“Beautiful as Ever, but Where is the Door?”

Basilique Cathedrale - Notre-Dame-de-Quebec
Book In Advance
More Info
$23.48*
and up
Quebec City Walking Tour
Ranked #7 of 211 things to do in Quebec City
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous 17th-century cathedral has been restored several times but still provides visitors with an ambiance of centuries past.
Quebec City, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful as Ever, but Where is the Door?”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I brought my Brazilian friends to visit the Cathedral on Christmas day, and I was flabbergasted to not be able to find the one main attraction for the year: the only Holy Door outside of Europe! It should be better indicated. On the plus side, the site is always well-maintained and absolutely lovely.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A must see for every visiter to Québec”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

From the second you walk in, you can just sense the history of the place. Reminded me of many of the churches I had seen in Europe.

1 Thank Jesse M
Atlanta, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Moving!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This church is so beautiful. The baroque detail is amazing. Very peaceful and spirit filled. We attended mass twice here. Mass was in French but we did not mind. The high mass was beautiful with a fantastic choir.

1 Thank Katherine2627
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Absolutely Beautiful and Priviledge to Attend.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The oldest Cathedral in North America at 350 years old and truly a work of Art. We attended Mass on Sunday and did not care that I did not understand the Mass content. Great Cantor and beautiful inteior. The gold inlay centerpiece was majestic and not gaudy as can be the case with older Cathedrals in Spain. Beautiful Art and Stain Glass. They allowed us to see and touch the recent addition of their Holy Door from the inside sactuary due to the snowy weather outside (I understood it is one of 8 in the world and only one in North America)

3 Thank Chilidogtraveler823
montreal
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Graffiti finally cleaned!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Some time ago I wrote a review of the church in which I stated that I was disappointed that graffiti on the side of the church was not cleaned for what seemed like years. Well, I must report that I was recently there at the end of December and to my joy the offensive graffiti has been removed!