“We got exactly what we wanted at a good price!”

Hotel Manoir des Remparts
Ranked #30 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The Manoir is extremely well located and parking is close and cheap on weekends. ($6.00 per day after 3 as of Fridays and $14.00 per day on week days) The free breakfast includes various cereals, toast of your choice of bread with a nice variety of jams, muffins, fresh croissants and fruit of the day. The coffee is good (though could be stonger), but for the price we paid for our stay we concidered this an excellent start to the day.

A great surprise when we arrived was the wonderful view from the 3rd floor balcony and a front row seat to the Moulin des Images just across the marina! We were up there everynight and loved the ambiance. There is also a second floor balcony which is private to the second floor rooms and offer the same view...but for a different price. The owners were also friendly, thoughtful and conciderate.

We originally booked two nights and chose to stay for one more. We were that comfortable there.

I will say this, however. It is not in every hotel you will find vaccum cleaners and tool boxes out in the open at all times on every floor (tucked into corners for the most part). And even if there is no air conditionning, we were pleasantly surprised that each room had a reliable and quiet fan.

The entire place feels like a work in progress and that made it very agreeable to us.

We have already booked our next stay there in September and hope the price stays as affordable.

P.s. Do go eat at Rabelais just on the top of the stairs leading to Petit-Champlain. Affordable and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Quebec101mr
There are newer reviews for Hotel Manoir des Remparts

Reviewed September 13, 2008

In my opinion, the only positive quality of the Manoir des Remparts is its location ; you can walk from there to most of Quebec City's historic sites.

The room we stayed in was simply dirty. The rug was stained and dusty, there were bugs in the room, and mould in the cupboard under the sink. The room didn't smell good either.

The breakfast is Ok, nothing to write home about, but satisfactory.

What annoyed me most about this place though, were the little comments that management leaves around the hotel. There is a sign in the dining room that says "Only take what you can eat." I'm 100 % against wasting food, but do you really have to hang such a sign for your customers to see ?

There's also a sign at the computer stating that customers can use the internet for 10 minutes maximum, and only to check their mail. There is also a warning sign at the reception desk explaining that you will be charged 10 $ if you check out 15 minutes after the official check-out time.

Finally, Manoir des Remparts manages to even charge you when dialing a 1-800 number from the room telephone.

Altogether a negative experience; I won't go back there.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Basil28
Reviewed September 2, 2008

The hotel location is perfect, within steps of the old town and within walking distance of most major attractions. Also, as our room faced theold port, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we could watch the 400th anniversary sound & light show from our window! The beds were also comfortable, although the room was quite small for the four of us (my husband and I and two young sons).

However, we were not impressed with the breakfast at all. In a city known for its good food, the hotel provided weak coffee, jam in a squeeze bottle and mediocre croissants! This is nothing like petit dejeuner should be. It was also inconvenient having no parking on site or nearby -- the closest parking was at the Seminaire.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank OttawaMother
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Where to start with the Hotel des Remparts?
On the bright side:
It's in a convenient, walking location to the old town and one of the more affordable options I've seen in Quebec City.

On the negative side:
I saw many, many things that needed fixing.

When we first got to the hotel (around 3pm) we were told that my room was clean but that my parents' room had not been cleaned yet. We were allowed to go up and deposit our bags and I noticed in my bathroom that there was used soap on the tub and the towels were crumpled and looked used. I reported it to the reception where they insisted the room had been cleaned but would send someone up to double check. When I saw the soap, I also noticed that the shampoo container seal was broken and I assumed it was used. When my bathroom was finally cleaned, the shampoo seal was still open and I discovered a tool box of shampoos in front of my door...and all had their seals broken, in my parents room too.

The windows are old, the wood and paint are chipped, and the wooden frames have gaps that let lots of wind get in. I don't know if this hotel operates in winter but the wind was whistling in and it was fairly chilly in June.

The carpets in the rooms were dirty and stained and the entire place smelled. The lobby stank so badly my mom and grandmother didn't even want to wait inside until my dad brought the car around.

As for the included breakfast, it is served in a small room at the back of the hotel with no windows and poor lighting. Breakfast itself was shipped directly from Costco (croissants and muffins in their cases). Jam was served in plastic squeeze tubes most commonly used as ketchup and mustard containers.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank WestIslander9
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel because all other hotels within the Old Quebec were booked besides this one and we were lured by the reasonable price.

Overall, we were not disappointed. The owner was very friendly and greeted us every time she saw us. The room was frugal and spare but it was clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Don't think I have had such a good night's sleep in a long time We had a charming view of the river and were very fortunate to get that on such short notice. (2 days before we arrived).

The price included an "all you can eat" style continental breakfast which was just enough for our needs.

At one point, frustrated by problems with using my phone card, the owner even sold me one of her own personal phone cards just so I could make a much needed call. She didn't have to do that, but they seem to be a very hospitable family and make extra efforts to make their guests comfortable and happy. It was quite impressive.

My only complaint was that the last day we were there, they failed to clean our room and leave us spare towels, but when the owner found out about it, she was quite apologetic and offered to do it right then. Hey, you can't be perfect all of the time.

Anyway, I think that was a fluke, because otherwise, we were very pleased with the overall experience and would highly reccomend this to anyone for the price. You can't beat it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travelyweary
Reviewed May 26, 2008

My wife, 20 year old daughter and I stayed for 4 nights at this small hotel on the old city wall of Quebec City. The location is wonderful; all of the upper and lower town attractions, shopping and restrauants are within an easy walk. There is a lovely cafe (Le Cafe De La Soiel) at the foot of the wall just a few blocks distant and the antique district on Rue St. Paul is just there as well. Additionally there is a bench between two cannons dating from 1812 just across the road with a lovely view of the St. Lawrence river and the Isle d'Orleans. It should be a wonderful place to stay and it could be; just now it has a desperate problem with owners who are not keeping up a wonderful facility. They are friendly and charming, speaking both fluent english and French, but they do not have "an eye" for cleaning. My daughter who's own housekeeping is often less than I would hope for was the harshest critic! The carpets are stained and worn, the paint chipped and poorly applied and the cleaning of rooms sketchy at best. In addition the breakfast offered was poor by most standards, but in a community that values good food as much as this one, it was almost tragic. The rates were no less than the other small hotels in Quebec City, and it was rated with 2 stars. I would not stay at the Manior de Ramparts again, but I will stay in the small hotels of Quebec City; it is a wonderful place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We requested a room with a river view which is what we got. For the price, including complimentary breakfast, this Hotel is clean and located close to everything. The room was small and quiet even though we were on the first floor at the front and there appeared to be no noise from adjoining rooms. Bed was clean and comfortable. Staff are friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lexicon828