“Excellent deal”

Ranked #50 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent deal”
Reviewed September 25, 2005

The first hotel choice in most people’s minds is a cozy, quaint, full-of-character place in the old city. Fine for a night or two, maybe, but in such places, cozy soon becomes cramped and claustrophobic, quaint becomes outmoded, and flights of stairs no longer add character. Not to mention, these places are expensive! We stayed five nights at the Loew’s Le Concorde for an average of C$127.20/night. The best we could find in the old city was about $25 more per night, involved climbing flights of stairs, had little view, had a folding door to the closet-sized washroom as there wasn’t room for a full door to open, and had no air conditioning. And you won’t get a whirlpool to soak your weary feet after a day of walking. These hotels have been described even by their fans as little more than “houses with rooms for rent”.

What about the location? Isn’t it better to be in the old city? Not really, IMO. The Loew’s was at most 10 minutes’ walk from the St. Louis gate; we didn’t find it inconvenient. Besides, if you’re in the city, you’ll have to walk out towards the Loew’s to visit the Grand Allee, the parliament buildings and Rue Cartier.

There are deals to be had at the Loew’s. Booking a month in advance got us a better price. I checked the same rooms a day before departing and they were priced $40-$50 higher. Also, they have a “4 Free” promotion – stay three nights, get the fourth night free. It doesn’t work on the internet; you have to call them. Finally, sign up for their free loyalty program. You get a room upgrade (we were bumped up to the 18th floor with an incredible view of the old city) plus a welcome gift of your choice (we chose the beer and nuts; it was quality imported beer).

Loew’s is right on Grand Allée; you can choose from a dozen good restaurants without even crossing the street. But don't park at the hotel. They want around $20/day; nearby parking lots charge $6 for 12 hours ($12/day) with full in-out privileges. We saved an additional $6 by not paying for most of a day when we took a side trip.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank Lucky_Eddie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 25, 2005

My 17 year old daughter and I traveled through southeastern Canada in July and reserved a room at Lowes ahead of time based on the reviews I read on Trip Advisor. While speaking with the reservations clerk, I told her I wanted this to be a special experience for my daughter as it was the end of our vacation. I asked her to please give us a room with a good view...When we arrived, I was a little disappointed in the exterior of the hotel and the lobby--nothing really wrong, but not particularly special. But, we checked in and were taken to our room on the 25th floor. I was so happy when we entered the room! The rooms were redecorated last year and are very elegant, well appointed and spacious. We had a view of the river, the park, and surrounding Quebec. It was absolutely fabulous! The service was friendly, timely and helpful. We ate in l'Astral (a revolving restaurant overlooking the City) one night and had a late supper in our room another night. The food was excellent and we felt truly pampered.

I'm not sure what some of the other reviewers expected, but I thought the price was fair, the hotel was located close to everything, the staff was delightful, and the rooms were awesome! My daughter and I truly enjoyed our stay and will--without a doubt--stay at the Hotel Lowes le Concorde again!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Where to start?! I was really happy to visit Quebec city and we choose the Loews due to location and general Loews hotels standards that I've experiences in NYC, Montreal, L.A.. What a mistake! First the hotel from far look nice, but the closer you get, the uglier it gets. The main lobby is one the ugliest I saw: it has a 70`s look, never had ben renovated since they open the hotel. C/I was great, friendly staff, but when they gave me my room keys, old metal keys!!No electronic key card !!! Even Motel6 dont have these kind of keys anymore!!!What a shock! back in the 80`s now. After we had to get up: elevators old, scary, never renovated too. But the hallways on the guest floor, almost made me cry: on the wall, reproduction of a "castle like" bricks, old dark brown mirrors, awfull carpet, and doors with old locks! Now the room was really nice, renovated(ask for floor 15 or up, down the 15th fl., rooms are not renovated with a YMCA look)Room had a 2005 modern decor, really nice and really good bed, with a nice views. But the bathroom euurk! not renovated. The tiles on the floor and around the bath looked like a old shopping mall public batrooms, with mold and stains all over them. I walked all the time with my socks on that filthy bathroom floor. But the counter was nice, black marble at least. The bath had stain all over it.

Positives for this hotel: the food at L'Astral , the view from the rooms, and renovated rooms(not the bathroom).

I will return only if they do a general renovation from bottom to top. Why they dont spend money to update this hotel, it has so much more potential, it could be the best in the city, but instead its only a big 404 rooms 70s look motel. For the price they charge, not worth the money at all

• Stayed August 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 21, 2005

First post to Trip Advisor so please bear with me.

Spent a long week-end in Quebec. Hotel met expectations for given price range. Corporate price just under $200. Parking was expensive at $19 a night. Is 10% the room cost standard for hotels? Either way you look at it, you HAVE to pay for parking. There is little parking available in the city. Underground garage was a VERRRRY tight fit for standard car. Support columns and some corners have recycled tires attached to prevent damage to your car. Garage filled quickly and if you arrived when it was full, you got free valet parking. I have never used valet, never liked valet, and frankly am too cheap to pay someone else to do what I can do. I'm sure the drivers know what they are doing but I'm uncomfortable letting anyone else drive my car. It seemed to be very inconvenient to pay for something and not be able to use it the way you wanted or expected.

I didn't inform the hotel of my opinions, and they were not given an opportunity to assuage my concerns. Go and enjoy this hotel on an expense account. If you can leave your car at home and fly, train, or bus to Quebec, do so. Quebec is very walkable with moderate hills and apparantly abundant with taxis. Let them deal with the carefree drivers and the $1.12 per litre gas prices (about $4.25/gallon).

Go and visit the Jardin Zoologique just North of the city. Staff and volunteers were excellent and deserve great praise!

Merci Quebec, a la prochaine!

5 Thank smrtcar
Reviewed August 13, 2005

We just returned from a 3 day trip to beautiful Quebec City. I was very happy with our choice of the Loews. The staff was just wonderful and we found the service to be excellent. The room itself was very nice, and *extremely* comfortable. The hotel wasn't as modern upscale as some of the other Loews I've been to, like the one in South Beach, but of course it's much older than that hotel, and they've preserved it well.

We had a spectacular view of the Plaines of Abraham from a high floor, as well great views of the old city. Taking the advice of other reviews, we registered for LoewsFirst a few days in advance and had a nice treat waiting in the room. All in all, it was a terrific trip and we loved the old city -- very romantic. The gardens in the Plaines were wonderful. (We were also lucky to see a Rodin exhibit at an art museum.) Also, the concierge recommended a bistro next door -- the Cosmos Cafe -- for a light afternoon bite, and it turned into our daily breakfast place. The fruit salad there (over crepes, waffles, you name it) was out of this world!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

We just returned from a less than stellar stay at the Loews. I think even from the first day it was just a comedy of errors that kept us counting down until we departed Quebec.

First off, this hotel is about 30 years OUT OF DATE, and the service team should take some classes in "how to treat customers right, especially when they pay a good price for service". The Loews could use about 4-5 seperate SERVICE ELEVATORS - as they have 4 little elevators that have LONG lines that stretch back to China. If any new luggage arrives, look out....the bell boys will be hogging up your elevator and the line just grows and grows and grows....

They have ONE ice machine in the entire hotel (on the 4th Floor), which also slows down elevator traffic. The gym was also less than stellar, as it was the size of someone's bathroom and was situated right next to their pool. The only good thing about the 4th floor is the FREE JUMBO WATER DISPENSER that you can use to fill out your little water canteens, and not have to pay those awful prices for the junk in your fridge. Use it and use it well and save your money.

We can go on, but the highlights of the bad service include:

1. Needing a blanket at around 12 midnight, so we called the front desk, but they wouldn't come up and deliver it. So we had to go down and get it ourselves. Strike ONE for their customer service.

2. We tried to buy ONE stamp to mail a postcard, but the hotel said that we needed to buy a MINIMUM of 6 stamps from them or else!? Nice eh? Strike TWO.

3. We tipped the cleaning lady 2 dollars, but she didn't refill our shampoo and soap, and when we approached her afterwards, she gave us USED shampoo and soap!!!! The bottle was half empty and filthy!!! No joke. Strike THREE!.

What's weird is that they cleaning folks like to get a head start on the day, so what happens? Our door opened up at 8AM and in pops the cleaning lady! Just leave the do not disturb sign on your door folks at all times...trust me...

Again, we can go on, as there was other forgetful incidents, but this place is just not worth it.

Good luck pricelining another place folks...

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mesfilles
Reviewed August 7, 2005

Our family of 5 ( 2 adults and 3 kids ) just returned from a too short 4 nights at Loews Le Concorde and have only positive things to say about the experience. The hotel was a wonderful surprise! At first I was disappoined that I would not be staying at Chateau Frontenac ( too expensive ) and only "settled" on Loews due to economy. We got a great price of 138CAD per night ( after a 4th night free promo was calculated ) for a beautiful room ( 2 double beds and a rollaway ) on the 25th floor with a spectacular view over the city and St Lawrence River. And boy am I glad that we "settled". I did as another reviewer suggested and joined the Loews First program and got a room upgrade with wine and peanuts in the room, right from my first stay! Never did I expect such a great hotel and for the price we paid. All the staff of the hotel were efficient, friendly, helpful and bilingual. We never had to ask twice for any service. Although the hotel was very busy there was never a wait at the front desk though sometimes a bit of a wait for the car from valet ( 15-20 minutes ) or the elevators ( 1-2 min ) which could get very crowded but that was to be expected so plan accordingly. We used the services of the concierge a few times and she was knowledgeable and charming. The location on the Grand Allee is perfect with a great variety of lively outdoor restaurants right outside the front door and the Plains of Abraham just behind the hotel. A 10 minute stroll downhill takes you right through Porte St Louis into the magical old city but if you're tired after touring the old city it's only a 7CAD taxi ride back to the hotel. A note on sightseeing, do your homework before you arrive or you may miss out on something great things as there is so incredibly much to see and do. The outdoor 4th floor rooftop pool was nothing fancy, but was a great treat for the kids after lots of sightseeing. It seems most parents had the same idea. There is also pingpong, babyfoot and a small workout area here. We ate at the revolving rooftop restaurant on the last night for our farewell to Quebec. The food was good but not the highlight of eating here. We had the buffet with lots of salad items, smoked salmon, shrimp, cold cuts as well as roast beef, pork, quail, fish and a few other items and several desserts. To get the full effect we took the panoramic glass elevator from the ground floor and alighted from the elevator at 8:45pm after the sun had set and WOW! Lights twinkling everywhere, soft piano music and fireworks in the distance. Couldn't be more romantic ( almost the Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower but not quite ). We will be back to Quebec and we will stay at the Loews!

9 Thank mesfilles