“Creative dining away from the main tourist street”
Review of Le Patriarche - CLOSED

Le Patriarche
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Saint Jean
Description: Nestled in the heart of Old Quebec near the Saint-Jean Gate, with its 4 diamonds,the Patriarche beckons with its intimate setting and the refined decor of a beautiful, circa 1827 stone house. Inside, you'll discover that good things come in threes, as executive chef Stephane Roth shares his creativity with his celebrated "trilogies from the terroir"
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We were surprised not to find this restaurant already listed on tripadvisor after two very nice meals here recently.

We thought the cuisine here to be inventive and full of flavour. Each course is driven by a main ingredient, around which the chef creates three small dishes. The lobster starter was consistently delicious, although the scallop trio sometimes overpowered by its accompaniments. The game main courses were excellently prepared both times, while the halibut cheeks as part of the trio of fish was surprising and very tasty.

The atmosphere is warm, quiet and very food-focused and the wine list reasonable, although a little disappointing on the price value side.

Minus-points: The perfect service of our first visit was sadly dampened on our 2nd visit by an extraordinarily loud waiter who did, however, provide some amusement with the scene he made about tips. The prices do vary widely between dishes (and therefore between table d'hotes, which cost $22 more than whichever main course you select), and depending on which exact dishes, offer more or less value for money.

Reviewed September 10, 2009

This outstanding restaurant offers each item three ways, beautifully presented and perfectly prepared. The owner was our server, an added treat. M. Colin knows his wines, his business and his city! We ordered an appetizer to share, the Claw meat and Yukon Gold potato, Lobster tartare in fennel jelly with bisque foam Lobster medallion, beet and raspberry chutney.This dish speaks for itself. The meal was preceeded by a taste of fish with a complex mixture of seasonings and vegetables and the first course was followed by a sherbet of watermelon and basil. We usually order 2 main dishes to share but the Fisherman's plate of Monkfish osso bucco with citrus fruit. Halibut cheek with pak choy. and Jumbo shrimp with butternut squash purée sounded too good to hand the plate over so we each ordered one. Wow! Each of the 3 preparations were exceptional! We reluctantly passed up dessert but our dinner ended with rich chocolate candy squares. This was one of those restaurants that could merit a return trip to a city just to get another chance to eat amazing food and drink excellent wine. the restaurant itself is small and pretty, lively without being noisy.

3  Thank 2francophile
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Le Patriarche is a full dining experience. I have been a few times over the past few years and it seems to get better and more self-assured. Be prepared, it is not cheap. There may be simple menus presented, but the main affair is five services. The principal parts (starter, main and dessert) are typically trios (triples of smallish combinations). They are all elegant and at the high end of the exploratory cuisine (over the boundary into foodie territory in some cases). Yes, the place is in a charming old stone building, but don't come for a tourist view of old Québec culture. This is an example of Québec leading the food world, and outdoing the French (something they do more than they might imagine). Service is attentive, accurate, and refined (not excessive). They will valet park if you arrive by car, though it is a walk from most of the city.

2  Thank Nix_on_the_road
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We wanted a local restaurant to sample wild game at. This was the mission. We've been in QC for about 4 days, and walked past so many places... this one seemed just right. The MaitreD was very kind and gave us a table after apologizing that we had to wait five minutes (this was a busy saturday evening, and we had no reservation!). Definitely order the Table D'hote. Amuse bouche of pheasant, and then we were off! Everything comes in threes, so you get to keep your taste buds happy and busy. I ordered the soup of the day (clever celery and leek, with a mousse of bacon "crouton" floating in the middle). Appetizer was scallops for me (Thai lime with cucumber milk/ grilled with watercress sauce/ seared with caremelized wafer and cauliflower puree) and wild boar for my husband (smoked, grilled, roasted). Then a granite (whew! cleanse the palette- mango, pineapple... so refreshing!). I had the caribou main course (stewed with jeruselem artichoke and pink peppercorns, seared tenderloin, and rib chop with mashed blue potatoes and blueberry gravy) and husband had "wild game trilogy" with venison steak, pheasant breast, and bison tenderloin. I got the "sugar shack" maple-inspired dessert selection, while my husband got a selection of pineapple coconut bites. A fine truffle at the end... mmmm!
I have been to many countries all over the world, and the service here was superb. It was formal without being cold, prompt, proper, kind, and there was a little humor too :) The waiter was eager to help with recommendations, and our water glasses were always refilled (this seems a no-brainer in the USA, but in QC we have had a really hard time with this, even in other high-end restaurants-- I get so sick of asking, and they forget, etc.)
Basically, I will probably plan another trip to QC, and will definitely make a reservation for this restaurant. Absolutely superb!

2  Thank omegathree
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My wife and I went here for our first year wedding anniversary. We had walked by this restaurant many many times and never really paid attention. Well we should have!!!

As soon as you enter the atmosphere is very welcoming with the old stone walls and an intimate setting.

Our service was the best I have experienced in quite some time. Our waitress gave us the impression that she truly cared about our experience and not just about getting a good tip at the end.

The menu is outstanding, and we had a lot of trouble deciding on what to order. The beauty of this place is that the chef does everything in "trilogy". Whatever you order comes to you in 3 small portions cooked differently and presented beautifully.

We both had a table d'hote of 5 services. For a starter we both ordered the lobster plate. This included a flavorful dark brown lobster bisque, accompanied by a lobster medallion surrounded with leeks. The 3rd item was a shrimp tempura with hints of citrus served on endive lettuce with some fresh baby greens. Each individual item was spectacular, and as our server mentioned "this was only the beginning".

We eagerly awaited the 2nd course, my wife had scallops and I had swordfish. The scallops included a wellington scallop, a grilled scallop served on black pudding and cirtus sauce, and a 3rd dish of smoked scallop pieces on the best pickled beets I ever tasted. These were all very good and all of the flavors complemented each other beautifully. The swordfish trio was absolutely incredible. It included a piece of grilled swordfish with a mustard onion sauce, a swordfish tartate surrounded by smoked swordfish, and a swordfish carpaccio. I could have had a whole meal composed of these three lovely items.

For the 3rd course we received a granite of blueberries and mint. What a way to clean the pallet!! They should open up a shop on rue St.Jean that serves various granite flavors, this would be a summertime hit the likes of tutto gelato(best gelato in the city by the way).

For the main course I ordered lamb and my wife had the game platter, with 3 different local meats. At this point it goes without saying but both were amazing. The game platter consisted of a phesant breast, a bison tenderloin and a piece of unbelievably tender boar meat served on a red wine poached pear. WOW! The lamb included a small rack encrusted with spice, a lamb salad of sorts with couscous, and lamb tenderloin with mushrooms and artichokes. Unreal!

Desert was yet to come! My wife had the death by chocolate, which included a dark chocolate cake, white chocolate ice cream, and a molten chocolate cake that contained a confit kumquat in the middle. I had the cabane a sucre which contained a maple creme brulee(my favorite), a soufle of maple, meringue and cranberries which melted in my mouth, and a blueberry maple capuccino.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys variety in their meals. The trilogy idea is absolutely brilliant as you get to try so many different wonderful flavours.

It is less than a block from rue St.Jean in the heart of old Quebec.

I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank QC_Phoenix