Hotel Clarendon
$373
$315
  • Restaurant
Le Manoir d'Auteuil(Quebec City)
$180
  • Bar/Lounge
$189
$184
Hilton Quebec(Quebec City)
$181
$159
  • Restaurant
Hotel Palace Royal(Quebec City)
$209
  • Pool
Auberge Aux Deux Lions(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
$149
Hotel 71(Quebec City)
$254
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Auberge Place D'Armes(Quebec City)
$188
$424
$260
Agoda.com
1,589 results
All reviewsoldest hoteljazz bargreat locationold quebeclive jazzrooms are smallcity hallchateau frontenacvalet parkingan older hotelwithin walking distanceold world charmconcierge desktwo double bedscentral locationcharming hotelhigh ceilings
Reviewed November 14, 2011

If you want to taste the flavour of the old city of Quebec then splash out for a night or two in the centre of the old quarter, as the Clarendon is right there. You won't regret it. As parking is not free, it is advisable to compare the hotel valet parking rate with the municipal underground car park, in the square, in front of the hotel ( Pedestrian underground access to the hotel ) A good English breakfast with all round excellent service from everyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seagull_IL
MgrClarendon, General Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Bonjour!

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments about your stay at Hotel Clarendon in Quebec City’s historical district. We are delighted to know that we have reached your expectations.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

If your budget does not allow you to splurge and stay at the Chateau Frontenac, then the Clarendon is an ideal choice for singles, couples and families alike on a smaller budget.

The Clarendon has been a longtime favourite of repeat, savvy visitors to Quebec City. It sits on a quiet street facing City Hall and across the street from underground municipal parking. You are moments away from the prime pedestrian cafe & street arts area as well as the Boardwalk, the "funiculaire" and numerous restaurants and stores...just to name a few of the many services that are closeby.

The rooms were renovated in the recent past and while not luxurious or large, they have all the basic amenities to keep a visitor happy. Their restaurant has a very good reputation city-wide, and on week-ends both locals & tourists can enjoy jazz in its lively piano bar which has been "swinging" for many years!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Bonjour!

Thank you for taking the time to drop theses great comments! It’s a pleasure to feel your enthusiasm about your stay.

I truly hope we will welcome you again at Hotel Clarendon, have a wonderful day!

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Just got back from a 6 night stay here & I concur with other reviewers that the hotel's location is fabulous. The Funicular, Chateau Frontenac, Musee de Fort are only a couple blocks away.

Also within walking distance are:

Simons (their department store; reasonable prices; for those nights where you need an 'emergency' going-out outfit; ladies, you know what I'm talking about), a couple of cute Christmas boutiques, and if you want souveneirs made specifically in Quebec, you must drop by "La Boutique Artisans Canada.

The usual suspects: McDonald's (okay, I didn't go all the way to Quebec to eat there...but my flight flew in late & it was the only thing I could find in a pinch), Subway, Starbucks (at the Frontenac).

For Quebec specifics I went to:
Chez Ashton (to fill my poutine cravings; they're open late) and La Paillard; they have fabulous morning croissants.

Additional notes:

I found the staff friendly & approachable. Always got a pleasant 'bonjour' whenever I was walking in. Front desk was nice enough to call a cab for me when I was checking out at 5 in the morning.

I stayed in room 406 overlooking the courtyard (& the church next door) & never came across any noise issues that some of the reviews have mentioned. I did bring earplugs just in case, but never had to use them.

I noticed a couple of reviewers weren't happy about the size of their rooms; mine was a standard double & it suited me just fine (I booked through hotels.com). (Trust me, you don't know "small" until you've stayed at some of the hotels in London -- literally a wall wrapped around a bed: but that didn't bother me when I was there either so I guess it's more personal preference.)

The housekeeping team is FAST. I was in & out a lot, but my room was always cleaned anytime I made a return trip. I ran into them a lot in the hall and in the elevators and they were very friendly.

I was worried about the WIFI before coming here, but it worked like a charm on both my devices: the Kindle & an old internet tablet; I think it dropped me twice the entire week I was there, but it never took long for me to reconnect again.

The amenities come as advertised: coffee maker (with 2 teabags and 2 coffee packets- if you used them it gets replaced the next day so that there were always 2 of each on hand), tv (tube with cable; some in French, some in English), iron/ironing board, ice bucket & the usual bathroom accessories (hairdryer, shampoo, soap, shower cap, etc.)

I also felt that this was a safe neighborhood. I ventured out at all hours of the day (something I don't even do in my own hometown - New York) and never felt that it wasn't.

As mentioned earlier, I booked through hotels.com, so my room was pre-paid. I’d suggest you book through the hotel’s website directly, though. As are most hotels’ policies, you’re required to leave a credit card number for incidental charges….what I didn’t know was that they placed a “hold” on the card for the amount that was already used when I “pre-paid” the room. The “hold” was credited back to my account as promised…..thought I should mention that, so, don’t worry, you’re not being “double-charged”.

All in all: good value, great location, and I look forward to staying here again when I come back to Quebec.

Au revoir!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Margaret L
MgrClarendon, General Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Reviewed November 7, 2011

The only way have a more convenient location would be an RV driven to each site you want to visit.
So many sights are only minutes away, except for the Art Deco “Price” building which is next door. Restaurants, shops, the Chateau Frontenac, the Terrace, the Tourist Information Center, the “Breakneck Stairs” and the Funicular are less than 10 minutes away. A block away is a very convenient convenience store open until 11pm.
Also only a few minutes away from the side entrance is Aux Anciens Canadiens restaurant highly recommended by the hotel and well worth the praise. Its signage says “ A Welcoming Home since1675 ” ( in that very house). Fairly expensive, they have a daily special served until 5:45pm (make reservations early) which is a real bargain at 19.50CAD for 3 courses and a glass of wine or beer. After 5:45pm there are other dining options. The ground floor has a bar if waiting, a dining room with typical low ceiling and a working fireplace, seating maybe 40 people (mostly 2s & 4s). Extremely popular, the service is excellent but by no means do they rush you. It can get quite warm in the dining room, so dress in layers.
The Clarendon Hotel was created in 1870, which makes it older than the Chateau Frontenac (1900). It still retains some of the early features which I found quite charming. I was lucky enough to get room 422, which overlooks the garden in front of City Hall and City Hall itself. Completely renovated and furnished in a simple style, the room has a double bed, 2 end tables w/lamps, 1 bureau/tv stand, 32” lcd tv, round table with coffee/tea maker w/supplies, and an upholstered hassock for luggage. Lots of drawer space but only a very small closet, which I think would be tight for down jackets, etc. The bathroom has all new fixtures chosen for an “old” look, including a pedestal sink. One double-glazed window with luxe draperies & swags, and electrified wall sconces complete the décor. I was traveling as a single, so the room was fine for me, but I would suggest asking for a larger room for two, even though the very high ceilings made it feel quite large. (see my photos)
The entrance is always well looked after by the Concierge Desk and porters, all of whom (Gabriel, Charles, Raphael, Eddy, etc.) are very attentive and helpful with sightseeing info, dining recommendations and reservations. Taxis are just a phone call away.
The front desk (probably the original metal and woodwork) personnel quickly check guests in and out. ALL the front office staff speak perfect English. The entrance to the hotel is one step up from the sidewalk and then a short flight of stairs to the lobby level. I don’t believe the hotel is wheelchair accessible.
The lobby has a guest area with sofas and comfortable chairs for a casual chat or meeting place before dinner. There is an attractive dining room off the main lobby, as well as a jazz café and bar, all on the lobby floor.
I got a really good rate for my room, 356USD for 3 nights, no breakfast, which is cheap in QC for a 4* hotel single.
I fully enjoyed my stay at The Clarendon Hotel and highly recommend it. The staff always had time to chat, the halls were always clear, 2 elevators for guests, the lobby seating was great for people watching, and computer access is free in the lobby……………….

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NYCcruiser

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night in September prior to taking a Maritime/New England cruise. We had stayed at this hotel a few years ago, we loved our stay then and very much enjoyed our overnight stay this time as well. It is ideally located right in the centre of Old Quebec City,close to everything. It is a very old hotel,I believe the oldest in Quebec City. We had a room facing onto the inside courtyard
and it was a very small room but very clean. The breakfast is excellent , a good assortment of choices.Staff are very courteous and helpful.
Overall,highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
MgrClarendon, General Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011