“Overpowering smell of urine”

Hotel la Maison Demers
Ranked #78 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Although I was thrilled to find a room in the old city in a wonderful location at an affordable rate. However, room 8 was tiny and dingy and shared a bath with 2 other rooms. The worst thing was the awful smell of urine. I wouldn't return at any price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vermonter132

Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed at hotel Demers in July. Excellent location and price. Very clean.Stayed on second floor but unfortunately there was no air conditioning. There was a ceiling fan but not in great condition ,swinging from side to side. The breakfast is very good. The croissants fresh . Selection of fruits , tea, coffee, "Vache Qui Rit" cheese.. I would recommend this place however not when it's over 30 degrees celsius. It can be warm in there.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We reserved the room on the first floor due to health issues. It was really small ( even by European standars ), the bathroom was ridiculously small ( my sister is quite tall and didn't have enough room to sit properly on the toiet as the walls were so narrow. There was no air conditioning even though we had been told there was. When we asked for it, the woman said we didn't need it as it wasn't hot yet ( it was 25C and the window gave on the interior court yard-no breeze). We left our stuff there and went to look at other places, when we got back, we packed our things and asked the woman to come in the room so we could politely tell her we were leaving. Her reply was I don't have time, I'm leaving....so we answered so are we! Stay clear of this place at all costs!

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank CanadaDeb
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed one night in room #1 main floor after the Carnaval. Parking is included in $75 fee. We didn't bother for breakfast. The owner is very friendly old lady. Overall, met our expectations.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I have visited several regions of the world, I come from the province of Quebec, and it's the worse accomodation experience I've ever had. My husband and I passed 1 night there, and it was too long. The bathroom was old-looking, it was bordeline acceptable. The old couple was very unfriendly, negative, stingy and served us the breakfast very reluctantly. They told us the breakfast was included, but they served us green bananas, powder orange juice and 2 hard and uneatable croissants, we couldn't eat them, they were disgusting. They'd better serve nothing at all. They had a row all morning and kept speaking against other types of accomodation. They are not professional at all.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Smallbeaver
Reviewed August 2, 2007

This is my third time staying at the Hotel. There were 2 adults and 2 teens in our party and we stayed 3 nights. Madam, Monsieur Demers and son are so friendly and very helpful with what to see around the city. We walked from the train station, pulling our wheeled luggage, to the Hotel. The location is perfect to get around the old city and also to venture out to the Parliament buildings and great shopping. I would highly recommend the Hotel. There is a grocery store close by where we bought bread, cheese, cold cuts, beer and had lunch on the balcony at our Hotel. When I go back to Quebec City, this is definitely the Hotel, I will be staying at.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank b2929
Reviewed February 24, 2007

The place is mentioned in the Rough Guide to Canada and a recent review was published in the New York Post.

We had stayed her for 3 nights from Sunday to Tuesday during the winter carnival. We had taken the taxi from the airport to Demers and arrived Sunday after midnight. I had called to make reservation and Mrs Demers only needed my name to book my reservation. She had waited for us to arrive before going to bed since we arrived after midnight.

We were assigned to room 1 which I had read in previous Trip Advisor comments that it was the worst room. Room 1 is located on the ground floor between the kitchen and the Demers TV room. There are (locked) French doors adjoining Room 1 and Demers TV room. The rest of the rooms were located on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

We had a huge room with 2 double beds. However, the bathroom is very tiny (no fat person can fit thru!) and cable TV. Even though it was freezing cold (-30C) outside, it was 30C inside the room and we had no idea where the thermostat was – we were either freezing or boiling during our trip in Quebec City. The only other problem with room 1 was the smell – kinda like old dust and stale smell (then again, it’s an old house with old hideous carpeting).

Breakfast is located on the 2nd floor – there is a small bookshelf which each shelf allocated to a particular room with its own food tray, glasses and utensils. Breakfast consisted of large croissants and fruit. Coffee and tang (it wasn’t really orange juice!) were available but I didn’t see any hot chocolate (from what the previous people had commented on the website).

Location is good – there is a good café called Café du Latin located down the street. It is very close walking distance to the carnival sites and Frontenac Hotel.

Housekeeping is very good – I suspect Mrs Demers did the work and she even folded up our clothes and PJs!!

Mr and Mrs Demers were very nice. Marc was okay – he did most of the operations running the B&B. We paid a total of $297.40 for 3 nights (2 people).

I would definitely stay here again but not in room 1.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank lkplow