“Excellent value”

Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy)
Ranked #30 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent value”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I visited this hotel last weekend with my wife and teenage daughter. For the price I paid, we received excellent value. The room is great,, well insulated from sound. Only heard humming from ventilation. The rooms are great since this hotel is fairly recent. Breakfast, though not great, was good enough. Our only annoyance is limited parking during some construction work.
This will become my spot when visiting Quebec.

Overall, excellent value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, they are greatly appreciated. Please note that renovations/expansion will end by the end of April so the parking situation should be resolved shortly

We hope to see you again soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed here as a part of a business trip and it was pretty good. However, if I were travelling I would have preferred to stay at a more convenient location nearer to the attractions. It requires a private vehicle for travellers staying here. The good news is that they offer free parking.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor: we always value guest feedback. Public transportation is availbale near the hotel and has a direct line towards the Old Quebec. Otherwise, during high season (June to September) we offer a shuttle to our guests. Many transportation options are available at the hotel for easy access to activities.

We hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Best regards,

Nb Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

As a travel agent I expect hotels to meet all the basics... I need to be sure if I recommend the hotel to my clients they won't be disappointed ...

We stayed here for 4 nights, booked 2 rooms as travelling with 3 kids....the hotel is on ave des hotels, but not walking distance to shopping, restaurants...more of a highway location...it is minutes to Place Laurier and many restaurants etc.

The hotel has no pool, basic accommodations and a small gym on site. The rooms have had upgrades to bathroom...older tub but new vanities and tile work...towels are super hard/rough...so much so that my 9 year old cried and said I just can't shower the towels are so hard they hurt me! The floor in our room was laminate...strange choice for a hotel as coming in with wet snowy boot sect was a disaster we had towels at the door to clean up every time we came in. Older windows in this hotel and when you walk by the window in the room the floor was like ice...We were on the main level so might be worse then on an upper floor.

Free breakfast is really great especially travelling with 3 kids...everyone enjoyed something from the buffet style set up, but no waffle maker and a crepe machine that never functioned. They just changed the floor in the breakfast room to laminate while we were there also...it's a mess all the time...messy shoes make a mess...poor choice I feel the hotel mgmt will regret this choice of product for their floors...

We placed the please change our bed card on the bed..but seems they will only change the bed it is placed on..we still have dirty pillowcases on the other bed as no card to lay on it..crazy system...change the beds always...best procedure...yesterday our rooms were still not done at 3pm...

Would I return to this hotel....no...just too many better options in the area so many hotels...we have loved so many other hotels along this stretch...boul Laurier and in the old city...

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, they are presently under construction march 2014... So maybe wait until they...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your past stay. We truly appreciate your feedback and we were sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. Renovation projects will be completed by June. Amenities, furniture and linen are carefully selected by the brand according to rigorous standards throughout the chain. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you visit us again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here with my parents on our first visit to Quebec City. The hotel itself was located about a 10-15 minute drive from the attractions of Old Quebec City. We decided to stay here because this location was far more reasonably priced than anything we could find in the Old City. Also, the hotel offered a number of great amenities including free breakfast, free wi-fi, and free parking for my car. There was also a free shuttle that ran down to the Old City, but the schedule did not work with our plans so we drove down to the attractions instead. We parked near where the cruise ships depart in the Old City in a parking lot that had a flat fee for the whole day. It worked out really well for us.

The room itself was updated and modern. We stayed in a room with two queen beds and we had plenty of room for the three of us. The bathroom had all the necessary amenities. The hotel offered complimentary breakfast like most Holiday Inn Express properties and had a lot of good options including hot food items. However, the dining room itself was quite small and finding a table in the morning was a bit of a challenge. This hotel was very busy the weekend we visited but the hotel appeared to be staffed to handle the crowds. Food was replenished by the staff quickly and they kept the coffee brewing. I was very happy by the overall experience.

This isn't the fanciest option in the Quebec City area by any means. However, it is a great option if you are looking for comfort and a good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wandering03
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Going to business to Quebec city couple of times per month on the south shore, this location is perfect for me, only a couple of minutes from the bridges and the main highways if I need to go in Quebec itself. Also close to Boul. Laurier with its shopping malls and trendy restaurants

This is I believe the perfect HI express they should be aiming for. There is a boutique hotel vibe to it. small but cozy lobby. Rooms are simple, but modern, friendly staff, kuddos to the breakfast set-up and excellent service. No wonder why they are expending.

Gym is rather small so I avoid it. There is a lack of parkimg spots right now. Hope it will be resolved with the expension.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near Quebec City last weekend with our children it's was a pleasant experience. The front desk people are exceptional and at the breakfast room, both food and staff are great. The room was clean and comfortable . We loved the fact that the floor of the room was wood and not ot carpet. We had a great time !!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gagnonfamily
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel with nice decor, basic amenities, and freeway access, this is a pretty good hotel. I am struggling though to come up with an over-the-top review as it just doesn't make me want to exude joy. Let me try to break this down.

Decor - Pros

I found the decor of the hotel lobby and rooms to be above average. The style is very modern and some things got my attention. The bathroom immediately looked gorgeous to me with a big basin-like sink, beautiful tile that almost looked like bamboo, and modern faucets. The hotel room floor was not carpeted but had laminate wood flooring. The furniture itself was modern, almost minimalistic; efficient, not bulky, and "clean" looking. I cannot lie - I was very impressed when I first walked in. I have since taken pics and shared them here.

Decor - Cons

However, USING the amenities within the room itself changed some of my reaction. The floors were LOUD - my own walking, but especially the walking of my neighbors. I get it with the snow and such, it makes sense to not have carpet. But it DID negatively affect my sleeping experience. They were also COLD. Then the beautiful bathroom! The counter was low, and I am not that tall at 5'6". I found it to be uncomfortable. The bathroom lighting was very cool, but did NOT offer usable light! Instead of having lights on the wall with the mirror, they are ABOVE the bathroom and are halogen lights. Putting on my makeup was nearly impossible as it shone down and my face was pretty much in shadow. And, a topic in almost every post I make........the room itself was pretty worthless when it came to outlets. The only usable outlet that was reasonable to access was on the desk lamp. This was NOT near the bed, so for those who use your cell phone as an alarm clock, be prepared to have to trek across the room when it goes off. If you have need of more than 2 outlets, you're pretty much out of luck. I find this amazingly frustrating and very much a lack of planning for such an established hotel chain.

Free Breakfast - Pros

The seating area of the hotel was large, had many tables, and during "rush hour" the staff were excellent at getting more food out, cleaning and clearing tables, and such. The food offering was basic - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, dry cereal, toast, pancake machine. Oh, I missed an important part - TATER TOTS! I am not going to lie.....I loved those and felt a bit like a kid when I saw them.

Free Breakfast - Cons

Eggs were cold every. Single. Day. Not even warm. Not even sort of warm. Cold.The area where you get the food was small and hard to navigate if there was more than 3 people in it, and every morning I was there, there were usually 7-8 bumping and fighting for their place on the floor. Add the plates we were bound to be carrying and it did get awkward. To add trouble, the trash cans are situated in the cabinet/island where some of the food is, so fighting to throw your trash away while the others are fighting to get their food was.......interesting.

Check in Process - Pros

We arrived late - close to 11pm - and the night staff consisted of one person at the counter when we arrived, which was a little disappointing. However, said staff was efficient, friendly, and helpful. There were four of us checking in and the process was very fast.

Check in Process - Cons

As a "frequent stay member", I am used to getting SOMETHING when I check in. What I really wanted was water. I got zilch, nada, nothing. I shrugged that off and thought I was maybe being a bit snobbish until I got to my room. I walked in, entered the room, and immediately felt the cold chill of a freezing room. Knowing this was not my first rodeo, I proceeded to turn the thermostat up (which - pro - had a quick toggle to Fahrenheit for my USA mind). I could tell immediately nothing happened. Was the heater working? I noticed a setting for "auto fan" and "fan on" and though I'd try just turning it on. Nothing happened. I walked to the wall unit (this was on the ground floor) to confirm this wasn't just a very quiet system, and NOTHING was happening except me shivering. I hadn't even removed my jacket and I was cold. So I immediately called the front desk, which I had left less than 5 minutes before. This time a different person answered, and although he was "pleasant", when I explained the situation, he wanted to send maintenance to check things out. I was tired, however, and wanted to just sleep and asked if I could just have a new room. He asked for a few minutes, I clarified what that meant, and he said "two minutes". I hung up, kept messing with the thermostat, and decided no.......I was too tired for this! I pulled my luggage and backpack, headed to the door, and yes two minutes later a knock on my door. It was the man from the front desk here to check out the heater. He informed me that he had looked at the system and determined my heater WAS working. I looked at him, said "does this room feel warm to you?" and proceeded to nicely ask for a new room. There was a bit of a push to discuss how the heater was working, but after a short time he took my keys, we went the small walk to the front desk and he assigned the new room. What irked me, however, in doing so he kept insisting that the heater was working, which translated to me that I was dumb or something. I am not sure that was even necessary, though technically I got what I wanted and the new room heater DID work and I was comfortable, which was good since it was below zero degrees Fahrenheit that night.

Wow, that was longer than I expected - sorry!

Misc - Pros

The lobby has a cool fireplace that gives off some nice heat on cold days. The room in general seem to have been quiet except for the mentioned hard flooring walking. The room was very clean. Free internet with a password and the connection was mostly reasonable. There were a few blips of slowness here and there, but nothing irritating.

Misc - Cons

I did hear someone somewhere using the bathroom and I would say that was unpleasant. There is construction going on, which is clearly displayed as a warning in the lobby, but it was interesting to hear banging on pipes or something before 7am. So be prepared to hear that if you stay here at least at this time. The "free pen" to use to take notes on the desk is actually a pencil, and at least in my room it was not sharpened so was worthless. The rooms were a little smaller than other places I've stayed recently, and I would not recommend the two queen room for more than 2 people. But it was not crazy small.

Overall, if your #1 goal is a fairly good night of sleep at a reasonable price, this is a great place to stay. If you have need for more function, you might be a bit frustrated. I am fairly certain that I will find different accommodations when next in Quebec.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear gmdimples33,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J