“Luxury and comfort even if you can't quite afford it”

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
Ranked #15 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Luxury and comfort even if you can't quite afford it”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Viewed from one angle, Le Chateau is set in a touristic madhouse of shops and crowds. But sit in the back on the boardwalk and gaze up at the breathtaking architecture –– and it's a whole other story.

Unfortunately, at some point you do need to enter the hotel and the lobby is not the relaxing oasis you might have expected. As other reviewers have commented, there are a lot of tourists milling about. True, this Fairmont doesn't exude the refined air of exclusivity that you'll find at some of the other properties. I advise: just go in and out quickly, thinking about your great room and the gorgeous architecture and you'll survive. It's in the middle of the tourist district –– and chances are, you're a tourist yourself –– so what can you do.

Our check-in was gracious and efficient. In fact, they have an electronic pre-check-in feature that I particularly appreciated. I received an email while en route, informing me that my room was ready and inquiring how I was traveling to Quebec. I answered "by train." I received a response email that it was only about 15-minute walk from the train station, but uphill. That was important information; if we hadn’t known, we would have walked uphill, along narrow streets of cobblestone [yes, that’s an homage], so crowded with people that –– as we’d learn –– it was challenge to negotiate even without luggage.

(I also want to mention the entire reservation process –– which for me involved several phone calls and emails –– was gracious and efficient as well.)

We had a room with a river view on the 7th floor (the uppermost floor for the lower-priced tier). Our room and everything in it was lovely.

Housekeeping staff met my several requests immediately: extra hangers; a magnifying mirror (which was actually too good; ladies, you know what I mean); extra writing paper.

Some reviewers have commented on the small size of the rooms. I suppose our room was on the small side compared with more expensive rooms in the hotel, but I would not describe it as small. There was space for the queen bed with room to walk all around it; a bureau; desk and desk chair; and an upholstered chair with ottoman. There was plenty of space in the middle of the room to bring out the chairs, pull out the ironing board and play cards on it -- or iron some clothes, I guess. Outlets galore. Big windows that actually open –– wide. Functional, quiet air conditioning. Fitness note: there was a detailed map of six jogging paths in the desk. I loved that the “Do Not Disturb” door knob hanger has on the reverse a line drawing of a housekeeper with duster and vacuum. You can hang it on the door at the appropriate time and remove the guess-work from the occasion.

I stretched my pocketbook to stay at this luxury hotel –– as I am wont to do when there is a Fairmont in a town I'm visiting. I paid $280 to stay in this hotel where the best rooms are $800 and up. What I got in return was: attentive, friendly service; a nice gym (though not spectacular) that actually did have a spectacular locker room offering all kinds of amenities; beautiful furnishings, carpet and curtains my room; good quality amenities; writing paper and envelopes; plenty of surface space in the room and bathroom; a rooftop space to relax on padded chaise lounges or at cafe tables; a swimming pool (which I actually didn't use); umbrellas on loan (and it was pouring); concierge service. And every employee who walked by me in the halls greeted me with, "Bonjour." The stay was not inexpensive, but I never had to worry about feeling comfortable. In fact, I felt it was a pamper.

Tip: this hotel is enormous. If you're going to be in a hurry and/or if you don't appreciate the grandeur as you walk down the long hallways, you should probably request a room near the elevator.

The only area about which I was not unreservedly happy was the uneven concierge service, which ranged from warm and enthusiastic to businesslike.

My husband and I like to get off the beaten path; walk or take a bus and get to know the city; eat casual where the locals eat; and participate in local activities. We were lucky to be assisted by two concierges who understood and referred us accordingly, but several others did not get it all. One sent us to fine dining right in the central tourist area; another to a fast food sandwich shop hidden in a mini-mall.

[We never did get out of the parameters of the tourist map, but some of our favorite spots were near the edges: Cartier Street for walking and restaurants, on the way to or from the gorgeous Plains of Abraham park; summer outdoor concert series at the park; Café Sirocco and Chez Victor (for great burgers). Breakfast near-ish the hotel at Le Cochon Dingue.]

Be aware: any place you go from the hotel to … anywhere is going to be a hike. Most places we went were a few miles round trip, but the way back was a climb. Be prepared!

In short: The Hotel Le Chateau Frontenac is a beautiful hotel that manages to keep its regal bearing, plunked down as it is in a manic, teeming tourist area. Although I was at the low budget end of the spectrum, I felt I was staying in a luxury hotel environment.

Room Tip: River view. Near elevator if you don't like walking long hallways.
Green Features: The Fairmont's I've stayed in –– this one included –- have very footprint-heavy plastic amenity bottles that practically require waste. Their design makes it impossible to squeeze all the product out and there is no way to remove the lid.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Travel_LadyNYC
Genevieve_Parent, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Travel_LadyNYC,
Thank you for this very detailed review of your recent stay at the Chateau Frontenac. We are delighted you enjoyed your experience and were able to enjoy so much of the city. You clearly are a very passionate traveler and your review will be very helpful in assiting future visitors to Quebec City. Thank you for taking time to share feedback with us and we hope to welcome you again on your next visit.
PR Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Quebec City and had the pleasure of staying at the Le Chateau Frontenac. The hotel has a lot of old world character, the staff was friendly and helpful and the location cannot be beat for exploring the old city. Our room had a lovely view of the St. Lawrence. The room itself was on the small size but we had expected this and is in keeping with the European feel. We used the hotel's valet parking and found it to be somewhat expensive and at one time had to wait over 30 minutes for our car (they forgot about us). If you join the Fairmont President's Club you can use the WIFI for free during your stay as well as earn points towards a frequent flier account of your choice. It seems as though they are still going through some remodeling but it did not impact our stay in any way. All in all it's a beautiful property, perfectly located and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a city or river view or you might end up looking at a brick wall.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BelovedMango
Dear BelovedMango,
Thank you for this wonderful feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel. We sincerely apologize for the additional wait with our valet service and hope it did not incur any problems. Thank you for taking time to share feedback and we hope you visit us again in a near future.
Harlow, Essex
Reviewed August 2, 2014

As hotels go, this one looks outstanding! Towering over the old town of Quebec, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Its location could not be better, it is right in the centre of things. There is the harbour, shops and restaurants all within spitting distance of the hotel.
As you would expect, it is all orientated for the tourists, but that is what we were and we enjoyed the experience of it all.
We only stayed two nights at the hotel and decided to upgrade to the 'Gold Level' which would give us a room with a 'view' and use of the 'Gold Lounge' that provided 'free' tea, coffee and small snacks. The room did not really come up to expectations. The views were somewhat limited, due to the fact that the building is based on a castle type of construction, with small restricted windows. So do not expect large picture windows when booking rooms with a view. Our room, 8129 was OK, but the furnishing was not as classy as I had expected and the bathroom was very small.
We went up to try the 'Gold Lounge' and that was also a disappointment. I had hoped for the extra money we had paid, that at least one glass of wine or beer would be included, but it was not. Feeling dissatisfied with the package we had upgraded too, we went to reception to see if they could offer an alternative. After some discussions, we agreed to settle for an arrangement wherein, breakfast would be included within our room rate.
With respect to breakfast, the restaurant area's are beautiful and it is obvious that much attention has been spent on the details to the appearance and ambiance of the place. However, it is a shame that did not more attention to the basic running of the restaurant. On the two mornings we had breakfast there, I had several reasons to complain. There was no milk, no decaf tea, no bread for toast, when we got bread there was no cloth to wrap the bread whilst cutting it. The toaster took forever. It wasn't toast, it was like a dried out cracker! And our waitress had attitude, which you do not need when your paying a great deal of money to be there.
I would suggest that rather than spending their time making fancy dishes such as quails eggs and mousse, that they get the basics right first.
For such a large hotel, the swimming pool is rather small. However, when we used it, there was only a few people using it, so it was fine. We used the sun deck, which was quiet and there were just enough loungers for those of us there. There was no shady area's and once the sun covered the whole sun deck area, I decided to call it a day. Some umbrellas or fixed shade would be nice for those of us who want to lounge, but wish to avoid the sun.
We tried the 'Cheese & Wine' bar one evening. It does lack ambiance and does not have that cozy feel. Too business like for my taste.
All in all, a great hotel where I would stay again, but I would have breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: Join the Presidents Club and get Free WiFi.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carpace
Dear Carpace,
Thank you for taking time to share feedback of your recent stay. Customer feedback is truly appreciated as it helps us improve our service and offerings, thus your feedback will be shared with our teams and will be of great assistance. In regards to your Fairmont Gold room, they have now been relocated to our highest floors of the main tower following the completion of our renovations. On your next visit, you can expect to have a Fairmont Gold room with stunning views of the river or city. Once again thank you for this valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you again.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Fairmont hotels are traditional, and well appointed with excellent restaurants. The newly refurbished rooms are lovely unless you are in one with no views at all except the prep kitchen window below. We have four windows and no view from even one!!

Sam, the newest Bistro is disappointing at best. They try to use iPads for the wine, but they are so slow there is no way to move through the list. I had to point out to the sommelier that Stella Blonde means light beer. He should know that.
We ordered the Halibut, and I truly could not find it on the plate under the lettuce. I don't like large portions , but this was miniscule. We ordered the grilled vegetable salad to share and it was the best part of the meal.
The music is loud and awful. Who chose it? Does not fit the clientele at all. What we love about Fairmonts is the ability to have dinner in the hotel and not have to worry about driving.
Luckily we can walk to many other restaurants in the city. We will not eat at Sam again.
I hope they change the menu.

Room Tip: Ask for river view not in cornet wifi is free for Presidents Club. Big plus.
Green Features: Very enviro friendly. This is not important to me when choosing a luxury hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gfgirl33548
Dear gfgirl33548,
Thank you for taking time to share feedback of your recent stay and specifically regarding your experience at Le Sam bistro. We truly appreciate this feedback as it will help us improve the overall experience and food offering of our newly opened restaurant. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on your next Quebec visit.
North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I accompanied my husband on a business trip, and there were a total of about 100 people. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The hotel has undergone remodeling in the bars and restaurants, as well as rooms on the side closest to the St. Lawrence. (from what I was told by those who had visited before). Our wing had not yet been remodeled, but was still ok. It takes time to remodel something as massive as this. The prices are high in the bar, but it is surrounded by shops, restaurants, and bars aplenty. It sits atop the original fort and the terrace allows you to see the original basement of the structure. The lift to the lower basin is right outside of the hotel, as well as the steps. On good weather days there is entertainment on the terrace, such as acrobatics. The Parliament, ferry, Citadel, and most everything is within walking distance.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank grits4
Dear grits4,
Thank you for taking time to post a review of your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed the experience and were able to take advantage of our wonderful location within the historic walled city. Thank you for taking time to post a review and we hope to welcome you again.
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were scheduled to stay in QC for 5 days possibly 8 if we enjoyed ourselves after avery very long trip. I have no issue splurging on a hotel @ $400 a night if it's worth it- and I've been very loyal to Fairmont for a long long time. Failmont- you missed out on a huge piece of business .... not that you care of course because the number of guests coming through arrive in droves. Perhaps after reading this in your slower months your guests will consider staying elsewhere.

24 hours prior to arrival you, the guests are asked to check in via online and provide your arrival time. Done.

We arrive later than expected. As we were checking in, we were told the room was not ready. We say ok .... We'll wait..great! We get to our room after walking around for 1.5 hours. After a long drive we wanted to rest .... and we did. We were so tired we didn't request our luggage held at concierge - we were exhausted.

45 minutes later I head to the bathroom .... I asked Hubby if he had a shower .... Hmmmm? No says he ....

I ask if he retrieved the luggage ... No again ...

I began laughing .... I ask if he just brought his tooth brush ?

Ummmmm NOoooooOo!!!

Bathroom had previous guests empty toothbrush and paste on the sink .... Empty shower bottles, shampoo, and used soap in a hair filled shower with towels hanging about.

I understand .... I travel a lot - sometimes this happens. But how does a room get half cleaned at THIS EXPENSIVE HOTEL??????

Head down stairs to concierge - great action oriented .... Manager Kristen comes ... After 30 mins ..... I get another room .... Fine ... Entire process is 40 mins. I go to the room to check on it ..... It's unmade .... I was assured it was clean!

Backtrack to the lobby AGAIN ..... Wait for another room .... Constantly told rooms are sold out..... I don't care !!!!! I just want a clean room!

Get another room on another floor ...... Great! ... For someone who does a lot of business travel I was glad to see the room was clean.

Noooooo - doesn't stop there.

A) Want to take a shower?

NO ROBES

B) As a business traveller- need to make a phone call? PHONE DOESN'T WORK

C) Want to open the drawer to the desk since there is virtually no storage in the room and every drawer counts to put files into - BROKEN HANDLE CAN"T OPEN IN- when you do- handle is in the drawer.

WANT TO TAKE A SHOWER?

PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR SKIN BURNED WHEN THE TAP COMES OFF THE WALL!!!!!

Yes- PR people of this hotel - READ THIS- we couldnt turn the scolding water off and had to run down to the front desk to get maintenance to fix it.

I appreciate the response times to my issues and the 50$ rebate on my room but this really ruined a long weekend for me that would have earned you a couple thousand dollars. I left the following morning.

Thank you for the waste of time and effort and my having to find another place on the long weekend. WHEN NOTHING WAS AVAILABLE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't face the river very noisy in summer Rooms are very small Check to ensure that you...
Green Features: Enviro? Wasted packaging in much of the hotels rooms where the snacks are concerned -Bottled water ... Harsh cleaning chemicals use to clean rooms .... Plastic bags laundry ...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
13 Thank 587Taka
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear 587Taka,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor. Our guest feedback is both valued and welcome, and I thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the areas that require improvement.
I was most concerned to learn that you were disappointed with your stay with us and I cannot apologize enough for the inconveniences you experienced. It was obviously not up to the standards you have come to expect from our brand and I am truly sorry we have failed to meet your expectations. We are looking at actions to correct the situation and ensure what you have been throught will not occur again.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further at frederic.pare@fairmont.com
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac is a lovely old-world hotel, but many amenities that come free with other hotels have a charge here. WiFi is paid here, but if you join the Fairmont President's Club you get free WiFi for the length of your stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian L
Dear Brian L,
Thank you for taking time to post a review and sharing this great tip about our Fairmont President's Club loyalty program. We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Quebec City.