“Charming Hotel in centre of action”
Review of Au Petit Hotel

Au Petit Hotel
Ranked #19 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Au Petit Hotel was a very pleasant suprise. As a start to our 2 week east coast tour, we wanted a reasonably priced hotel inside the walls of old Quebec City.
The hotel was easy to find in the middle of all the activity, but just off the main road in front of the gated convent entrance.
The rooms are cozy, clean, with a very comfortable bed, a small table and 2 chairs and TV. Free wireless internet is provided and the $2.50 breakfast deal is the best. They deliver the breakfast at exactly the time you requested. You receive coffee or tea, juice, fresh warm croissant and toast.
We would definitely return to this hotel and are already considering coming for the Winter Carnival.
This hotel is highly recommended to anyone who loves great value and wants to enjoy the city from a great location and doesn't mind some stairs

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LizWaterloo
There are newer reviews for Au Petit Hotel

Reviewed August 30, 2009

The room was absolutelly clean and the furniture was OK. The private bathroom was great. The hotel does not have a dining room, but you get the breakfast served in the room. Although the staff did not speak very good english or french (neither do I), the communication was good and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ALAISU
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I've been going to this hotel since 2003, sometimes with my wife, sometimes with my wife and kids. It seems to be a converted old rooming house with about nine rooms on three floors. The good points are that the rooms are quiet, that the hotel is located on a cul-de-sac inside the Quebec walls (old Quebec) and that it's a short walk to the old Quebec shops and sights. The price is reasonable considering the location but some people will be disappointed because the rooms are very basic (some would say drab, but I've stayed in several of the rooms, and I would say two are drab and four are pleasing although simple and one is charming ... in any case, the rooms are not 'elegant'). Two cautions: There is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags up one, two or three stories and there is no air conditioning, so be prepared to turn on the fan and open a window.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Quebec-visitor
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Le Petit Hotel is quiet, clean and friendly with a great location in the old part of the city, inside the wall... easy walk to everywhere: restaurants, cafes, shops, sights! I attended an academic conference in November and didn't want to pay the absurd price for an impersonal chain hotel. My room had a double bed w/ firm mattress, shower, small tv and writing desk and a window with a lovely view. It was well heated. The staff speak French and English. I recommend it highly though in busier seasons the rooms might be a bit noisy since it's an old house.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank nancy c
Reviewed October 21, 2008

This was my third time at the Petit Hotel, and I would come back anytime. The location is amazing, right within the walled city, and within easy walking distance to everything you want to see. It is also very clean and reasonably priced, and I like the feel of staying in this small, nicely decorated hotel.

This time we stayed in a room on the ground floor (room 30), which you got to through a little door from the parking lot of the hotel. It was a very nice room, with a new and very clean bathroom with a shower and toilet. The sink was in the room, which was very practical to get ready in the morning. There was also a TV in the room, a hair dryer, and an AC (for summer), and they now also have wireless internet, but I did not use it, so I don't know if it's free or if you have to pay. If you have a room in the main part of the hotel (as I did last time), you need to know that the door downstairs is locked after 2 am, and you have to climb some stairs to get to your room. No problem for most people, but if you don't like stairs or want to come home extra late, ask for a room in one of the two other parts of the hotel with outside ground level access and/or your own key.

The bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast that they offer in your room for $2.50 p.P. is a good deal for a basic, tasty breakfast: You get coffee/tea, orange juice, a nice croissant, one piece of toast, some fruit, jam, and butter, all on a little table in your room. Parking is available at the hotel (about $10/day extra). The staff was nice at the check in, but since we did not have to go through the main part of the hotel we did not interact much with them after that.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank ArcticMontreal
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Au Petit Hotel for 4 nights in late July. Overall our stay there was good. I had read previous reviews so I was expecting the worst! but Au Petit Hotel exceeded our expectations. Yes the rooms are older, and quite basic, but they are clean and have everything you need. We had a room with our own bathroom, and the bathroom was quite new. Also, for the price I thought it was excellent, everything else I looked at was quite a bit more expensive. They also had free wireless internet! We found the front desk staff helpful and friendly, and nothing went wrong with our room, parking etc. So yes, you can expect it to be basic, and the hotel is old, but it is quite acceptable overall, and a fantastic location! Right inside the walled city.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank VancouverKiwi76
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Stayed here in 2006 & returned in May 2008. I agree 100% with the prior review by "David-Sydney_Aust" in that you get a comfortable place to stay in a perfect location (within the walled city). Both times I have stayed in the main building, which does indeed have a circular staircase to navigate. I can see where a rare traveler would have difficulty.

This time we had room 24, on the third floor. One bed, cable TV, & the bathroom seemed to have been recently remodeled. The room is smaller than typical hotel rooms, but for me that is not an issue. My wife & I were comfortable. The ladies who ran the place were always pleasant & we enjoyed conversing with them. Each day we would walk around the corner & discover a new place for breakfast.

Again, this is a no-frills hotel. Yes, the carpet is old. No, there is no hair dryer in the room. No, there is no extravagant lobby, business center, or internet access. As long as you understand these points, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple