“Unfortunate”

Restaurant Banlao
Ranked #200 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Cite Universitaire
Montreal
“Unfortunate”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Expectations were high after reading the reviews on this site. However, the most important aspect of any restaurant is the food. And this is where Restaurant Banlao faltered.
The first dish that I ordered was the crab and asparagus soup. Watery and rather bland.
The main dish was the curried shrimp. The sauce was far too watery, and the shrimp were overdone.
The jasmine tea was acceptable, but I would have expected a pot of tea, not just a cup with no refills offered. The best part was the lotus cookie. That managed to be quite a tasty treat, although on the oily side.
I guess the redeeming feature is that this establishment is that it is a "bring your own wine" place, if that is what you are looking for.
I do not normally write reviews, but I feel that I had to add my very ordinary experience to the rest of the commentaries.