!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank JadedNotFaded
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in QC for 3 nights and they had problems with both running our credit cards (they tried all of them, they had worked earlier in the day and later that same day) and temporarily lost one set of our keys to our car. However. Bernard at the front desk helped us through the first one, and also shared with us about the free Cirque show for our kids, and assisted in finding our set of keys, which were misplaced on another set of keys. Normally this would be a terrible start to a hotel stay, but because of Bernard's warm and welcoming manner, and the way the hotel handled both issues (and that both were solved quickly), we ended up enjoying our stay. Excellent customer service, clean and large rooms, nice pool area, and accessible to everything in the old city. I would stay there again with my family (children ages 3 and 5).

Room Tip: I also used the website to get sq. footage as another poster suggested here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank aks
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I had a phenomenal experience here. I am easy to please but this was beyond me being easy to please. First, a spectacular location. You can just leave your car in their parking garage for $20 a day (worth it!) and move around on foot. The room was great...and we had a fairly standard room. But the hotel staff really amazed me. The NICEST, most helpful, honest, and sincere...and I interacted with everyone from the pool maintenance guy to the hotel manager.

Stay here!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CityLover766
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Arrived on a rainy night luckily the taxi driver took pity on us and helped us carry our suitcases up the steep flights of stairs to reception. As my wife uses a walking stick this was very helpful as no staff seemed to be in attendance.

Reception was ok, room very nice with a balcony, as with other reviews the breakfast vouchers are a must. We waited in the Bistro for ages to be sat, staff just ignored us, so we decided to order Room service be warned the wait was atrocious almost an hour!

Carriage drive was fun and the whale watching trip excellent.

On leaving, once again the porters disappeared leaving me to carry the cases down the stairs myself.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank southact
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed here from August 26th to September 2nd.Was a bit concerned when arrived as the front of the hotel overlooked a building site but don't judge a book by it's cover!!
As soon as we entered the grand lobby it was evident that we nedn't have been worried.
We had a double room on the 4th floor which had a lovely view over the roof tops to the port of Quebec. The room itself was not massive but quite adequate for the 2 of us and the bathroom was very clean & well supplied.The only complaint I had was that I kept walking into the corner of the bed and came home with matching bruises on each leg(but this was probably me being clumsy!).
One tip..ask at reception for breakfast vouchers, they're $12.50 each but then you can eat as much as you want from the buffet(which is very good).
We also found the lifts very slow, as in previous reviews.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend staying at this hotel and hope to return some time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel on floor 3or above.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jane_and_John_Shaw
Reviewed September 1, 2011

You couldn't ask for a better location in the Old City. It is walking distance to every sight and lots of restaurants. When you walk out of the hotel, you walk right onto to the cobblestones streets and it feels as if you are in Europe. The hotel room was large, comfortable and extremely clean. Everyone at the front desk was very helpful. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends