We stayed here for five days off season. Coming from CT, we checked in late. The service desk provided us with a cart and we wheeled our luggage into the room. The first room was spacious but we soon found out it was muggy, the sink did not drain, and the fridge was broken (it was generating heat, really).
We addressed the issue the next night (the fridge was the last straw) with the front desk and were quickly accommodated. They switched us into another room that was beautiful--except the door did not work properly. You had to make sure it was pulled tightly into its sweet spot which required extra force. Lastly, the deadbolt did not work. The man, Guy, that helped us was extremely helpful and kind--he came back to address the door and told us no one would be able to force it open even without the deadbolt and he even brought us ice water from the bar.
However, not everyone was kind. Some of the front desk staff can be quite cold while other employees were warm. Housekeeping will always say hi and smile. They also promptly changed our sheets when requested.
When you come in they give you a free drink ticket for the bar next door. It's for a specific cocktail --which is fine. However, both bartenders were rude. We wanted a certain drink and were fine paying for it but they weren't friendly. They didn't acknowledge us or had any awareness of the liquors they stocked (we asked what whiskeys they carried and were promptly told just to read the menu--there were only three people at the bar other than us).
Across the hall you will find Le 48 which is a gem! It's not your usual hotel restaurant where the food is over priced and average tasting. You get innovative dishes for a reasonable price and everyone on staff is spectacular! We tried breakfast, lunch, and dinner on different days and were never disappointed. The service is always five star even if there's a line out the door.
The hotel is located in a wonderful spot. You can walk out the door and the port is your backyard. Parking is outdoors and we would imagine it being difficult during peak season since the lot is limited. $15 a day parking really is a steal for peace of mind. Laurie Raphael is an amazing dining experience and it's right across the street.
We rated this place average because we loved the location and the restaurant. The rooms are cozy and offer a kitchen with pots and pans. However, half the staff can be rude and the rooms really need maintenance before the season begins. For folks that are sensitive to the smell of gasoline there is a gas station next door. The smell rushes in if you open the window, nothing you can do, just close the window. The walls are also thin.
We made some friends and are planning a trip back in August/Sept. Before the stay, we thought it was steal when we found it online for $130 a night. After our stay, we're convinced we overpaid.
Not sure if we would stay here again or recommend it unless the hotel price drops.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This modern Old Quebec hotel is a 5-minute walk from the Notre Dame de Quebec Cathedral and 2 blocks from the Museum of Civilization. It features on-site dining. A full kitchen with oven, stovetop, and refrigerator is part of each suite at Hotel Port-Royal. Hardwood in all the suites. The living area is furnished with a sofa and cable TV. Free Wi-Fi is provided. In the morning, guests can have elaborated continental breakfast at the Pub du Vieux port or delivered to their room if requested. The contemporary Pub du Vieux port boasts stone walls and plenty of seating. The Citadelle of Quebec is within a 15-minute walk of the Port-Royal Hotel. The shore of the Saint Lawrence River is only 1 block away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TravelClick, Travelocity, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your L'Hotel Port-Royal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Port-Royal Quebec City
- L'Hotel Port-Royal Quebec/Quebec City