“A bit icky”

Ranked #54 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Western New York
“A bit icky”
Reviewed July 25, 2009

First impression was sort of ok--nice parrot and bunnies in the lobby. But when we got to our room, it was very dark. We couldn't open our drapes either because it looked out to an outdoor exit door to a parking lot that it seemed people used for smoking breaks (they would be within inches of our window if they stood there). We soon discovered ants (not a gazillion, but more than 10) on the nightstand and floor next to the bed and our children very happily started to count them for us--we inquired about another room and were told there were none. I will admit that the the kids room with the bunk beds was cute enough--wood furniture with carved animals on them, but there was only a very large wall night light (nice feature for kids)--no other lamp was available in the room, so it really is only meant for sleeping and not even reading. After wondering how on earth I picked such a dive, I quickly remembered that I picked it b/c of the kids' amenities such as the playroom and pool.....well...the playroom is a bit on the icky side and a bit uninteresting--not even my kids wanted to play there (and my kids will play almost anywhere). The pool was a bit murky and on the 2nd night of our stay really smelled....someone's poopy diaper in the pool???? I don't know, but I have never smelled a chlorinated pool that smelled so gross or seen one that was so murky. As for the restaurant....food was mostly good, but beware if you have a food allergy. I tried asking the french speaking waitress about ingredients in menu items and she had no clue what I was asking about, so I picked something that I thought would be safe for me, but instead I ended up taking 2 Benadryl tablets to avert a serious reaction that I started having. An upside--hot showers with great water pressure to scrub all the ickies and creepy crawlies off of you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank purpleworms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2009

It won't be a long review, just let you know that I've stayed there 3 times while on business trip in Quebec, The hotel is really nice, prices good, put the rooms are kinda small comparing to the other rooms I've been in the past. Note that I'm a frequent traveler.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Montreal
Reviewed December 30, 2008

You need to know this hotel is thought for kids mainly. However, all characters that go around -like the clown, mickey mouse, donald duck, snow white, etc- are quite cheaply costumed. The swimming pool is crowded with families and kids and very noisy (almost impossible to tolerate when the band is playing). Nights are also noisy since not all families go to bed at the same time and you have kids having fun in the hallways. Cleanness is not the best, I thought (we stayed three days and saw two dirty towels in our room). They do have a problem with towels, so bring your own for the swimming pool. The restaurant is expensive for the quality of the food, and the personnel -at breakfast time- is quite busy and got our orders and bills confused more than once.
Yet our little one loved the hotel and didn't want to leave. Loved the swimming pool, mickey mouse, and snow white, the various game structures etc. Personnel is in general quite helpful and nice.
You just need to know where you are going.

• Liked — The family oriented atmosphere and the games for little kids.
  • Disliked — The amount of noise in the swimming pool! But it is a price to pay for the family oriented atmosphere :)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2008

This hotel was amazing. My friends and I stayed here a couple weekends ago for the weekend. The service was awesome, the food in the hotel restaurant was good but there were also many other restaurants close by like the baton rouge located basically across the street. i did not enjoy the pizza in the restaurant but other than that everything was great. Room service was quick which was nice.

This place is awesome for the kids.
-arts and crafts room
-games room
-little movie theater
-Tanning beds
-spa/massage

The pool was awesome, looked aweome with trees and balconys facing inwards to the pool.. The pool was also warm which was nice .. could spend long periods of time in there:) Lots of floaties and noodles

I also liked the idea of the movie theater. Except the movies playing at the time were all in french. I have not seen that before in a hotel so it was cool.

My room was clean, spacious and the beds were comfy.Tv was nice.. had both english and french channels.

Overall this experience was amazing. Deffenatly will come back next chance i will get! Loads of fuN!

• Liked — The Pool!!!!!!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lilTinyTraveler
Montréal
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Great place near great attractions.

Stayed August 2008
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We just came back from a short stay in Quebec City. This is the hotel that I found on the website for a very reasonable price per night. I knew it wasn't right in Quebec City but within a 10 to 15 minute drive, we were in "le vieux Quebec" (the reason for our stay). I figured it would be difficult to get a place this year with the 400 year anniversary going on so thought that this was great. When we got to the hotel we were very pleasantly surprised with the accommodation. For one thing, if you have allergies, then you'll love the fact that they use hardwood floors in the rooms. We were on the first floor but were not disturbed by people above us. The room looked newly renovated. Now it's not a high end hotel but I'd certainly rate it right up there with the newly built Holiday Inn Express'.
Things we didn't like, now don't laugh, but we actually found the water pressure in the shower too hard. I couldn't put my face into the shower spray. They could really benefit with something that would be more energy efficient.
Also, but it's a complaint I have about all hotels, is why do the air conditioners have to be so loud. I left the fan on all night so that I wouldn't here it coming on and off on the auto setting.
The other is that they could invest in some better towels.
Overall though we were very pleased with our stay. The rooms were very comfortable, very clean and quiet (other than the fan).

• Liked — Hardwood floors, cleanliness, the price
  • Disliked — Air conditioner fan, towels
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Travelled from Nova Scotia to Ontario for the Christmas Holidays and we found the overnight stop in Ste. Foy very welcoming! The hotel is not very far from the highway so it was easy to find and it was no problem getting back enroute to Ontario.

Our 6 and 3 year olds loved the indoor play area - Great pool, hot tub, splashpad and jungle gym. The main pool is warm and not that deep, but my 6 year old couldn't touch the bottom. There were lots of "noodles" and boats for the kids to use. The splashpad for the toddlers was okay - the water there was quite cold but I'm glad they had this as an alternative for younger siblings. The jungle gym is simple with a few slides and climbing pads. I think the kids loved just how high it went!

Our room was clean and spacious. We opted for a room with a kitchenette, but didn't use it as we found that the food in the restaurant was very good.

When booking be sure to check out their web deals since they offer prices for rooms well below the rates offered otherwise.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to families with children. It was a very nice stop amidst a long drive...

Stayed December 2007