“Always something new.”

Ranked #14 of 219 things to do in Quebec City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This museum is characterized by its innovative and daring outlook. It defines itself as a seat of knowledge and ideas, a museum endowed with valuable collections, an education centre and a living memory. It is located in the region's capital, Quebec City, in the heart of an historic district and close to Place Royale.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Current Greek exhibit was of no interest when I first looked into it. Having a raining day, decided to visit. Glad I did, took a tour in English and this was a great highlight to the exhibit. Headsets are used so no need to try to listen to the guide over people. The guide had a good knowledge and wanted to share. The Musee does a great job with displaying exhibits and creates interest through cases, lighting and other features not done in many other museums.

There are newer reviews for Musee de la Civilisation

Reviewed July 30, 2014

The TripAdvisor listing says there is no fee, but it actually is substantial - $15 for adults (though I found a coupon after I got back to the cruise ship that I could have used if I'd seen it earlier). I was there to see the Greek & Roman sculpture from Berlin, which will be there through March 2015. I also had time to see the Haiti (leaving soon) and Times of Quebec exhibitions.

The Masters of Olympus exhibition isn't particularly large, but it is well presented, and the works, while not all that distinguished by, say British Museum standards, are vastly better than any Greek & Roman sculpture in my hometown of Seattle. They are hoping to lure in kids who enjoy the Percy Jackson series, so the wall texts are aimed at a very popular level. These included an absolutely marvelous family tree of the Olympian gods that showed which ones were Zeus's siblings, which his offspring by which females, and so forth. I had never seen the information organized like that before & thought it was brilliant. There were large sculptures of each of the major deities and smaller works of art - vases, reliefs, etc. - depicting other aspects of the Olympian cult. I especially liked the giant foot at the opening of the exhibition.

The Haiti exhibition was intriguing - I won't say more since it is closing soon - and the Times of Quebec is overstuffed with artifacts I sadly didn't have enough time for, but it did point up how little we Americans know about Canadian history. Very interesting and colorful. I wished I had had time to go into the gift shop & ask for a book to follow up on what I had learned. There were also several exhibits I didn't have a chance to see - I believe you could easily spend most of the day here.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family and I have been to many museums across Canada, USA, Europe and Turkey. This museum is disappointing to say the least. The Haiti exhibit is dark and disturbing and not worthy of any attention. The Quebec history is underwhelming . Considering quebec's rich history I expected more. The treasure from Greco-Roman collections not worth seeing. The rest of the museum we did not see as we didn't feel it would get any better. Don't waste your time or money.

1  Thank Therese F
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Loved all the diverse exhibits and the monumental architecture. It can be packed with kids so I recommend a school day visit

Reviewed July 27, 2014

It is a museum appropriate for both kids and adults. Exhibits were in both English and French. We took two tours in English for both the Greek exhibit and the one on the History of Quebec. Both tour guides were excellent and were happy to answer questions. My son (13 years old) was over the moon with the Animation exhibit. We had lunch at the café which was excellent!