“Just too many things wrong here!”

Hotel Motel Bonaparte
Ranked #72 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I was looking for a budget place to put my head down for one night and from the reviews this place looked good. Check-in was fine with a friendly lady on reception. From there things went south.
The room was really small with no desk. I found hair in the bath. The bed felt a bit worn out, but the linen was good quality. Lighting was dim. The TV is an old fashioned creature with a remote control that works on volume and nothing else! Choose your channel, get into bed, and hope the program doesn't change too soon!
I could not get the AC to cool. Firstly the rotary switch was broken so I had to remove the outer and turn the shaft by hand. Thank goodness for multitools! Even then, it was obvious the unit needed re-gassing as it was just recirculating warm air. I had to sleep with the window wide open! It faced directly onto the outside walkway. A passerby could just have climbed straight in!
The curtains couldn't close properly. Fortunately I had some bulldog clips on a report I was working on so I used those to keep the 3 curtain drops together. There are no stops on the end of the rail either, so I pulled them right off the rail first time I tried!
What a palaver overall. Really too much hassle for a paying guest to endure.
PS: The restaurant looked quite appealing, by I did not try it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank GwilymHowes

Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was one of the best overnight stays in Quebec City I have had. Welcoming arrival by the front desk manager and easy check-in. When we arrived in our room it was really nice, good size room and good size bathroom. Very clean room, fridge,microwave good size flat screen tv. After settling into the room we decided to have dinner at the restaurant in the Motel. This was a neat surprise as the service and food were outstanding. Michel was our waiter and he was really good at customer service, made suggestions about the food on the menu. The food was very good and we had a real good time chatting with Michel about how happy we were with his service and the hotel room. We left the next morning as it was just for one night and I would recommend this motel to everyone, family and friends. And..... the beds were very good and a great nights sleep. I will definitely come back to stay at this motel!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NewMountainBike
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I work in Quebec City 4 days per month and I always make sure to book at the Bonaparte. I tried a couple of different motels in the area before discovering this one and I haven't changed since. The 3 things I look for when traveling for work is good pricing, cleanliness and good service.
First of all the service is GREAT, I'm always greeted with a smile by the friendly Manon at front desk. She greets me by name and always works to find me exactly what I need, I was very happy to discover she is back after a short leave. Other staff always greet me and smile, which is always important to feel right at home.
The price for the value is one of the best in Quebec City, it is a lot cheaper than if you go downtown, but a much better quality than other motels on Hamel street.
As for cleanliness, I've never had any issues or negative experiences there.
I recommand it if you are traveling on a budget, but still enjoy quality and comfort.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin D
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Clean and tidy place with fridg and microwave at 5min. from downtown and near the bridge. They have a verygood restaurant and causy lounge bar. This is a very good place to stay. By the way, don't forget to say hello to Raymond from Marcel And Antonine.

Room Tip: Hotel side are better but they are planing to renovate in the futur near by.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The second floor of the Hotel part of the Bonaparte has spacious rooms with everything you need to be comfortable including microwave, refrigerator, gym, comfortable bed, desk. Everything was in new condition and very clean. It was a economical location to spend 2 nights visiting Quebec including the Old Quebec City, and side trips to Montmorency Falls and Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre Cathedral. We went to the hotel bar/restaurant the first night per the recommendation of the front desk staff. The food was good and service great, but it was a little on the pricey side for a casual dinner (2 hamburgers with no drinks for $35 including tax and tip). If you visit the Quebec Old City, the cheapest and centrally located place to park is under the City Hall (entrance is on a corner behind the city hall and you have to go down to enter).

Room Tip: Second floor in the hotel section has great rooms and is quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manon D, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Motel Bonaparte, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this review. We are very happy to find out you appreciated your stay among us.
We indeed try to offer good lodging at a low price, and we are glad you were satisfied with your room

Reviewed September 11, 2013

It was like any other Motel, nothing special.
Bathrooms were too small and the faucets made loud noises. the weird thing of all is that the sinks are in the room and not in the bathroom.
Other than that, the rooms were decent size and we only stayed one night, so cant complain much

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

They call it "hotel-motel" and it is true. It is small but they have very good amenities: spacious rooms, full bathroom, microwave, mini-fridge, iron with ironing board, closet as well as a bar and gym. Everything in the room was working perfectly and the decor is nice as well. The service is prompt and polite.
It is located very close to major highways, however, rather far from downtown Quebec and there's nothing to see in the neighbourhood. So if you are there on business or just going through the city on your way somewhere, it is a really nice place to stay and would suit even a more demanding traveller.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family