“Wish I knew beforehand”

Hotel Universel Quebec
Ranked #91 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Quite a shabby unkept place. First time I've ever posted pictures because it is disrespectful to keep a place like that for tourists. Owner has no respect, or no money. Very close to a university, the whole neighbourhood felt run down. Had to drive far out to find great food. A woman just before I checked asked for a refund, and changed hotels. I just didn't have the energy to do the same. The outlet where I should have a lamp and plug my coffeemaker and laptop was dead. I plugged the coffee maker into the bathroom, and my laptop near my bed. I had to put my briefcase against the window, otherwise everyone outside could see me in the room as the AC vent was so high, the curtains couldn't be controlled. Busted walls, bruised entrances. Dirty. The vaccuuming is completely missing, in all corners. I wouldn't recommend any family member to stay here. There is no pride of ownership here, owner doesn't give a crap.

Ridiculous price for breakfast. $10.00 for croissant and juice. No hot meal (Monday morning. I went to the nearest Cora's and paid just a bit more for a fabulous breakast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.
We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectation. We wish you had let us know about your problems during your stay so we could have worked something out.
However, we take note of your comments about your room. We do want to offer our guests a satisfying and comfortable experience, so thank you for letting us know about your stay.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Universel Quebec

Reviewed April 9, 2013

First impression was not great. Neon sign had the"H" burned out, paint on the sign on the wall was peeling off. Seemed like a hotel in need of some upkeep.
We were given a room that didn't match our reservation. We had reserved a king room with pull out couch. Received a room with two queen beds.
Getting to the room, it was very dark and gloomy. Seemed like 30 watt lightbulbs. To top if off one of the beds was broken.
We called the front desk and promptly received a new room. Much better, but still wasn't the king room we had reserved.. Seems like part of the hotel has been renovated and part has not.

Seems even the hotel restaurant packed up and moved elsewhere. sign indicates it has moved down the street. Breakfast was served in a conference room. Food was tolerable.

Lobby and pool area is nice. from what we had seen, the rooms that face inward toward the pool courtyard are much newer and nicer.

Next time, I plan on staying elsewhere

Room Tip: Get an inside room facing the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
We are sorry to hear that there was a mistake with your room at first, however we are glad you contacted us, let us know and found your new room more to your liking.
Le Greco restaurant is indeed closed, and now we serve only breakfast to our guests.
Parts of our hotel have been renovated not long ago, including our indoor spa and pool area, as you mentioned.
Again, thank you for this review, and if there is anything we can do for you on a next trip to Québec City, we would be happy to.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

At first glance, the Universel looks like an out-dated hotel/motel from the 50's. However, it has been up-graded inside, and while the paint is a little chipped and the doors scuffed, the rooms are comfortable. Beds are new and bathrooms up-dated recently. The pool area was better than I expected, with a hot tub and a couple of saunas in a faux tropical environment. All full of plastic plants, but at least the birds in the cage are real, so you can kind of pretend its all real.
The hotel is situated across the street from the sports facilities at Laval University, and therefore gets much of its business from the various teams that are playing in tournaments there. Plus, it is also on the seniors bus tour circuit. That means that there is regularly are large group of people who know each other, so it can mean big crowds in the lobby or pool area at any time (or conversely, it can all empty out at once). The pool varied between empty and jammed, depending on what groups went swimming together. I did find that one group kind of considered the spa to be "their" place, and pretty much took over every spot at various times, including moving my towel away from where they wanted to sit. If its just small groups of random strangers at a more typical hotel, that kind of behaviour is far less likely, so be advised.

There are a lot of fast food places near-by, due to the proximity of the university, and a number of good restaurants on Myrand, a couple of blocks toward the downtown. There is also a Metro almost next door for any groceries you may need. Of the quick service restaurants, we preferred Chez Victor and the Salad Stop (I think that's the name) in the big pyramid-shaped building next door.

Easy access to downtown on the #7 bus, which runs very frequently, especially at rush hour. Over-all, an OK experience, with a reasonable room at a reasonable price, but not best for a quiet time away.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Skisoccertrampdad
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay.
We are happy to find out that you appreciated your room ; we try and keep our rooms as updated and as modern as possible, as you noticed.
We are also glad you could enjoy our atrium, with its indoor pool and spa, and that you found our location to be convenient. There are many restaurants and services around, and bus 7 is an easy ride to the Old-Québec, as you said.

Again, thank you very much, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I came to the Hôtel Universel 3 times before and was satisfied with the service received, although I though the last time it was a bit of a run down.

This time, I got a room where the keys weren't working. I had to go down to the reception twice with all my luggage to change the key. The woman had the front desk had no clue what she was doing and she gave me the same keys. No one offered me help to get my stuff back to the 4th floor.

The room is quiet, I have no complaints for the noise in the room. 4th floor (the highest one) is the best to avoid the noise coming from the 1st and 2nd floor. Do not go to these floors as you will hear the very loud noise from the pool, the reception & the bar as well as the road. As usual the room was clean but there is still carpet in the floor so I guess it's no so clean, and when the concierge came to repair the door, he came in with his working boots on. If he does, the guest might do so and I do not wish to see how much bacteria is in that carpet...

The room is cold and even while putting the heating up, it is still cold. I cheked everywhere for extra blanket and never found any, so I had to remove the one from the 2nd queen bed to put them on mine. Good thing I am alone cause if there was an extra guest, we would have to choose between sharing bed or freezing.

The major complaint I have to do is about the atrium, pool and spa area. The employees here have absolutely no control on the guests in the hôtel and they let kids acting like real salvages, disturbing everyone that would wish to use the spa and pool to relax a little bit. There is no hours for adults. These kids run around the place all day long, after 7 PM it should be for 18+ only. It is a real shame. Kids were restling on the side of the pool, smashing voleyballs all over the pool, playing with floating toys (in a very small pool) and splashing everyone without even caring. Let's not forget all the noise they were making, yelling their lungs out even during the evening ! There is a big sign, both in french and English, that clearly says that the spa section is for 18+. Well, the spa was filled with kids and so were the sauna so we couldn't use them from the whole week-end. When we complained at the front desk, they went to the pool, I don't know what they did but the situation never changed.

What is the point of paying for an hôtel that has a spa, if you can't use it ? Even if there would've been room in it, with the kids out of it, there was so much noise in there we both got a headache and went back to hide from these disturbing kids and teens and their permissive parents that didn't cared at all their monsters disturbed everyone.

I usually travel in youth hostels and I am not bothered by normal noise. This was just too much. You might as well go to the Château Repôtel, pay 30$ a night and go to a real nordic spa with silence zones.

This is my last trip to the Hôtel Universel, I cant believe I took a chance to book again there tonight, I just can't wait to leave in the morning and I am sad that I lost over 100$ for this. And although the renovated rooms are nice, they are not Worth the price at all ; the spa is a real terror zone as well as the pool is and I will strongly recommand to anyone to avoid this place from now on, unless they are travelling with disturbing kids themselves ! No, nay, never.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EliiMaud
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for writing this review, we appreciate it.
We are glad you were satisfied with your room.
We are sorry you could not enjoy our spa and pool as much as you would have liked to. Our atrium is indeed open to all our guests, including children, which makes its atmosphere different depending on who is currently using it.
We are sorry you were disappointed in your experience, and offer our apologies.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel twice in the past 6 months and will return soon. It's a great location, rooms are very confortable and we love the pool/spa area, kids loved playing in the cold water spa. we also enjoyed the restaurant that can be accessed from the hotel , makes it very interesting when it's a blizzard outside.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MomyontheGo
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Bonjour,

Thank you very much for taking time to write this comment. We are very happy to know that your stay at Hôtel Universel met your expectations and that your family was able to enjoy our pool and spa. It is true that in the winter - especially these days in Québec City! - our restaurant, pool and spa are very much appreciated.

Thank you again, we hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is kitschy and poorly located (except if you are visiting Laval). Love the coloured light 70s piece in the front lobby. Rooms are more of a Motel type feel. Kids toys were lost in the shag carpet in our room. The price is low. For a single night in Quebec City where you will not be spending much time in the room, and where you have a car to get around, this place works. I gave it 5 stars mainly because of the kitsch factor, which I personally found to be endearing.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SugarSammy
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel.
We are indeed located right near Université Laval, where many sports competitions take place, which makes us the perfect hotel for sports lovers. As far as access to downtown Québec City, it is a ten-minute drive or a twenty-minute bus ride : very easy.
And you know what they say : kitsch is the new black!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us ; thank you and please do come back again, we would be delighted.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

*To be fair to the hotel, I went there in summer 2009, so I do not know how much of these issues still apply*

I stayed at Hotel Universel for business. When I arrived, I noticed right away that it looked a lot more like a Motel converted to a Hotel, at least from the outside and judging by the poorly placed parking on the side of the building.

We had reservations for 4 nights. I was given a room which had AC, but was clearly not functioning properly. I was then told that someone was working on the issue. I left the whole day for my work, came back early in the evening and noticed that the AC was still not functioning.
I then advised the front desk once again who told me to wait until the next morning for someone to fix it. The next day, I left for work again and when I came back, issue was still there. I was definitely not happy about it and complained again to the front desk, who moved me to another room, who also had the issue, and bad smells. I refused the room and got upgraded to a better room with a bigger LCD TV and a hot tub. Only then, did I started to enjoy my stay.
Unfortunately, not much of an apology was given by the staff, who didn't seem to care much about my problem.

My colleague did not have these issues and her room seemed to be in a better shape.

The main reason why I am giving this hotel a bad review is because had I not been upgraded to a better room, the standard room smelled bad, looked dirty and were not very welcoming. Also, the dispositions of the bed and desk were very strange, as they used the furniture to block another door that I had in my room, that connected to the neighbor's door.

In other words, unless you get a superior room at 170$/night, you might end up disappointed.

Hopefully, these issues have been reviewed in 2012, but I probably would not take the chance to go back. Get a room at Quartier hotel, or even better at Alt Hotel if you need to stay in Quebec city.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel.
It is a little bit hard for us try to find out what the problem was with your AC and your room, since you stayed here more than three years ago.
However, we appreciate your writing this review. Thank you again.