During the first weeks of September we went on a Eastern Canada trip that started at Niagara Falls and ended in Montreal. Of all the places we visited Quebec City was the most beautiful and pleasurable city and The Auberge Saint-Pierre the most memorable (in a positive way) and pleasant hotel.
The historical old city location, coupled with the exposed brick finish in our room just knocked us out. We checked in very late, but the front desk clerk made us feel very welcome and quickly took care of our vehicle parking. The hotel sits next to a very narrow cobblestone street, and unloading must be done very quickly.
The feel of the area is authentically french, except for the arrogant french attitude I found so often in Paris, Biarritz and Lourdes. If you have never been to France, Quebec will do nicely and make you feel welcome. English is spoken by all those I came in contact, as well as (this really took me aback) Spanish in various shoppes. Need to practice some french? Do it here without the dismissive roll of the eyes you would get from a Paris Seine river book vendor.
This hotel has an elevator! You may not think much of this, but many hotels we checked previously in Old Quebec, don't have one. Think of this before you book in a hotel where you must carry your luggage thru many flight of stairs. Not only does it have an elevator, but a vintage one (Most likely early 1900's) with intricate grille work, but re-fitted with modern electrics and controls!
The location is nothing but fantastic! Just a few steps from the hotel are Place Royale founded by Quebec's founder -Monsieour Samuel de Champlain-, whose name also adorns the oldest continuously used commercial streets in North America: "Le Petit Champlain" street. Château Frontenac, an awesome building, is but a few steps away taking the inclined tram close by. In all my stay I never used my car, nor did I need any transportation to view all Old Quebec had to offer.
Across the hotel door is the "Museé du la civilisation", where I visited the "Samurai" exposition.
The selection and variety of restaurants in close walking distance was just fantastic! For breakfast, we used the hotel's free breakfast included in our rate. This was just the tastiest and most fresh breakfast of any hotel we stayed in Canada. I picked the omelet, that was freshly made with real eggs - not the standard pale yellow stuff you get at American hotel chains- with fromage (cheese) and Jambon (jam). The taste, quality and smell of the breakfast was every bit of good as I had in any hotel that I have stayed on in France. The place is so good, that locals stop by to have breakfast. That, my friend is a sign of quality.
This brings me to the most important part of my experience in Saint Pierre auberge; It's staff.
There were very helpful, even playful when I, or one of my friends, tried out our rudimentary and awful accented French.
The room was clean and toiletries excellent. My only beef being banging and drill noises one morning from construction workers in the museum next door at 7:00 AM.
Next time I go back to Old Quebec, I'll be staying at the Saint Pierre again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is no small wonder that Le Saint Pierre is one of Quebec City’s most sought-after properties. The combined beauty and elegance of its 200 year-old façade with the natural warmth of its interior with parquet flooring and exposed stone and brick walls is, quite simply, beautiful.Fine hotel elegance and incomparable, intimate Old Quebec charm make our 31 rooms and 10 Suites a winning combination for all our guests.Cozy, warm, dynamic atmosphere as well as complimentary breakfast and Internet access await you at Le Saint Pierre, Auberge Distinctive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- l`Auberge Saint-Pierre Hotel Quebec City
- Auberge Saint Pierre Quebec
- Auberge St Pierre
- Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive Quebec/Quebec City