“A great Location”

Ranked #39 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Kitchener
“A great Location”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We found the staff to be extremely helpful and very pleasant at all times. The room was not large but the king sized bed was comfortable and a blanket was in the room, which we appreciated as we do not find a duvet pleasant for sleeping. Our two windows looked toward the Chateau Frontenac which was glowing at night. Being in the heart of Old Quebec is fabulous! We could easily walk to most attractions. The tourist information centre is just a couple blocks away. Breakfast was well worth the price with good selection and quality to start us off on our busy day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NormaKitchener
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Wow, what a great review !

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other, it is really appreciated !

We hope you will come back in our beautiful city in a near future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The location of the Hotel Claredon is situated in the heart of Quebec old town and eleven of the seven hundred plus restaurants are within 200 metres of the lobby doors. There is major contruction going on just across the street which appears to be ongoing. Our taxi from the station decided to drive up the detour the wrong way but the bellboy came out of nowhere to greet us and take our luggage. Our check in was delayed as they wanted to find us a room away from the front of the building and away from the noise of contruction. Our room was small and looking a bit tired but adequate for our 3 night stay. The concierge and front desk staff were very good and went out of their way to help. We found the the facilities of the hotel pricey compared to other establishments within a short walk and there is a cover charge to listen to the jazz. The Hotel Clarendon is the oldest hotel in Quebec old town and a premium is being charged for location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments!

Indeed, the location of the hotel is hard to beat, and we are dedicated to serve our guest with a service that exceed their needs.

I hope we have the pleasure to see you again!

Thank you again!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We arrived around 1 o'clock on Friday the 27th of September and expected, based on many previous reviews, that our room would not be ready. Although it was not ready on check in, once we had completed the paperwork the room (426) became available so we were able to get rid of our luggage and freshen up after a long train ride to get out there and enjoy the city.
Yes, the room was small, but we have travelled extensively throughout Europe so this was not new to us. The charm of the room and the hotel's extreme cleanliness and comfortable bed more than made up for the size of the room. After all, we were not visiting Quebec City to spend much time in our room. True, it did not have much of a view, but it was very quiet for relaxing and getting away from the crowds; minutes away from all of the action. My wife did quite a bit of shopping so I appreciated being so close to the hotel that we were able to get rid of the purchases regularly rather than having to carry the items everywhere. The bathroom was clean and the shower had excellent pressure. We did not eat in the hotel as we wanted to discover the many interesting restaurants in the neighbourhood and we were not disappointed. The Wifi was a little weak in the room so I made use of the computer in the lobby to do the important things, which did not take long. I would definately stay at this hotel again and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends. I went there on my boss's recommendation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Greetings,

This is a pleasure to read and thank you very much for such beautiful comments. We work very hard to make your experience at the Clarendon unforgettable.

Next time you come in our beautiful city, you will be more than welcome to stay with us.

Again, thank you very much for your time, and we hope to see you again soon.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent two nights at Hotel Clarendon & were very disappointed with our visit. The initial reception by the Concierge & Bell Boy was very welcoming although we arrived at the same time as a coach party & they were very busy. Our luggage was delivered to our room promptly. The small room had two double beds & we had booked one double room. One of the beds was up against the wall & there was very little room between the beds There was a very small window too high for me to see out of (I am 5 ft) overlooking rooftops. There was no kettle so I went down to request one in order to make a cup of tea. (There were 2 tea bags as well as coffee provided) The receptionist was extremely rude & difficult & told me to get hot water from the tap in the bathroom! I do not think her English comprehension is very good but that was irrelevant because I speak French. She did not want to know! She said I should have seen the Concierge & I told her that he was busy. I then waited to speak to him. He said I should ask at the desk! He did arrange for hot water to be sent to our room but I did not bother to ask again. We were tired on arrival but the next morning I noticed 8 long black or brown hairs on the bathroom floor. (We both have white very short hair) My husband said ' Leave it because the room will be cleaned. Do not make a fuss!') When we returned to the room later there were still 3 hairs on the floor. I picked them up & put them on a tissue & took them down to the reception desk to complain & request that housekeeping be informed. There was little reaction but later I had a telephone call apologising & saying we could not have a refund as the room had been prepaid but we would not be charged the 50$ for 2 nights car parking. When we left we filled in the comments form & stated that the room was disappointing & the state of cleanliness was not up to our standard. We did receive an email later that day offering us one free night including breakfast in a superior room. This is totally ridiculous as we will certainly not be going that way again, Canada being rather a long way from the UK! Having contacted our travel agent we were told we should have asked for a better room but we are not difficult people & do not complain. I will in future!! The staff are proud of the fact that it is the oldest hotel in Quebec & the public rooms were lovely. When we arrived there were workmen digging up the road outside the front of the hotel. The next morning the road was closed & a huge hole had been dug outside across the road. Everywhere was covered in choking dust & I think we should have been warned that this was going to take place. I would not advise anyone to stay at the Clarendon. We were asked where we had come from at our next hotel. When we said 'The Clarendon' the receptionist said she had a couple two weeks before who had not been happy with their stay there.

Room Tip: Don't book here. Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time to write a comment about our hotel.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay did not reach your expectations. The way you described the service that you have received is definetely not the one we try to provide each guest with.

Thank you so much for you stay and you can be sure that there is gonna be a follow up to make sure that a situation like this does not happen again.

Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Being my first time in Quebec City, I took a chance when choosing this hotel as I got a good price thru booking.com. LOVED this place. As a solo female traveler, it certainly exceeded my expectations. Although I spoke little to no french, the mostly young, good looking front desk and concierge staff were very friendly, polite, professional and accommodating. I really lucked out as this hotel is situated smack in the middle of Old Quebec in Upper Town....minutes from the funicular and St. Jean and St. Louis streets. The lobby was pretty and inviting. I hope the owner realizes what a gem he has with Jonathan, who went out of his way to help me many times, even after his shift was done. Similarly, Julian and the concierge staff were also very helpful and friendly. My 2nd flr. room was clean, quaint and a perfect size for a solo traveler like myself, with two large windows looking out. ( It's a shame the view was of construction; hopefully that will be gone soon.) The only con I have is the mattress was FIRM and I'm used a pillow top. Otherwise, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your review ! It is more than appreciated that you took the time to write on Tripadvisor and on our Facebook !

Our employees always do their best to make every guests special. You can be assured this wonderful comment will be forwarded to the staff. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back in our beautiful city and in our hotel !

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2013

They didn't took reservation confirmed by e-mail, on proper dates, first arriving, no room, than after waiting for ages, they sent to room not cleaned. This was arrival of brides's father to wedding...

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank CastonguayM
Thank you very much for your review.

We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced at your arrival. We hope that the little attention we gave you as well as the discount on your room rate erased some of these bad memories, and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Middlesbrough
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Positives are location, comfy beds and helpful reception staff

Negatives are very small and cramped rooms (I broke a toenail trying to get to toilet in night and my wife banged her shin on protruding metal under bed on first day), waste bins are not emptied, card lock on door traps fingers, they did not replenish toiletries daily, only one lift which is used by clients and service staff, slow and non existent service at breakfast on two out of three days

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M9498QMdavidw
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for your comment. All of them are read as they help us to provide a better service and product day after day to our guests.

I am sorry to read the room you were assigned to was not meeting your expectations. There are 143 rooms in the hotel and they are all pretty different. Regarding other inconvenience that you have experienced, you can be assured that the fallow up will be made with the concerned departments.

Finally, I am glad you have appreciated the comfort of the beds, the location and the service in general.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you will give us a second chance in a near future.