“A great little place and very nice hospitality for a very fair price”

Hotel la Maison Demers
Ranked #78 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Cambridge, VT
“A great little place and very nice hospitality for a very fair price”
Reviewed June 23, 2006

A great little place and very nice hospitality for a very fair price. If you aren't looking for fancy decor, it is great. The location is right in the heart of Old Quebec near the city wall and always fresh croissants and OJ and coffee for breakfast. The rooms on the front of the buildings have balconys and you can see the parades go by from them. Very nice. We've stayed there 3 years in a row now.

Stayed August 2005
3 Thank VisitVT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed August 28, 2005

On our way back from New Brunswick, my wife and I decided to stop in Québec city to check things out and relax a bit before we got back to Ottawa. We didn't have any reservations or anything because of our last minute stop over so we decided to go to a tourist information center for brochures. That's when I saw the room at La Maison Demers for 65$ located in the "Vieux Québec". I thought to myself "this has got to be a mistake" When I called, Mme Demers confirmed the price and the vacancy. Well, even without seeing it, I decided to reserve it....lucky for us...there was nothing available due to the peak season. This place had parking and breakfast included. In my honest opinion, the room wasn't too shabby (we had room #7 on the third floor) and without A/C. The only disappointment I had was the we had to share the washroom with two other rooms. The house according to her son Marc was about 120yrs old and was in "relatively" good condition. As far as returning there in the future?.... you bet!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank Algonkin
Toronto
Reviewed October 28, 2004

First, the price was good. It was probably the best deal you could found in Quebec. Second, the location was perfect. It was right in the heart of the Quebec City. Third, the room was tidy and clean. Last but not least, people were nice and friendly. I stayed there for 2 nights with my parents. They travelled a lot. They liked the hotel too. We definitely had a great time in the Old Town!

I went to Quebec City in summer. I will definitely visit it again in winter and Hotel La Maison Ste-Ursule will be my first choice.

Quebec City is different to other cities in North America. It is a great place!

16 Thank Grizzlies
Reviewed October 2, 2004

Reviews on this site led us to this small hotel, and we were not disappointed. Madame and Monsieur Demers are aging but are still running this place, and very eager to please. However, their son definitely has not inherited the hospitality trait, and before reserving I suggest people make sure the hotel management has not been passed on to him. Rooms vary in size. As noted in other reviews, #4 is biggest and best. It has 2 double beds, a couch, a breakfast table, a hotplate, refrigerator, balcony, and en suite bath, as well as iron, ironing board, and hair dryer. This room is spacious enough to accommodate 4. Room #7 has one double bed, massive furniture, one easy chair, and is much less spacious; the bath is shared. Room #1 is on the ground floor and is almost as spacious as #4, with en suite shower. Several rooms are smaller than these. All rooms cost the same. For our 4-day stay, we stayed in 3 different rooms as they became available. Prices are high and rooms small in the old city, so at $70 Canadian (in Sept.) these were very good values. The hotel is on a quiet street which has many small hotels, well located near the St. Louis gate, in easy walking distance of most sites and restaurants. There is no web site; the Demers are from an earlier generation, and so are their rates.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2004

For the first time, TripAdvisor has let us down. My wife and I were very excited to be staying at Maison Demers based on the previous reviews. I agree that Mme Demers is pleasant to meet. (She and M. Demers were celebrating their 42nd wedding anniversary at the time.) And the location is good. But that's as far as I can stretch to find positive comments. Whatever it takes, DO NOT stay in Room #1 downstairs. We seriously considered leaving to find accomodations elsewhere after seeing (and smelling) the room. In hindsight, we wish we had done so immediately. The room smelled terrible and the floor obviously hadn't been vaccuumed in some time. The tattered towels and sheets appeared to be holdovers from the early 1980s. It is impossible to sit squarely on the toilet because it is about five inches from the opposite wall. We were seriously afraid to touch anything. I even had trouble sleeping because of the bad smell. The second night, we were moved to the above-described Room #4. It was much better, although the balcony had just been removed, apparently condemned by the codes department. (We were told it will be replaced soon.) Room #4 is adequate and reasonably large and contains a fridge and hot plate, as previously described. It is cleaner and somewhat more up-to-date. I would give Room #4 three stars, but since Room #1 gets one star since there is no lower rating, we give Maison Demers a "two" rating overall. As to the breakfast, it was basically croissants, butter, jam, and Tang instant breakfast drink (or something equivalent -- certainly not "orange juice"). It was left to be picked up in a dark hallway along the upstairs rooms. While our adequate experience in Room #4 made us feel a little better about Maison Demers, we certainly can't recommend it.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Eastport, Maine
Reviewed April 30, 2004

A friend and her 14-year-old daughter, my 18-year-old dughter and I spent three nights here in mid-April. Thanks to the comments of previous guests, I decided to check out Maison Demers, and I loved Madame Demers the first time I spoke to her on the phone. She dn't need my charge card #. My name was enought to hold Room #4.
Loved the size of the room, the balcony, the windows running along the street side, iron, ironing bd, fridge, hair dryer, small couch and a perfectly sized round table that we used in the morning for our breakfast of freshly baked croissants, fruit, coffee, o.j. & hot chocolate, and, after we returned from supper, late-night UNO games. I even loved the ceiling fan. It reminded me of another one of my favorite places - New Orleans. And, in case former guests are interested, the little dog is still there......

• Stayed April 2004
5 Thank ilovehistory
Reviewed January 6, 2003

This is one of the best places I've ever had the privilege to stay. The woman who owns/runs the place is so very nice (the little dog too). You can't beat the price. The location: great, right in the old city. I've been coming up to quebec for the snowmobiling for the last 16 years. If room a room is available I stay there. #4 is my favorite, its infront on the 2nd floor and has a balcony. I'm coming up this January/February and am unable to stay there but will just stop by to say Hello. Thats how much I like the place/people.....

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member