“Great Jazz & Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #39 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Jazz & Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

The "standard double room" we booked was tiny but with only two small overnight bags and a plan to be outdoors most of the time the room size wasn't a great concern. However, "double" means just that, a double bed (not queen or king size); the bathroom sink and toilet were set into very narrow spaces and in my opinion may cause difficulties for those among us of portly proportions (room 227). If you're two adults with two suitcases and you plan to spend downtime in your room then I suggest booking a superior room. The room does come with free wifi and tea/coffee making equipment which is a plus. The room also faced the inner courtyard/other rooms but that kept it cooler - you can open the windows - and with the aircon being noisy we couldn't leave it on through the night. The hotel's jazz nights are fantastic, the lobby/bar/restaurant are very attractive, the hotel is in a great location just beside chateau fronternac, lots of history & lots of restaurants, the staff are helpful, cocktails are reasonably priced and if you're visiting QC to see QC and you just want a place to rest your head in the old town then there's nothing wrong with Clarendon.

2 Thank Ohjustpeachy
MgrClarendon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Bonjour!

Thank your for your comment. Hotel Clarendon is operating since 1870, so due to it historical architecture, you are right to mention that some of our rooms are smaller, but like you suggest, we have some superior rooms that are spacious and have effectively a great view of Quebec City. I’m please to feel that you enjoy our unique Jazz nights, our location right in the middle of the historical district and especially our staff.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.
Have a great day!

Line

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Eunice, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

If you had to hand pick the best place to be in Old Town Quebec it would have to be where the Hotel Clarendon is, and if you stay on the upper floors you have the best views in the town. The hotel was recently redone and you can tell by the crisp paintjob and updated ammenities. The staff was the friendliest you would want to meet. I felt I had been there before and was treated like a special guest. If I had to find something wrong with the hotel the only thing I can think of was the bed was a little on the hard side and the a/c unit was a little inconsistant in keeping its temperature.
Great place, great stay!

Room Tip: Pick above 3rd floor and a view of the front entrance side.
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comment! It’s a pleasure to feel your enthusiasm about your stay, especially about our staff!

I truly hope we will welcome you again at Hotel Clarendon, have a wonderful day!

joyous10
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

the location was amazing walking distance to most sites...rooms were tiny but it's to be expected in a historic hotel...staff was amazing especially cleaning...valet parking was outrageously expensive the front desk did suggest another location but I was told to speak to the concierge and when I did he claimed to have no info how is that possible? I think he knew they would lose their tip for 3 nites it cost us almost 90 dollars.

Room Tip: we should have asked for a room with a view but our mistake so make sure you ask
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comment. First, let me apologize for the confusion regarding the parking fees. The correct information you should have receive would have been that the parking fees are 25 $ per night, (plus taxes), with or without valet service, in and out privileges. The underground parking we use is Quebec City’s parking, since it's connected to our building. In a second time, it’s great to know that our staff and our location right in the middle of old Quebec made your transit at Hotel Clarendon a pleasant one!

Claremont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

My peronal computer was of greater use than this hotel's conceirge and front desk staff. In addition, we found the staff useless, uninformed and unpleasant. I don't recall having an attendent open a door or greet us as we passed their desk. Perhaps management should stop recruiting out of high school. Our "superior queen deluxe" room was misrepresented and no larger than my closet. We chose not to dine in the hotel restaurant. The only positive is the location.

Needless to say, I will not rebook this property.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed for four nights in August 2011. Hotel is well located for all parts of old Quebec. We booked a superior room and were disappointed with size of room. Although it was clean and the bed comfortable, there was little storage space with only two small drawers. One small window with no worthwhile view. We asked to change to a room more in keeping with what we thought we had booked and I am still waiting for reception to get back to me on that. So we ended up with most of our luggage draped over backs of chairs etc for the duration. The bathroom was another matter, it was huge with his and her basins and a bath-come-jacuzzi but we didn’t visit Quebec to spend our time in the bathroom. The Wi-Fi didn’t extend to 7th floor and no safe deposit box in room (free to store documents in reception). Free internet in reception.

Having said all that I have to acknowledge that the public rooms very much lived up to expectations and it was a delight eating in the dining room if just for the ambiance. In a hotel with the history of the Clarendon you can forgive all the quirks, in fact you relish them due to the history of the building. The only meal we took at the hotel was breakfast, which was a buffet, nothing cooked to order. The selection available and quality were fine.

Would stay at this hotel again if I could have confidence that the room is going to have somewhere to put my luggage when I unpacked.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Josiane T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your comment. All of them are read as they help us to provide a better service and product day after day to our guests.

I am sorry to read the room you were assigned to was not meeting your expectations. I want to let you know that we have only 3 rooms on our last floor and, you are right, they are very different than the 139 other rooms. They are categorized in the superior category as they were renovated not too long ago.

I apologize if you have experienced problems with the internet connection during your stay but I am happy to let you know that we have just upgraded our service.

Finally, I am glad you have appreciated the atmosphere and décor of the oldest hotel in Quebec. I would be happy to personally make your reservation when you will be planning your next trip to Quebec city. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Clarendon in September 2010.

The hotel was very quaint and cozy and quiet appropriate for what you would expect when travelling to such a historic place like Quebec city. Our room was a little small but quite clean and well kept. We had a nice view of the river the oval window in our room.

We dined in the restaurant in the lobby. We were quite satisfied with our meals.

We would definitely return as the hotel met all our needs. Also, it is located in a great place. Once you walk out the door you are in the heart of Old Quebec. You can park your car and never use it for the duration of your stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roadgirl
Josiane T, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Hello,

It was a pleasure to read your comment. I am glad the Clarendon met all of your expectations regarding the location, comfort, cleanliness... I will definitely pass on your kind words to the employees who work really hard to make sure our guests enjoy every seconds of their stay in Quebec city.

We hope to be part of your itinerary for your next trip to Quebec city!

Have a wonderful day,

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel was gorgeous and it was in an EXCELLENT location. You are within walking distance to all of the major attractions as well as some great shops and restaurants.
The people who worked at the front desk were amazing and incredibly friendly and helpful.

The one complaint I do have involves the restaurant.

a) we went to Jazz night on a Saturday night, which was a good time but the waitress was very rude. She overcharged us for our non-alcoholic drinks and refused to listen when we tried to point out that they were less expensive than alcoholic drinks (I think 9 dollars for a pop is a little bit outrageous).

b) We were not going to eat there but we were caught up in a huge storm brought on by the effects of hurricane Irene. We had to run back to the hotel (people were being blown over by the wind and rain and we were told to get back to the hotel because it was extremely dangerous to be outside in the storm).
Because of the storm basically the entire city shut down and we did not get to eat supper before it hit. Upon getting back to the hotel and going down to the restaurant (overpriced but the only food option on the vicinity...they do not even have a chip machine) we were..quite rudely turned away from the resturant because we did not have a reservation. The man simply told us we needed to reserve a spot, turned and walked away.
We called the restaurant when we got back up to our room to inquire about getting supper that night and the woman who answered told us that we MIGHT be able to get in at 9 that night. We asked her if she needed our name but she had apparently put down the phone as we heard talking and laughing on the other end but no response to us.
We went hungry that night.

The treatment we recieved from employees of the restaurant in Hotel Clarendon were without a doubt the rudest people we encountered on our trip to Quebec.

However, that being said. I DO recommend the Hotel Clarendon. But I suggest staying far away from that restaurant!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hello,

First of all, I am extremely sorry we were unable to welcome you at the Charles Baillairgé that night. I am sure you will understand that this is not a kind of event that happens frequently but your comment is appreciated and will, for sure, be taken seriously.

A letter was mailed to you this week. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss.

We would love to welcome you again at the Clarendon.