“Beautiful room, friendly staff, generous breakfast”

Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive
Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Boynton Beach
“Beautiful room, friendly staff, generous breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Located in the lower part of Old Quebec in the building that was the first location of the National Bank of Canada surrounded by art galleries in easy walking distance to many nice restaurants. Our third floor room on the St Pierre Street side was flooded with morning light.

Room Tip: Our third floor room on the St Pierre Street side was flooded with morning light.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ggreider
scornellier, Director of Sales at Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Bonjour ggreider,

Thank you for sharing your comments on our property.
We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed our location as well as the great morning lights coming in to your room!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon,

Director of sales & marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed in a suite for four days at the hotel with an infant. There was enough space to spread out all the baby stuff and the space was warm and welcoming. The exposed brick and old fashioned heating pipes/plumbing was a nice touch. The staff was friendly and helpful as well. The two drawbacks were that it was a bit of a struggle to get the stroller inside the hotel without a handicapped accessible entrance (but we later realized that this was an issue with many establishments in QC). The second issue was that the hotel is located near the old port area and many of the tourist attractions require a short hike up the hill which was a little difficult with the snow and the stroller. We ended up carrying the baby in a baby carrier or using the funicular which is close by. The Museum of Civilization is right across the street which we enjoyed a lot. There were decent eating option in the area as well. This was our first trip to QC and we are definitely going back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank random_idle_mind
scornellier, Director of Sales at Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Bonjour M. Random_idle_mind,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our property. It was a pleasure to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at Le St-Pierre.
Should we have the honor to welcome you and your family again, please note that our back entrance located on “Sault-au-Matelot” is street-level, no stairs!
As mentioned, our location is in the Old-Port District of Québec City in the lower town (sea-level!), as you said, the easiest way up is with the Funicular, located 2 blocks away or also with the Electric Bus which has a stop a block away, in front of the Civilizations Museum.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel before and was very satisfied with the room I had gotten. It had a whirlpool for 2 people in it. So I decided to stay there again. I booked a room with a Jacuzzi (thinking that it would be a real jacuzzi for more then one person), we arrived at 1 am and we were looking forward to relaxing in the jacuzzi before going to bed. We walk into our room, and our jacuzzi is actually a bathtub with added jets. I was so disappointed and angry. I went to see the front desk and the guy there barely spoke any English and told us there's nothing he could do for us, all we could do is wait and speak to the manager the next morning. The next morning I went to see the manager, who kept telling me "we never guaranteed a jacuzzi"...I explained to him that their website says specifically uses the word "JACUZZI", so then he tells me "OH..I'm sorry, we used the wrong term". I was so frustrated at this time. He tried to make me feel better by offering me a $30 discount on the room. I said to him "I am paying $180/night for a regular room, when I could have gotten the same room at a much cheaper price somewhere else and that the only reason I booked with you is because of the Jacuzzi". At the end of a long discussion, I asked him to give us another night free to compensate. He agreed and gave us their "economy" room...it was so small and it didn't even have a bathtub. Just a small shower that I (being 5ft) could barely move around in it.
OH...and they billed me for parking when I was specifically told it was going to be free with the room.
In conclusion, the hotel is not that great. I will never go back or recommend it to anyone.
Oh ya, one more thing. They have breakfast included, but I warn you dont order the French Toast and send it back...I ordered it, it was soo runny, I felt I was eating something chewed up and spit out. So I sent it back, and got back the same thing. I sent it back again and just asked for eggs. I looked over at the chef and she was soo mad.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank allaroundtheworld6
scornellier, Director of Sales at Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Bonjour Allaroundtheworld6,

Thank you for your taking the time to review our property.

Even if we don’t share all of your views on our property, we do appreciate your feedback.

We would like to inform you that out of our 41 units, only two have double jetted tubs. Then, 30 of our rooms offer single jetted tubs, while the last 9 units offer showers only. We do apologize for any misunderstanding that our former site may have indicated. We have now banned the words Jacuzzi and Whirlpool (product name) so there could be no disappointment from our valued guests. The word "jetted tub" is now in use concerning our tubs description.
We are sorry that the discount given as well as the following complimentary night offered to excuse ourselves about the “tub situation” was unsatisfactory to you.

Concerning our parking, as we don’t own the lot, we do have to charge our guests. In our historic & urban location, free parking is, unfortunately, not an option.

About breakfast, we rarely have any complaints about its quality or presentation; au contraire, our clients enjoy the quality, the portions and the actual room where it is served which is exclusive to our guests. One of the perks of staying at Le St-Pierre is that breakfast is always included in your rate offering height different hot choices, an exception in the region.

We are sorry that we won’t have the privilege to welcome you again; it would have been an honor to show you what we are truly about on your next stay.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

The St. Pierre was a great find for my boyfriend and I. The room (suite) that we stayed in was overly spacious, though we weren't complaining. The bathtub was a bit small for a tall person, however, was cozy and after a long day walking around in the chilly weather, we were happy to come back to the room and relax. There is a 'kitchenette' with a sink, coffee maker and small fridge, which came in handy since we decided to keep evening drinks cool and snacks fresh. The location is good for the lower city, though would recommend taking the Ecolo-bus ($1 each way) to the upper city, especially in the winter. The staff were very helpful upon arrival and check-out, they spoke English, and were very willing to carry bags for us. If you arrive by taxi from the airport, it should cost between $32.50 and $35.00.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anget09
scornellier, Director of Sales at Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Anget09,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our property.
We were happy that you and your boyfriend enjoyed all the amenities the suite offered for your comfort and enjoyment and that you found our team to be helpful.

The Ecolo-Bus which has a stop just a block away is definitely a cheap and efficient way to get around the City’s main attractions. The Funicular is also a fun way to get to the Haute-Ville district (uptown).

To the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

Amazing room, clean, comfy and chic! We didn't want to leave! Definitely , a place to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bondi2544
Bonjour Bondi2544,

Thank you for the great review you prived about our Property.

We are also looking forward to your return soon.

Au plaisir,

Director of Sales & marketing
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

We spent 4 nights at the Auberge St Pierre and were not disappointed. Considering how expensive it is to stay in the Old City, the Auberge is quite a good deal since it includes a hot breakfast. We were a little taken aback when we arrived as the entrance and lobby are quite drab. Also there are stairs to climb to get to the lobby so this is not a hotel for anyone with mobility issues. The staff was very friendly and polite. There is an elevator to get to the rooms. Our room and bathroom were a decent size. The charm lies in the exposed brick and creaky floors. Pros: comfortable bed, TV facing the bed, nice toiletries in bathroom, good (but not great) hot breakfast included, Globe & Mail provided in lobby. Cons: night table with light on only one side of bed, no counter in bathroom to put one's toiletries on, no list of TV channels (but there were plenty in English). Even though this hotel is not 5 star luxury, it is charming and right in the heart of the old city with umpteen restaurants, shops and historical sights right at the door step. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Weswee
Bonjour Weswee,

We would like to thank for taking the time to share your views about our property.

As you mentioned, the daily hot breakfast included in the room rate certainly adds great value to any stays as well as the complimentary wireless Internet access. Rest assure that our team will be made aware of your positive comments regarding their politeness and friendliness.

Please note that as we are located in a historic building (Quebec’s Insurance & Fire Company first ever Headquarter), the City’s regulation strictly forbids any architectural changes to landmark buildings like ours. Should the stairs leading to the reception be a challenge, please know that our back entrance located on “Sault-au-matelot” street only have 2 steps for an easier access. We are currently looking to add extra storage to our bathrooms. TV Channels are now listed in our Hotel Guide provided in each guest rooms.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights in room #109 (two double beds). Overall, it was a very good stay in a good hotel. However, here are some details of our stay:

ROOM: Very comfortable beds. The room was huge and seemed that it could fit two more double beds in it. During our stay, outside temperature was around 0°C to 6°C. The room had responsive electrical heating unit. However, our bathroom did not seem to have any heat source and when I took shower I could feel that it was colder in the bathroom than in the actual room. The room has two narrow very high windows. View - back wall of Civilization museum across the narrow street; good thing – no-one is looking into your windows. When I was closing the blinds at night on our two narrow very high windows (my bed was near the window so I could feel cold coming from the window) I woke up my Mom although I was closing the blinds carefully and slowly. The blinds appear to be aluminum so they make noise when you open/close them.
I read in one review that a tile in the bathroom floor was broken. Not sure if we had the same room, but couple tiles in our bathroom seemed to be shifting a bit. The water pressure was good; however, sometimes we had to run water for a few minutes to get it to warm/hot temperature.

STAIRS, LUGGAGE AND CHECK IN: We came by taxi at around 11:30pm with heavy suitcases. There are about 4 stairs to get to the first hotel door. Then, there is a landing and then about 4 more stairs to the second hotel door (my count could be a bit off). The taxi left suitcases on the street. I ran inside to check if someone could bring suitcases up, but there was no one at the reception. It was cold outside so we wanted to get in. So, my Mom and I carried 5 suitcases to the landing between the first and second front doors. We waited a few minutes (5?) in the reception area (there was no bell). A gentleman from reception then came and checked us in (friendly and nice check in). I asked if someone could get our suitcases from the front landing to the reception. The gentleman carried the suitcases to the reception. He then carried them upstairs (only then we realized that we are on the second floor with no elevator). Overall, it was a lot of stairs and there was no way we would get our suitcases to the room without the reception guy. It felt like high tip was not just appropriate but it was a must.

FURNITURE: Very very comfortable beds. Nice bedding. There was one stand for suitcase so we kept our suitcases on the window shelves. There was also one chair, two armchairs, big table and small coffee table, two night tables and a wardrobe with room for hanging clothes and shelves. Nice floors. Adequate, nice and clean. Two nice robes were provided. We bought one for $95 + tax. Now my Mom feels it is not the same robe (bigger in size and rougher quality even after wash and dry) as we had in the room. I am now speaking with hotel about returning it.

LOCATION OF THE ROOM IN THE HOTEL: There are two parts of this hotel – one with elevator (we did not go there) and one without. Our room number 109 was on the second floor in the side with no elevator. The ceilings are very high in this hotel and there are some stairs to be climbed to get to the second floor. My Mom and I did ok, but consider this if you are with someone who is not be able to climb the stairs that good.

LOCATION OF THE HOTEL – great location in the lower town. Quiet and peaceful. Eco bus stops in front of Civilization museum (a minute walk from the hotel) – it takes you around town for $1 each way ($2 in total for about 40 minutes ride). The hotel is located near waterfront, close to funicular, some high-end stores (more practical shopping is in the upper town) and some excellent restaurants. There is a great farmers market (8 minutes walk from hotel) which we enjoyed very much. I noticed that the temperature was lower in the lower town due to elevation and river proximity.

BREAKFAST AND BREAKFAST SERVICE: Breakfast was included. The menu consisted of about 10 choices of breakfast. It was good solid breakfast, but I cannot say that it was outstanding, like some reviews say.

We had two different servers for breakfast. found Luis (waiter for Saturday and Sunday) being not so pleasant. Day 1 – my Mom came first and sat at the larger, 4 persons table. Luis came to my Mom and asked her to sit at the small table. She did. Then, when I came, the first thing he loudly asked us (before I even sat at the table) what was our room number. That was his greeting I guess. I cannot believe I even tipped Luis that day. Day 2 – my Mom told me that when she came down to the dining room before me, to her “good morning” Luis responded “sit at the small table”. When I came there he asked me, loudly, again (again, before I even sat at the table) what was our room number. I know he knew who we are and recognized us and I am not sure why he asked. I observed that the people who came after us on Saturday or Sunday were not asked “ what is your room number” – not in English and not in French. Additionally, on Sunday, we saw two couples sitting at the large tables. I asked Luis why did not he let my Mom to sit at the large table yesterday or today. To which Luis responded that when those people came, there was no small tables. Both, my Mom and I, felt that Luis was kind loud and abrupt with us and for some reason, just did not like us much.

The girl serving breakfast on Monday was pleasant and accommodating. Also, she did not ask us which room we were in (not did she ask other people). The lady in the kitchen (the cook) was pleasant as well.

SERVICE OF ROOM: Upon our arrival, all bed sheets were tucked in. During first night, my Mom’s bottom bed sheet got pulled out of place. First morning, I called and asked not to tuck in the top sheets when making beds. When we got back to the hotel, all sides of bottom and top sheets (both beds) were pulled out and lying on the floor. The sheets were very big (for queen or king size bed?), so basically about 1/3 of each sheet was on the floor. In this awkward way the beds appeared to have been done. Surprisingly, my Mom’s bottom sheet was still pulled out of place (i.e. in the total mess condition that we left it). I showed the reception guy how the bedding was done (or rather not done) and sheets on the floor. The reception guy was very apologetic and said this did not happen before. He gave us new sheets and I myself replaced them. I asked not to touch our beds for the next two days. Additionally, my pajamas that were in my bed before, after such “bed making” were disorderly thrown into/onto my suitcase which was on the window shelf. Part of my pajamas were on the external dirty side of the suitcase. I asked the reception if I can wash it somewhere. They said that they can wash next day. Next day when I was coming down to breakfast, the reception advised me that my pajama is ready and pointed at my pajama which was laying, without any cover or plastic bag, on the reception table. It was washed, ironed and folded. They handed to me my pajama, without any cover or plastic bag, and I had to return to the room to leave the pajama and then return to the reception/dining to join my Mom for breakfast.
Garbage from the room was not removed on the second day.

RECEPTION AND RECEPTION SERVICE: Very pleasant, helpful and positive. Domenic was great. She provided me with some menus from different restaurants, went through them with me and spent with me some time choosing the restaurants. Her restaurant recommendations were very good. We also met concierge from sister Hotel Le 71. He was nice. There was a good computer available, for free, at all times. At the end of the stay, they held our luggage in storage room from check out time till departure time to airport. We mentioned to the reception in the morning that we will need taxi for airport at around 6pm. We got back to hotel at 6:05pm and the taxi was there waiting for us since 6pm!

Except the few “no- biggies” described above, our stay in this hotel was good. The feel of the hotel is nice. I loved the warmth of the reception and the smell of wood when you get in from the cold street. The staff is very nice, friendly, polite and sincerely wanted to help. I would stay in this hotel again if I got a good deal. If not, I may try something else.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank CATFLY
Bonjour Catfly,

Thank you for submitting such a detailed review of our property!

Your comments are welcome and taken for seriously; they have been addressed/passed on to our team and most specifically to some individuals.

We enjoyed the fact that your enjoyed your overall stay and looking forward to your possible return,