“Disappointed”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Saint Jean
Description: Nestled in the heart of Old Quebec near the Saint-Jean Gate, with its 4 diamonds,the Patriarche beckons with its intimate setting and the refined decor of a beautiful, circa 1827 stone house. Inside, you'll discover that good things come in threes, as executive chef Stephane Roth shares his creativity with his celebrated "trilogies from the terroir"
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Was expecting fantastic food for a 5 diamond rating, but it didn't happen. The onion soup was down right awful. Bland broth over a raw piece of onion. The Elk was very tasty and the presentation was well laid out. The foie gras was average only. I enjoyed the desserts. We both wished we had eaten somewhere else especially spending $350 before tip. I don't understand how this place was rated so high.

1  Thank travelbuddy07

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I will start by saying it was a wonderful wonderful dining experience but we were there as a double couple and were a bit disappointed with the food selections and honestly the quality has been far better in less expensive restaurants my husband and I have been to in the past. Overall, if your find something you like online it's great but, i might choose another restaurants int he area to get more bang ....

Reviewed April 20, 2014

we went to eat at Le Patriarche last night 7 of us. Everybody was disappointed. Good, but under expectations. We went there thinking that a Five Diamond awarded restaurant would be exceptional. It is not. The worst part was the girls explaining the menus. They are not friendly. It was more like an oral contest. They never smiled and they got the job done really fast. The wine that they proposed to match the dishes were all very good. The place is very dark. and the tables are really close. . Average bill for each of us was 200$. We will hot give it another try. We are going back to Le Saint Amour where everything is better and more fun.

1  Thank Evelyn T
MAndreeTheriault, Gérant at Le Patriarche, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your review. It is always helpfull to have an idea what the customer like and dont like. We try our best each day of the year to improve ourself and make each visit to our restaurant a great experience.

About the service, our staff is a duty to serve the customers with a smile, kindness and professionalism. We don’t know what could happen during your visit. We invite you to contact us so that you can we share this inconvenience. Regarding the decor, the vast majority of our clients appreciate the charm of this old stone house in 1827 which is often described as a warm.

We take each critical in a constructive way in the purpose of we improve. We are sincerely sorry that this evening has been that disappointment.The description of your experience at the restaurant in any way correspond to our criteria and standard of service. Know that our staff is very receptive to all criticism, knowing onsite same evening they may have been correct all . Thank you for sharing your experience , you can contact us at any time to clarify this situation.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We knew about Le Patriarche since quite a while, but its newly awarded Five-Diamond convinced us to give it a try for a dinner. It is located in a little stone house, a off of St-Jean street. The environment is nicely appointed, although the tables are a tad close to each other. Unfortunately for us that night, behind us was a group of loud people.
The menu list is very short. There were, er, three items to choose from. Three themes from which a soup and two plates of three variations are served. That explains what is seen in the pictures. Many little things in each plate.
Before the soup was the bread and a little pâté to excite the tastebuds. The pâté was tasty but the bread did not belong to a restaurant of this rating. The execution of the plates that we received was perfect. I am sure that a lot of work was put in the presentation of all the ingredients in the plates. Unfortunately the taste was missing, or off of what it is supposed to be. (I expect hare to taste like hare) Is it because the chef was out of town (as I see another review from the same period with similar comments), but it was as if spices and condiments were not present. In this type of cuisine, we expect splashes of tastes, oppositions. But not that evening. I'd really like know what went wrong that night.
I can only hope that more recent reviews will set the clocks back to a good state. From this experience, Le Patriarche did not meet our expectations, especially at this price category in Quebec City. I wish them to improve, but I will not give another try.

3  Thank Felixc59
Reviewed April 6, 2014

we ordered the $82 and $107 prix fixe. Yes we knew about the prix fixe price before hand, but was expecting better food quality and service (especially from reading tripadvisor's reviews)

the food quality is very binary. chicken and fish were just blend. game poultry were too salty. even the lobster bisque is very salty. the minimum I would expect a fine dining restaurant to serve was a hot roll of bread. instead I god stale, cold bread. that's really a turn off.

service was so so as well. from waitresses not knowing how to pour wine, to not refilling our water to too much dead time in between course.... all the little things add up.

So I would say this is a not happily spent $350 (Would be at most $200 inclusive of wine)

2  Thank mmkchan