“Pleasant surprise, would go back”

Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville
Ranked #37 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked through Priceline and were initially disappointed when we got this hotel due to the mixed reviews and apparent distance from the main tourist attractions. Like other reviewers, the outside appearance did little to change our minds as we drove up. However, we ended up enjoying our stay very much.

PROS: Awesome service. Front desk staff at check in, upon learning it was our first trip to Quebec, immediately provided a map and some great suggestions on how to spend our first evening without our even having to ask. We also received a room upgrade to an "executive" room, which I think mostly meant we had a giant shower, but this was a pleasant surprise considering many hotels' tendency to give Priceline customers the less desirable rooms. Valet service was always quick even when it looked very busy. Room was immaculate, which is always my primary concern.

Though some of the surrounding streets were a bit deserted, others were quite nice and we liked being a bit away from the throngs of tourists in the Old City. A nearby cafe, the Brulerie St. Roch, was a great spot for a yummy coffee and pain au chocolat to start the day.

CONS: 10-15 minute walk to the major tourist attractions up some serious hills and stairs. We are active so didn't mind the walk in and of itself, but it was a deterrent to going back to the hotel during the day. As long as you plan to be out and about and not spend a lot of time in the room, not a deal breaker. Parking seemed a bit expensive at $22/day. Room decor was a little drab, not exactly romantic, but about what you expect from a Best Western.

Bottom line - we'd go back. Recommended if you're looking for a comfortable, friendly, and reasonably priced "home base" from which to explore Quebec, and don't mind doing some walking or venturing outside the main touristy areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Genevieve_Hebert, General Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them. I am passing on your comments, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts. It is always gratifying to know that our performance was effective and appreciated.. I am glad you enjoyed our Executive rooms with all its exclusive amenities and private location in the hotel. And you are right; the Old Quebec district is located in the upper part of the city. Travelers have to go up the hill to get to this part of the City from the hotel. According to Google Maps, there is actually 1.2 km (0.75 miles) that separates our property from the entrance of the Old City. Depending on traveler’s skills, we always tell our guests that we are located 15 minutes by walk from the Old City as it is uphill to go. And then, to come back, it is about 10 minutes as you go down the hill. Your cab suggestion is very appropriate. Sharing a cab from the hotel to the entrance of the Old Quebec is about 10$. Public transportation is also a great option. Busses pass right beside our hotel so it is easily accessible. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville

Reviewed August 12, 2013

stayed here on the last leg of a very long trip. As reviewers before have said it looked a little "sketchy" driving up to it...when I went to check in it was beautiful. Very courteous front desk with a good grasp on english (always helps). Very helpful on where to eat what was going on. Since I was a BW member they gave me a $10 voucher for the bar which came in handy. Our room was 495 a King business room in a card access area only. We were at a cottage for the week so we were looking to clean up and this room made it easy! A 6' X 6' stand up shower with the rain shower head!! Hopefully the rest of the hotel had hot water as my wife daughter then I had the longest showers. Room service was in order and we had steak and lasagna. All were fantastic. Only downside was they automatically put a 15% tip on room service on top of a $4 charge for room service. For us that was an additional $15 on top of our food. Valet was good. A little nervous about where my vehicle was parked (again "sketchy" neighbourhood) but it was ready in 5 minutes after the call. Coffe/Wine bar downstairs had great selection and staff was pleasant.Would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: try to get on business class floor, great showers and large rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Bonjour!

Thank you for your cooperation in taking the time to post your comments following your visit to the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. Actually, room 495 is one of our Executive rooms. It indeed provides an extra-large deluxe glass shower with both telephone and umbrella knobs. Don’t worry about hot water! We are equipped with a high efficiency boiler that can provide hot water on demand to provide more than 177 showers simultaneously. Since the installation of that boiler, we never ran out of hot water at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the tasty food of our restaurant Bistro Le 330, even in the comfort of your room! The mandatory 4$ flat charge for room service has been set by the restaurant management for the main reason that instead of offering a limited menu with inflated prices for room service, we have the entire menu deliverable to room, at the same price as if you would order in the dining room. There is a clear indication on the menu that this delivery charge is applicable for room service. And as for the automatically added 15% gratuities, it is not mandatory. It has been set because in many countries we welcome guests from, meal prices include taxes and gratuities. Then, to avoid any confusion, the waiter includes gratuities automatically. Otherwise, we believe it is not fair for the waiter that make all the efforts to provide courteous and prompt service from the dining room to guests rooms, which is even more demanding than regular service. Besides, if you are not 100% satisfied with the service provided by your waiter, there is absolutely no problem to modify the bill to decrease the amount of tip, accordingly to your satisfaction. Following your comments, it has been decided that it will also clearly be indicated on our next restaurant menu so no other guests will be surprised. It is with comments such as yours that we are able to continually improve our services and I sincerely thank you for your contribution. Finally, we hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City on you next visit. We look forward to it!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I suffered some trepidation pulling up to the hotel. It doesn't appear to be a very upscale neighborhood and the entrance is very unpretentious. However starting with our very large bell man who was very friendly and spoke more than adequate English and carrying over to the rest of the staff, we could not have asked for friendlier more accommodating folks. The continental breakfast was delivered promptly to the room, was hot and overwhelming in quantity and quality. The breakfast at the cafe was equally above average. Even the coffee shop was good and their macaroon was superb! We were on the ground floor on an outside room and it was not noisy. The room was adequate, not special or overly large but clean. Overall a good experience.

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them. I am glad that your initial apprehensions where quickly counteracted by the warm welcome you got from our dedicated valet and front desk staffs and finally had an “overall good experience”. I am also happy to read that you took advantage of our onsite restaurant and coffee shop. Both provide great options for breakfast with delicious food and excellent service. Next time, try our Bistro Le 330 at night! Our new restaurant has a chic and trendy decor, a relaxed atmosphere, an attentive service and serves Americanized comfort food with a few intrusions of classic French bistro items. And indeed it is always a pleasure for our dedicated staff to warmly welcome our guests, suggest activities to do, sites to see, etc. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Quebec City!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is a very clean hotel. The staff at the front desk are very helpful with anything you need. The hotel is about a 15 min walk from old Quebec City BUT all up hill.... I am a walker and I sometimes found it a challenge. Other then the hills it is a nice hotel. Very small pool, hot tub is murky but rooms are nice and clean.

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post it. It is a true a pleasure to read that you noticed the passion that animates our staff. When working in service like we do, recognition is as important as the salary! I am also happy you noticed the cleanliness of our property. We understand the importance of a clean and well-maintained hotel has become the number one priority for guests. Concerning the fact that it is up hill to reach the Old City, we often suggest to our guests to take the bus to go (3$/person) or share a taxi cab (about 10$) to reach the entrance of the Old City which is on top of the hill, walk around and come back by walk down the hill. Or even purchase a daily pass for one or two days with unlimited access to public transportation at respectively 7.25$ or 13$ per person if you want to use the bus for multiple commutes. To conclude, it was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec for your next stop in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel is nice, but it is a good hike to Old Quebec, not so much the distance as the up hill all the way. Recommend if you enjoy walking otherwise take a cab to Old Quebec. The hotel did offer a cafe and a restaurant but we spent most of our time in Old Quebec. We had a room with the deluxe shower and it was very nice. City centre would not be my preference on a return trip.

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure that we use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I am glad you enjoyed our Executive rooms with all its exclusive amenities and private location in the hotel. And you are right; the Old Quebec district is located in the upper part of the city. Travelers have to go up the hill to get to this part of the City from the hotel. According to Google Maps, there is actually 1.2 km (0.75 miles) that separates our property from the entrance of the Old City. Depending on traveler’s skills, we always tell our guests that we are located 15 minutes by walk from the Old City as it is uphill to go. And then, to come back, it is about 10 minutes as you go down the hill. Your cab suggestion is very appropriate. Sharing a cab from the hotel to the entrance of the Old Quebec is about 10$. Public transportation is also a great cheap option. Busses pass right beside our hotel so it is easily accessible. Once more, thank you for your contribution. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Being a Priceline customer for more than 10 years now, I know what to expect for the star level that I selected in my purchase. Definetely this BW is not a 3 star level hotel ( 2 would be more appropriate). Hotel is located in the outskirts of the old city centre, a good 35/40 minutes walk, in a not so safe area ( expect to pass dark areas with drug dealers if walking at night). Rooms destinated to Priceline customers smell mold, have clogged tubs and noisy air conditioners. After staying in one room in these conditions for the first night , I complained and was moved to a room in their "business level" ( read renovated rooms) for the other night. It was a bit better, no smell, no cloggs, a bit better ammenities. I would not return nor recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: business level ( 4) has better rooms...just dont pay any extra for them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank minimini

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them on tripadvisor and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. I am disappointed we failed to live up to your expectations. In fact, according to the Quebec Tourism Office, we are classified a 4 star hotel. And according to the CAA /AAA associations, we are classified 3 diamonds, which is why priceline quotes our property 3 stars. I would also like to specify that Quebec City is one of the safest cities in Canada. There is absolutely no danger wandering in the hotel’s suburb, neither when walking the 15 minutes from our property to the Old City. Regarding the fact that you booked through priceline, I would like to explain a little bit more. Hotels all around the world use opaque third party web sites such as Priceline or Hotwire to sell rooms that would go unsold otherwise. We do the same. I can guarantee you that there aren’t any specific rooms designated for priceline customers. We are sorry to read that the room you first occupied had a problem with the air conditioner which may have caused the mold smell (humidity), as well as the clogged tub. This was an isolated problem and I can assure you that it doesn’t have nothing to do with the fact you booked with priceline. Our maintenance staffs have fixed these as soon as you advised the Front Desk. Besides, our Business Class and Executive rooms can be reserved via the Best Western International official web site, or by calling the property directly for a small extra charge. Otherwise, we may upgrade some of our guests that reserved in advance in these upscale rooms. But in a sold out situation like we are often in the high season, it is unfortunately not always possible and guests who reserved through opaque web sites are most likely to be designated our traditional rooms. The hotel Management will always try to go the extra mile to make sure we meet and exceed our guest expectations. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable one.

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Overall, our stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre was okay - nothing more. The rooms are large and comfortable however the mattress was not to my personal taste. The location is good: it is a 15-minute walk to the old Quebec but it is always nice to walk in the streets of Quebec City.

The main downfall for me was the cleanliness of the room. The carpets and bath were dirty which grossed me out. Also, the TV took about 5 minutes to power on every time, the pool was small and they did not fill the products in the bathroom everyday even if they were all used.

For more comfort, the hotel should offer complimentary bathrobes (you currently have to pay to have one) and mini refrigerator in every room.

• Stayed: July 2013
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them. I am sincerely sorry that the housekeeping didn’t live up to your expectations. Please accept my apologies. I can assure you that every effort is maintained by the hotel staff to provide exceptional, friendly and courteous service. Cleanliness is our priority, equal with service, so when a breakdown occurs, as in your situation, we are very concerned. Be assured that your comments were transmitted to the Housekeeping Manager for a follow up. Concerning your suggestion, bathrobes and mini-fridge are actually available in business class and executive room for free. These rooms can be booked by calling the hotel directly or online on the official Best Western International website, upon availability of course. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will still stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City. I promise we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. Best regards.