“disappointed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sherbrooke, Canada
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am very disappointed by this hotel. I am currently staying in the hotel, but and upset enough to take time to write the review while still on vacation. The hotel is nice enough, clean and meets all standard requirements, but the service is awful.
When I booked the hotel (on expedia and over a month ago), I called right away to request joining rooms. We are traveling with 4 children, my 2 kids and 2 friends. I was told over the phone that there was no problem, that the note had been made and that I would have 2 rooms that were joining.
When we arrived it was a different story. We had rooms next to each other, but not joining. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is very inconvenient and my husband and I have to split up so we are each in a room with the kids. Not at all what we had planned for. On top of this, the man at the desk was so rude and dismissive that I will never come back here. He asked if I had paid the guarantee fee of $10. I told him that I had never heard of this but would have. He simply replied "oh well, nothing I can do, my colleague made a mistake" then handed my my room keys and said "next"!!
Later than night, I went ask about getting a taxi for my family and he wrote down a number for me and again was dismissive. I asked if he could call for me, as I am not from Quebec and he directed me to a pay phone by the door. I then saw special taxi phones and asked if I could use that, and his reply was a shrug "I guess." I know this is not a 5 star place, but you would think we could expect a little more. He left me frustrated enough that on our return later that night, I refused to stop at the front desk to ask the questions we had for today.
If I had not already paid for the room and it was non-refundable, I would have left the hotel after my first interaction with the front desk. Luckily we are only here to sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank toadstool74
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre. Please accept our apologies if one of our staff members came across in an unprofessional manner while handling your concerns on your connecting room request. I can assure you that every effort is maintained by the hotel staff to provide exceptional, friendly and courteous service. So when a breakdown occurs, as in your situation, we are very concerned. I would be pleased to discuss further on the cause of your disappointment shall you contact me directly at ghebert@hotelquebec.com.

In fact, we only have a few connecting room options. Therefore, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that type of request. The lodging management always tries their best to fulfill all guests’ requests but, sometimes, it is not possible. This being said, the lack of sympathy and diligence you experienced from this Front Desk Clerk is unacceptable and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies. I am disappointed that we failed to give you the fine service and consideration we strive for with all our guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. It is through comments such as yours that we are improving and will carry out the necessary measures to ensure that the problem you experienced never happens again. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City. I promise we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Korean first
Sainte-Julie, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Everything about this hotel is great and the price still leaves me speechless.

I came here with a friend and had 3 big dogs with me, it was my first hotel experience with dogs. It cost me 15$ extra per day to have 3 big dogs in the room with me. What seem to be an issue to me at first became a amusing situation with Best Western. They gave my dogs a big box of food and treats, gave us a map with all the dog parks around as well as emergency numbers for them if needed.... i mean, they were soooo caring and helpful, so attentive to every single need I could have.

Not only that, while I left my room to go to a concert, the dogs barked and we got many complaints... the next morning they calmly explained the situation to us and just asked for a cell phone number so we can be reached if such thing happen again. No drama; all they cared about was finding solutions to make all customer happy.

The lobby is wonderful, beds feel like clouds, bathrooms have all the feature a girl need....the valet service is efficient....and the spa and pool area, oh my god; the walls and sealing are covered of nature painting, mountains and a beautiful sky.... I went there there was no one... it was so relaxing!

Parking was a bit expensive, 20$ per day you stay. But I realized that in this area parking is very hard to find and also expensive... so you pay the price but you have a peace of mind.

Try their coffee shop downstairs. It's retro and pretty...and again....the service; I've rarely seen someone serving coffee with that much passion lol!

Really, if good customer service matters to you, this is the place to go.

S & K

Room Tip: As rates are very cheap for what you get I suggest you pay the extra 4 dollars for coffee machine in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Bonjour!
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post such a great and positive review. It is a true a pleasure to read that you notice the passion that animates our staff. When working in service like we do, recognition is as important as the salary! Also, as a Pet Friendly Hotel, we are glad that you enjoyed our doggie welcome kit that includes a bottle of water, a bag of kibble food, a biodegradable serving dish, some waste pick-up bags and baked cookie treats! For the benefit of tripadvisor readers, I would like to precise that we accept pet weighing less than 80 pounds / 36 Kilos (excluding exotic animals). There are fees of $15 per night, a maximum of $ 90 per week for cleaning purpose, except service dog, they stay free. And normally, there is a maximum of 2 pets per room. As a pet owner, we consider guests traveling with pet as fully responsible for their pet's behavior. After check-out, we deeply clean the room and shampoo the carpet to refrain allergies. To conclude, it was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec for your next stop in Québec City. We look forward to it!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Friendly staff, clean rooms, and exactly what I needed for a quick one day business stop over. Walking distance to most places of interest. Good value. My room faced Couronne and was very quiet. Breakfast was on time, delicious and I was able to get a taxi quickly and walk to a nice dinner destination.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Bonjour!
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments concerning your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Center. Your feedback is very much appreciated! I am glad that you appreciated our staff, our cleanliness, our food and our good value for a business trip. It is true that we have the chance of being located in a neighborhood offering a great choice of restaurants. Most culinary styles can easily be found in the Nouvo St-Roch area and since we are not located in the Old Quebec, a lot of them are very affordable. It will always be a pleasure for our front desk clerks to suggest a restaurant that suit your needs, likes and budget. Again, we appreciate your patronage and we will be pleased to have you stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable one. Best regards.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife, baby, and I stopped by for a night on our way across Quebec. We stayed in an executive suite and were blown away by this hotel! There's free (and fast) wi-fi and the rooms are immaculate. The pool is warm and there's a hot tub, as well as a small but decent exercise room. The staff are courteous and helpful and bilingual. There are numerous places to get a very nice meal around although many of them seemed overly pricey. We ordered room service and had a delicious meal brought up. The mattress was perfect and the room was amazing. Overall the place was fantastic. Things I didn't like were few and included the $20 per night for parking but when space is at a premium I could at least understand it. I would absolutely stay here again! This was my second-best stay at a Best Western ever.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dullege
BWCV-Manager, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post your 5/5 review! Quebec City parking situation is very similar to what is happening in downtown of most of the large cities: there is more demand than parking spaces available. To accommodate our guests, we got as many spaces as possible in the surroundings some of which are located 10 minutes walking from the hotel. Valet service is available for 20.00$ per car, per night, plus taxes and your vehicle will be delivered next to the main entrance of the hotel within 15 minutes. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Two things I didn't like: the price of the parking and the cleanliness of the swimming pool.
But if I'll visit Quebec city again, I will definitely consider to stay in the same hotel.

It would be nice though to have the two points above improved.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank MTU_MTU
Bonjour, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to share and post your comments. We use feedback from our guests to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Thank you to bring our attention regarding the pool issue, your comments was transmitted to our Maintenance Director.Quebec City parking situation is very similar to what is happening in downtown of most of the large cities: there is more demand than parking spaces available. To accommodate our guests, we got as many spaces as possible in the surroundings some of which are located 10 minutes walking from the hotel. Valet service is available for 20.00$ per car, per night, plus taxes and your vehicle will be delivered next to the main entrance of the hotel within 15 minutes.It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and I am sincerely happy to know that you will visit us again with your family the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed 2 days for a lover's week-end booked via Hotwire at a more than reasonable price.
Upon arrival i asked for a room on the upper floor and or corner room and was offered to upgrade for a ''Plus'' room for only 10$ a night, very happy i was.
It was a spacious room, clean and exactly what i was expected.

Pros :

- Staff very competent and nice
- Great location, rue St-Joseph is just around the corner and 1km from Old Québec
- Very reasonable prices
- Clean rooms
- Keurig's coffee machine, big LCD TV, small fridge in the ''Plus'' rooms, good pressure and hot water in shower

Cons :

- In the morning there were loud ''bang'' noises as if we were under the gym, but we never knew what it was (neither did the staff)
- Small windows (and frozen in winter)
- The view from the room on the ''De la Couronne'' corner street is more than ordinary, even on the 5th of 6 floors.

I would have given 4 stars in this review but the noise in the morning disturbed me enough so that i don't think that i will go back soon.
Maybe i was very badlucky and the noise is not always present. I have to mention that i am very picky about silent rooms in hotels, so i would still recommend anyone i know to try it out.

A definitive go for budget minded travelers that are looking for cleanliness and good location in Québec city, and are not waiting for more than a standard hotel room.

Room Tip: Ask for the ''surclassement'', giving you a ''Plus'' room for only 1...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments concerning your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Center. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to always improve ourselves and create enjoyable experiences for each of our guests. It is always a pleasure four our front desk clerks to mark down our clients preferences concerning the bedding preference when calling directly at the hotel. We will always do our best to meet the demands of our guests, accordingly to the hotel availability. Again, thank you for your review. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western City Plus Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City.
Port-Daniel, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel.
When we went to check in right around 3:00, we were informed that our assigned room was not ready yet and were asked to wait about 15 minutes and check back with them (this was being asked of others as well). After about 10 minutes a receptionist called us over and informed us that our room was still not ready, but would give us another room and given that we had to wait would give us a room in a quiet section of the hotel (accessible only by key card). This suited us both well as we were tired.

The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. Given the room was in a locked section of the hotel it was very quiet. During my previous stay it was a bit louder given the room overlooked the restaurant.

The bathroom had a very large shower.

The spa and pool look much larger and nicer in the photos that the hotel provides. The pool is quite small compared to other hotels - as is the spa. Apart from some obnoxious people there that night - the pool and spa were still enjoyable.

Although the hotel lists parking - note that there is only valet parking available. From walking around a bit and seeing the hotel valet people, it seems that they park the cars wherever they can find a spot. There is indoor parking right across the street, but you must be out by 7 AM.

I do look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonjour, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to share and post your comments. We use feedback from our guests to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We provide traditional rooms, business class rooms and executive rooms. When staying in a business class room, you are guaranteed to be on a higher floor and be provided with a mini-fridge, a Keurig coffee maker, bathrobes and deluxe amenities as well. If you are looking for more luxury, an executive room is for you. These rooms are in a private section of the hotel and offer the same benefits as the business class but the main advantage is the large deluxe glass shower with rain shower head instead of the regular bath with shower. Our heated indoor pool (25 feet long by 16 feet wide and 1.1 meters to 1.2 meters deep) it is surrounded in a hand painted decor of landscapes representing the Quebec region. It is open every day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Valet service is available for 20.00$ per car, per night, plus taxes and your vehicle will be delivered next to the main entrance of the hotel within 15 minutes.