“Convenient location, excellent staff”

Hotel Le Germain Quebec
Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed October 1, 2013

On the good side, this hotel is perfectly located near the old town, Place Royale and rue du Petit Champlain, plenty of restaurants around. Rooms are spacious, very very comfortable. The staff are outstanding, very friendly, and helpful. We liked the breakfast set up, where you can either sit on your own, or with other people at a big table.
Downside, we found our mattress was far too soft and the bathroom was missing hooks, and handsoap.
Overall we would come back at we really like the atmosphere of this hotel.

2  Thank Liany
Sarah C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Bonjour Liany,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! We are thrilled that you enjoyed it, and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you again!

The confort of our bed is something very important for us, and we are renowed for it. Would it be possible for you to send me a direct message with the room number you were in, or the name of the reservation, so we can look into it immedialty? My e-mail address is scote@germaindominion.com.

We will do a follow up with housekeeping to make sure our standard regarding handsoap is still in place; we apologize about the inconvenience it may have caused.

Warm Regards,

Sarah
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel without realizing that it was located in the lower town below the Frontenac. What a great location. Almost all of the restaurants that we booked in advance, ended up being within a block of the hotel. The area is far less touristy than up by the Frontenac. The accommodations as well as the staff were excellent. If you want a modern, stadium lit hotel, this is not for you. Its a really nice boutique hotel which captures its past. Would stay here anytime

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank joeyrm7
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Close to our cruise ship terminal, this beautiful hotel (a former bank) was just what we were looking for! Even though we had booked 2 nights, we only had one night there because of a canceled flight from Philadelphia. We came in a day late, ready to rest from our travels! We rested very well, thank you! And in the morning after we received personal instruction on using the high tech cappucino-maker from a young staff member, we enjoyed coffee in our room! Then we proceeded to the breakfast buffet in the lobby. There were many items from which to choose and the quality was quite high. We were granted an extension on check out time, so that we could wait until the ship could be boarded at 1PM. The staff was accommodating and the hotel was exceptional!

1  Thank majorkey12
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Lovely hotel located in the lower part of Quebec City. Easy walking distance to all the highlights, there are some great steep hills around but if your not up to walking them the funicular is not far and will take you for a small cost to just below the Frontenac. The rooms were small but very funky and comfortable. Continental breakfast which is included is adequate. Would highly recommend this hotel for it's location, ambiance and the lovely friendly staff.

1  Thank Narp35
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, friendly staff in old town. Breakfast included some really nice cheeses and croissants and nice coffee options. You can get drinks in the lobby, sit down in a comfortable environment and relax. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance. A bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Checked out of this hotel earlier this week after a 4 day stay. The hotel, rooms, staff and service are all exceptional. Spacious, comfortable rooms, coffee bar and fresh fruit in the open plan lounge area and a lovely, relaxed, continental breakfast. Well located, with great restaurants just a stone's throw away. I was ill with a cold and the receptionist went out of her way to prepare a local cold remedy for me. I was impressed by the standard and cleanliness of the hotel overall.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nadine1066
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The room itself was fine, except the lighting is poor and you would never be able to prepare a presentation or a brief with no lighted work area. But that was not the problem since this a vacation. The air-conditioning was not working properly--which caused a complete lack of sleep for my wife and me. Since sleeping is the primary reason for a hotel, this hotel was a zero. I called the front desk early in the evening who then sent a nice young man who had no idea how to address the problem--and then subsequently was told by the front desk that the AC had been shut down for the season! So obviously no fix that night--despite being told that the front desk was attempting to contact anyone for assistance. I was told by the front desk that "No other rooms were available" for a switch--despite being told by the young man that indeed other rooms were available. A distinct pattern in conduct was becoming evident--to me, inexcusable.
So I met with the general manager-who did sit down with me to hear me out the next morning. She confirmed that she had received an email the night before, but did not read it until 6:30 am so could not address my problem--and total lack of sleep--all of this for just $300 per night. The GM found the building AC man who was helpful and proceeded to fix the problem for the next night--in fact, they do have AC it turns out.
When I requested that the bill be adjusted for a terrible night, I was sent a bottle of jam. The bottom line is that the hotel, the staff and the GM did not deliver on the basic purpose of a hotel--and then did not make it right--an express disconnect between advertised service, their stated business of lodging, representations of quality, and the actual results.
If you are trying to decide which hotel to stay in Quebec City, my strong suggestion is that you try another. I know there must be good places there because my uniform experience over the years in Montreal has been exceptional. We certainly will go elsewhere when we return to QC. P.S.: If you are wondering why we didn't just check out, the only reason was that my wife was too tired to move for one more night and I deferred. I truly hope that the folks at the hotel have a similar experience so that just maybe they rethink their responses. While I expect that I may receive some sort of tepid response here--because I believe they do read TripAdvisor and want to appear to be responsive-it certainly would not salvage a lost night and their opportunity to rectify the situation. Good luck on your travels.

5  Thank kenk1000
SylvieD492, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear guest,

I am deeply disappointed with this review.

When we met in the morning of your second day, we went to your room to look at the thermostat (showing 21 C – 69.8 F), Our focus was to find a solution so you would be comfortable in your room for your second day and night. When I followed up with your wife an hour later and after confirming that the temperature was going down, I was under the impression that you were totally satisfied.

Our main goal is not to adjust bills but to satisfy our guests by finding solutions. I sincerely thought we had succeeded.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Very sincerely,

Sylvie Dionne