“Wonderful and welcoming”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had an impromptu dinner here after arriving in to Quebec earlier than planned on the first night of our visit. Although we came in just as the last group of 4 was leaving, the owners gladly welcomed us into their cozy space for a full meal. We started with divine escargots and beef carpaccio (the best carpaccio I've ever had - so fresh and light!), and then my husband had perfectly cooked sweetbreads and I had excellent cod with butter and caper sauce. It was so good that by now I've run out of positive adjectives to describe the meal! Even though we ate at fancier places in Quebec over the next three nights, we're still talking about what a lovely meal we had at Bistro du Cap. It really was the highlight of the trip.

1  Thank CSRNYC

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely lunch outdoors on their patio on a warm September afternoon. Their crepes were quite good, although the asparagus was over cooked. The lentil soup was delicious, and the rhubarb crisp for dessert was superb. Reasonable wine list but service a bit too brisk.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at the St. Antoine and were looking for a local bistro rather than going back up to the upper town. This bistro was a short walk from the hotel and we could not have been more pleased. The weather was nice, so we sat outside and ordered the smaller portions. The food was fresh and prepared well and simply-exactly what we look for in a bistro. The owner was our server and was a great mix of attentive and non-intrusive. The menu was simple but I loved my veal ravioli and salad, and my husband loved the escargot and the seafood stew (and a few of my ravioli!). We might be back later this week!

1  Thank BostonTraveler01
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were weary of the many tourist trap restaurants in Old Quebec, so we consulted Tripadvisor. Cafe Bistro du Cap was highly rated and didn't disappoint.
We walked by earlier in the day and made a reservation for 6:00 when it opens for dinner. The owner? was very friendly. The place is really small. I counted seating for 18, 6 of which were at a makeshift counter.
We arrived and were warmly greeted. Not many choices on the menu which tells me that what they do, they do well. We started with a two cheese plate. Cheddar from QC and Blue from France. Both excellent. I had a local dark beer and my partner had a glass of Sav Blanc. Both very good. For the main, I chose Lamb Shank with couscous. She had the Veal Ravioli with Mushroom sauce. Both were lightly spiced with the intent to bring out the natural flavour of the meat. It worked. The portions were not huge, but not tiny either.
For dessert, she had the Crème brûlée which she said was the best she's had. It had a nice liqueur flavour to it. My Rhubarb Crumble was above average.
Service was very good. The bill with tax and tip was $150.
I'd rate this experience a 4.5.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Normally my daughter, whose 10 years old, is the slowest eater in the family, but here she finished her veal ravioli in butter sauce first. The mushroom sauce was amazing. The cheese plate with 3 cheeses, pepper, and pecans was perfect. A yummy 3 berry crumble was the perfect ending. The staff was welcoming and friendly. Cozy and intimate. Won't disappoint.

1  Thank Tess C