Hotel Universel Quebec
  • Breakfast included
$117
$93
$90
Delta Hotels Quebec(Quebec City)
$110
  • Pool
Le Champlain Hotel(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$81
$236
  • Restaurant
Chateau Fleur de Lys - L'HOTEL(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$109
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe pool spa areahot tubnice hotelnice poolsauna
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2012

*To be fair to the hotel, I went there in summer 2009, so I do not know how much of these issues still apply*

I stayed at Hotel Universel for business. When I arrived, I noticed right away that it looked a lot more like a Motel converted to a Hotel, at least from the outside and judging by the poorly placed parking on the side of the building.

We had reservations for 4 nights. I was given a room which had AC, but was clearly not functioning properly. I was then told that someone was working on the issue. I left the whole day for my work, came back early in the evening and noticed that the AC was still not functioning.
I then advised the front desk once again who told me to wait until the next morning for someone to fix it. The next day, I left for work again and when I came back, issue was still there. I was definitely not happy about it and complained again to the front desk, who moved me to another room, who also had the issue, and bad smells. I refused the room and got upgraded to a better room with a bigger LCD TV and a hot tub. Only then, did I started to enjoy my stay.
Unfortunately, not much of an apology was given by the staff, who didn't seem to care much about my problem.

My colleague did not have these issues and her room seemed to be in a better shape.

The main reason why I am giving this hotel a bad review is because had I not been upgraded to a better room, the standard room smelled bad, looked dirty and were not very welcoming. Also, the dispositions of the bed and desk were very strange, as they used the furniture to block another door that I had in my room, that connected to the neighbor's door.

In other words, unless you get a superior room at 170$/night, you might end up disappointed.

Hopefully, these issues have been reviewed in 2012, but I probably would not take the chance to go back. Get a room at Quartier hotel, or even better at Alt Hotel if you need to stay in Quebec city.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel.
It is a little bit hard for us try to find out what the problem was with your AC and your room, since you stayed here more than three years ago.
However, we appreciate your writing this review. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

As other reviewers have stated it is a bit far out, but the no7 bus is regular & 3 dollars one way is not OTT.
The bus takes you to the terminus and it is a short walk into the city.
TIP on your way into the city you walk past some excellent restaurants, these are the ones to eat in, they are better and cheaper.
The Greco attached restaurant is good value, but you will need to purchase your wine in the city or locally to take in.
The room was large and roomy with a large comfortable bed, very clean, towels and robes. Would have expected slippers for use of the pool, hot tub area.
Can be a bit noisy from the pool area, but the staff do keep it under control.

Room Tip: Chose the main building, but not overlooking the spa area if you want quiet up till 22.00hrs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.
Access to Old-Québec district is, as you wrote it, an easy 20-minute ride on bus 7, which you can catch right across the street.
We are glad you enjoyed your meal at Le Greco, which is indeed a Bring your own wine restaurant. The closest liquor store (SAQ) is a 10-minute walk from the hotel, but there is also a supermarket just five minutes from the hotel.
Our priority is to make sure or guests' needs are fulfilled, and we are always happy to hear about positive experiences like yours.
Thank you very much, we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

It is my third stay at the Hôtel Universel Québec. It is located close to the university and the students surroundings, and close to a few bars. Hôtel has a free parking.

Everytime I rented a king size standard bedroom and I was never disapointed. They are well decorated, beds are comfotable, and they have everything you need : hair dryer, iron and ironing board, coffee machine, flat screen tv, and lots of pilows. Rooms has air conditionning but it is very noisy. Floor is made of carpet but it seems clean.

This time, the bedroom I had was a little bit run down, but nothing serious - broken hangers, scratched desk and table. There was a stain or 2 on the comforter but I took it out, it's too warm this season to sleep with one anyway - the sheets were clean though. But they should clean and inspect the white comforters.

If you book online in advance you will likely get a cheap deal - around 89$ +tx but if you book last minute the room cost can go up to around 150$ to 200$.

The best thing is the pool area - the design of the atrium is awesome. There are lots of tropical plants and tropical birds, rocks with water coming out of it, a suspended-bed hanging from logs and ropes, a cold water cave, a hot thub, and a swimming pool. The jacuzzi-part of the pool was not working, and the sprays of the cold thub were not working either. They were not working the last 2 times I stayed here either. The pool area has it's own towels, but bring your night coat if you want one the bedrooms don't have any.

The staff at the front desk is friendly and helpfull.

Overall I had a plesant stay and will come back again.

Room tip : 3rd and 4th floors do have better rooms.

Strongly avoid : the Greco restaurant next to the hôtel. I will never go there again as the food was uncooked, the staff was rude and the place was noisy as hell - very, very unpleasant. Reed the whole review in "Brochetterie Chez Greco". Bring your own food or go in the Old Town to eat - restaurants are way better out there for a better price and it's only about 10 mins drive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Good day,

We thank you for your comment about our hotel. Comments help us improve our services and facilities.

We are happy to know you enjoyed all your stays with us. Of course, comforters should never have any stain: a follow up will be done about it.

About the pool area, in fact, the cold tub doesn't have any spray, there is only a fall; the hot tub has sprays. We are also really happy to know you enjoyed your experience in the nordic spa.

Thank for the comment about our staff, we will share your comment with all our employees.

Finally, please take note that we will switch restaurant in early 2013, but since then, we will do our best to make our guest's experience the best we can.

In hoping to welcome you again

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel, is an older hotel with lots of rooms. The people at reception are very friendly and helpful,service with a smile. There is a well set out, indoor pool and spa area, with a very popular Greek Restaurant attached. The hotel is not far from other restaurants and a good supermarket, it is still a long bus trip into town and "Old Quebec City", but you don't have to change buses, it's just the one trip.
Our room was quite comfortable, it had a good bathroom, with good water pressure, free wifi, TV and coffee making facilities, no fridge. However we did hear the plumbing from surrounding rooms, which woke us up in the morning and the ends of the beds, had brackets jutting out, which probably had bed ends screwed to them at some stage, but my wife and I hit our feet and shins on them several times.
The hotel was okay, but you need transport to get to any tourist destinations.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MitchMitch52
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello,

We thank you for your comments about our hotel. Comments are very important to us in order to improve our services and facilities.

We are happy to that you enjoyed your stay: the room, the spa area and the hotel's restaurant. It is true that we not down town, but as you said, it is really easy and fast to get there (one bus).

We hope you said your comment about the beds when you checked out, so we can fix the problem right away.

In hoping to welcome you again in our hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our room was remodeled but some are not so ask to see the room. Easy access to downtown on #7 bus every 15 minutes. Greek restaurant is 1/2 price on Monday. Staff is helpful. There is a hot tub and sauna near the lobby. Good and free wifi.

• Stayed: August 2012
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Good day,

We thank you for your comments about our hotel. Comments help us improve our services and facilities.

It is true that Old Quebec is easily accessible from our hotel even if the hotel is not directly down town. We are happy to know you enjoyed your room and the hotel's restaurant, just as the pool and spa area. Thank you for the comment about the staff, it is nice to know that they are always giving the best service they can.

In hoping to welcome you again.