“Great place, great location...”

Relais Charles-Alexandre
Ranked #20 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
ny
“Great place, great location...”
Reviewed March 26, 2010

What a nice time we had here earlier this week. Richard is charming and his staff is very helpful. The hotel is in a great location, lots of places to eat within walking distance. Large park/historic site a block behind the hotel. We drove into the old city one day - it snowed the entire day, so the car was necessary. Otherwise, it would be a lovely walk into the old city. I would certainly stay here again...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cary, NC
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My daughter and I stayed in this very nice hotel in early July 2009. We had what is
called a Superior Room. There were 2 single beds. The beds were very comfortable.
The rooms were nicely appointed with a large bureau, extra chair with cushions,
a large flat screen TV, and a nice sized bathroom with shower. We were on the
second floor (no elevator) and our window looked out over a pool (which I believe
is not associated with the hotel).

You are asked to choose a seating time for breakfast. (We chose 8:00am). Upon
arrival in the breakfast room, you are served a plate with melon slices, and
you can have coffee, tea, and/or juices. Since I am no longer a coffee drinker,
I did not have the coffee, but the juices were good, and the tea bag choices were
extensive.

The breakfast menu choices are croissants, cereal, or toast. Croissants and
toast come with a small plate of homemade pate which is very nice indeed.
There are also oversized chocolate muffins. Note that you can have any combination
of these choices.

The hotel is nicely situated. You are only a one-block walk from Avenue Cartier
where there are many shops and restaurants. It is only a about a 5-10 minute
walk to the restaurant row near Old Town. And you are also only about a block
away from the Plains of Abraham park.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and everyone I communicated with
spoke English very well.

A couple of things to note... the desk closes at around 10:00pm. After that time,
there is no one to answer the phone, and any calls that come in cannot be routed
to the room phones. You can certainly stay out past 10:00pm, since you are given
a key that gives you access into the hotel (but not into the lobby).

We did not have a vehicle, so I cannot comment regarding parking.

There was Internet access available, and after I ensured I got the right
wireless access point, I found the speed was quite acceptable.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Quebec City.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
parry sound, Ontario
Reviewed October 19, 2008

A surprisingly convenient location. Around the corner from the art gallery and rue Cartier dining. Across the plains of Abraham to vieux Que, or roll down the main street through the gates to the vieux city. Big, bright, clean room. Staff is wonderfully welcoming and speak excellent English. The coffee was a real letdown. Seriously, it's an embarrassment to their French heritage.

• Liked — decor - felt homey, and breakfast room (included)
  • Disliked — single beds
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed August 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed here during the Winter Carnival. It was very charming and felt historic, but was well kept and extremely clean. Also, the location is very convenient to the old city and a variety of restaurants. We still talk fondly about the great breakfast that was included, and how friendly the staff were. If you're looking for something that's cozy, charming, and romantic with the feel of a bed and breakfast but the amenities of a hotel, this place is a great alternative to the big name hotels.

• Liked — Great service, location, food. Charming.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGal_Toronto08
Moncton, New Brunswick
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I loved this little place. The building on the outside is a lot nicer then the picture they provide. I stayed there August 1st and 6th. The first time I was in room 24. This room is on the main floor. My boyfriend loved that it had a plasma tv on the wall (lol) That is all he needs. I however took that as a bonus to the very clean bathroom and comfy bed. We chose one of the standard rooms given our budget for the vacation, so the view was of the back parking lot. The second room we stayed in was room 4. This didn't have a plasma tv for the boyfriend, but it had a really nice bathroom. Loved the layout of the room. This was on the second floor with a little bit better of a view. My parents went with us and stayed in rooms 22 and 17. I was in both. They had the superior rooms. They were very spacious. With fireplaces and bay windows. The second room they were in would be the one I would choose. It was number 17 and you had to climb a couple of small sets of stairs but the view was better then being on the main floor. It gave a little more privacy. They were both spacious and extremely clean. This place is organized and has very friendly staff. It is where I will stay next time I'm in Quebec. I would recommend this to the pickiest of travellers.

• Liked — Location, Comfy beds, and it was very clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Spent a couple of nights in Quebec with family and we very much enjoyed Quebec City and its lovely people. The hotel was quite quaint and accomodating. The rooms are nicely furnished and the bathroom has been recently renovated and is sparkling clean and white. The outside could use a little updating,but otherwise the hotel inside is very clean and charming. The included breakfast was nice unless you are a bacon and eggs type.You really can't go wrong for the price. It's in a great location also.

• Liked — Charm of Old Quebec
  • Disliked — no elevator to third floor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Pacifica, California
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We were going to Quebec during a very busy convention week. We weren't able to book any big hotel rooms at a decent rate. A colleague at Quebec Tourism recommended this little B&B to us. We were skeptical and had very little expectations at first. But this turned out to be a little gem. The continental breakfast was nice, loved the freshly made croissants, pates and breads. My only wish was that the portions were a little bigger up front so we didn't have to wait to ask again.

We stayed in a lovely superior room on the 1st floor, which is 2nd floor in US standards, facing the side street. The room was clean, quite, comfortable. The bathroom was a good size though I would have enjoyed a little more counter space. The only downside is that it does not have an elevator. Don't pack too much.

Location is superb... 10-minute walking distance to Old Quebec, a couple of minutes walk from Rue Cartier, with restaurants, grocery shopping, pharmacy and such.

I would highly recommend this B&B for its location, price, service and accommodations.

Enjoy...

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends